Thread: Destiny 2

Tasty Danish

Destiny 2

I'm amazed that we don't have a main Destiny 2 thread yet, so I figured I'd start one.

Gameplay Premiere (actual gameplay starts at the 24:24 mark ):

Looks very neat, and I'll most definitely give it a whirl once it's out on PC.

Oh, wait - did I say "out on PC?". We actually don't know when that will be, but it will not be at the same time as the Console version.

Console launch will be on the 8th of September, 2017.

PC gamer has a bigger writeup.

Another big piece of news: The PC version will use the Battle.net as a distribution platform, and will be fully integrated with battle.net.

Yes, this means that you can buy Destiny 2 with WoW gold.
    Yes, this did cause the WoW to spike in price momentarily. We'll see how it behaves.

My thoughts:
    I'll definitely get it. How much will I play? No idea, it very much depends on how many of my online friends will be picking it up.
    Battle.net integration means EU/US segregation, I guess?

And the "consoles first, PC later" is just plain annoying. I won't be getting a PS4 to get this game. But, hey, I guess someone forked over a wad of cash to make sure it made it to consoles first.
    "Silver bullet solutions are rare, silver bullet sales commonplace"

Systems Administrator
    Blog Entries

Re: Destiny 2

Still no dedicated servers. Local client games on PC = good luck with hackers.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    "Complaining is the modern metagame" - BNet forums

Tasty Danish

Quote Originally Posted by Nadiar View Post
    Still no dedicated servers. Local client games on PC = good luck with hackers.

Wait, what?
    So the multiplayer/single player games are hosted on your own PC? As in old-style Duke Nukem 3D hosted?

Systems Administrator
    Blog Entries

Yep, it's peer-to-peer multiplayer.

"Complaining is the modern metagame" - BNet forums

Tasty Danish

Quote Originally Posted by Nadiar View Post
    Yep, it's peer-to-peer multiplayer.

Wow. Ok, it hadn't even occurred to me that this was a possibility in 2017.

Yeah, nope. This plants it squarely in the "entertaining for an hour, not to be taken seriously"-category for me.

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

I don't suppose it is really that surprising, it is a console game first and foremost after all and that's how they do it. I still remember when Activision tried to stop providing dedicated servers for Call of Duty. Made it pretty obvious who they think butters their bread.

Might not be that big a deal, I sort of think the PVE stuff is more interesting anyway. I wouldn't let it stop me from trying it. Others may feel free to disagree, but the only reason to do PVP in Destiny is for dailies/weeklies, and at that point you are probably already playing too much Destiny.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawlin View Post
    I'm amazed that we don't have a main Destiny 2 thread yet, so I figured I'd start one.

And the "consoles first, PC later" is just plain annoying. I won't be getting a PS4 to get this game. But, hey, I guess someone forked over a wad of cash to make sure it made it to consoles first.
    We've talked about it a little in a few Other Games threads, but there wasn't really a need for anything more until they released more information at that big event.

From what little I've seen so far, I like getting to see more of the Cabal but am moderately surprised at all the reports that it feels like just another expansion on Destiny 1. I thought that if your characters wouldn't carry over there would be a damn good mechanical reason for it. But it sounds like they just want to reset gear levels and build new classes. I guess I can't blame them.

I was amused that they came up with a plot explanation for it as well. Reminded me of the Metroid thing where the main character in a sequel loses all their powers at the beginning and has to reacquire them again. Though I think it might have made a more interesting sequel if the real reason for all this was because you were working for that faction that gets their power from dark, rather than light.

P.S. I don't really think a wad of cash is required. It's coming to PC because they were successful enough to fund extra development, but it is at its heart still the console shooter it started out as.
    Last edited by Wool; May 20th, 2017 at 06:51 AM.

Tasty Danish

Quote Originally Posted by Wool View Post
    I don't suppose it is really that surprising, it is a console game first and foremost after all and that's how they do it.
    I honestly had no idea that's how they did it. I quite seriously thought that it went away with the previous generations of shooters.

Somehow all of the aimbot things make sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Wool
    Might not be that big a deal, I sort of think the PVE stuff is more interesting anyway. I wouldn't let it stop me from trying it. Others may feel free to disagree, but the only reason to do PVP in Destiny is for dailies/weeklies, and at that point you are probably already playing too much Destiny.
    Oh, I'm going to get it - but I just can't put as much effort into caring. If I know that someone can hack the client to get godmode and whatnot, I lose interest.
    Yes, I know there have been several exploits on WoW. It's certainly not a care-free never-hacked environment. But I'll lower my PvP expectations and expect to get aimbotted from time to time.

I'll try not to rage too much

I am guessing the Bnet thing is why you cannot preorder Destiny digital on PC. They are locking that in and it will just be done there.

While no dedicated servers worries me, It would be nice if consoles could support MKB. Its not like they do not have USB ports, Sure they could not support advanced features due to drivers not existing but the most basic functions could be handled.
    "When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    — Jerry Seinfeld

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

I think MKB does work on consoles, it just isn't supported in games. It might be more convenient for a PC gamer, but there is an entire market of people who grew up learning to play with sticks and it wouldn't really be fair to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawlin View Post
    Oh, I'm going to get it - but I just can't put as much effort into caring. If I know that someone can hack the client to get godmode and whatnot, I lose interest.
    Yes, I know there have been several exploits on WoW. It's certainly not a care-free never-hacked environment. But I'll lower my PvP expectations and expect to get aimbotted from time to time.

I'll try not to rage too much
    Destiny's PVP might be some of the more frustrating that I've played even without taking cheaters into consideration. It was like being eaten alive by wolves. I'm not sure I have ever been so badly outmatched in a shooter before, and I was already familiar with console shooters before playing. Killzone? Uncharted? I do fine. Destiny? Where's my spleen?

Tasty Danish

Destiny's PVP might be some of the more frustrating that I've played even without taking cheaters into consideration. It was like being eaten alive by wolves. I'm not sure I have ever been so badly outmatched in a shooter before, and I was already familiar with console shooters before playing. Killzone? Uncharted? I do fine. Destiny? Where's my spleen?
    Question: Does gear acquired through PvE affect your PvP performance?

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

General Crucible PVP modes scaled everyone's standard stats to be on a level playing field. Unique properties of gear could still come into play. For example, I had a sniper rifle that could penetrate walls. Certain weapons were also notorious for having amazing performance, but it wasn't the same insurmountable challenge that trying to beat people with raid gear in WoW was.

Due to popular demand, they later added a couple additional modes (Iron Banner and Trials of Osiris?) in which your level and your gear did matter. When I played these were always limited time events.

And the gear almost certainly wasn't why I found it so difficult, the other people were simply that much better than me. I assumed they were diehard Bungie fans or something.

P.S. Forgot to add earlier, that a non Blizzard game on Bnet is freaking weird, same company or not.
    Last edited by Wool; May 21st, 2017 at 04:36 AM.

All hat & no cattle

P.S. Forgot to add earlier, that a non Blizzard game on Bnet is freaking weird, same company or not.
    It's actually a damn shame, as Dawlin mentioned earlier, that (probably) means regional segregation, which is even more odd when the game is supposedly peer-to-peer.
    That segregation combined with a delayed PC launch, makes it a lot less interesting unfortunately.
    I did like The Division quite a lot and many seems to think this is very similar, but might be much better gameplay-wise, so I have been eyeing Destiny 2 a bit.

the thing is no dedicated servers makes even less sense if the PC version will be interfaced with via Bnet. Why not just host it on Bnet for PC users then.

tbh I have always been surprised that Activision did not assimilate Bnet when they merged with Blizzard. It is likely the most solid PC online gaming service period.
    "When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    — Jerry Seinfeld

All hat & no cattle

Quote Originally Posted by FilanFyretracker View Post
    the thing is no dedicated servers makes even less sense if the PC version will be interfaced with via Bnet. Why not just host it on Bnet for PC users then.

tbh I have always been surprised that Activision did not assimilate Bnet when they merged with Blizzard. It is likely the most solid PC online gaming service period.
    Maybe it runs so well, because it only hosts a few games all made by the same company. :-)

If more games than Division 2 is to be hosted through Bnet, I really hope they dump regional segregation. It is annoying to often get paired with russians while playing Starcraft 2 Co-Op, because it is pretty difficult to communicate when we don't even have the same alphabet. /petpeeve off

Regional barriers should go and maybe just have a tiny warning when you go outside your region that "Latency may be higher than you will find acceptable".
    — Jerry Seinfeld

Tasty Danish

Quote Originally Posted by FilanFyretracker View Post
    Regional barriers should go and maybe just have a tiny warning when you go outside your region that "Latency may be higher than you will find acceptable".
    I mean - most of us on this board are here BECAUSE of a game with no regional barriers. I played EQ and EQ2 on a non-EU server, and never had any issues.

Blizzard don't stop me (in the UK) playing WoW on US servers (I used to play on EU servers). In the BNet client I just have to select Europe or North America and can log on to whichever servers I want. The only issue I have is that you can't transfer characters between the two. My latency is about 120ms and I've had no issues in Raids.

It wasn't always this way though, of course, although when WoW first came out I played on US servers because there weren't any EU servers.
    Herb
    Blog

Tasty Danish

Quote Originally Posted by HerbertDypp View Post
    Blizzard don't stop me (in the UK) playing WoW on US servers (I used to play on EU servers). In the BNet client I just have to select Europe or North America and can log on to whichever servers I want. The only issue I have is that you can't transfer characters between the two. My latency is about 120ms and I've had no issues in Raids.

It wasn't always this way though, of course, although when WoW first came out I played on US servers because there weren't any EU servers.
    But that's just it - it IS segregation. I can't tank/DPS any M+ for the remaining US Alliance Graffe people, because I can't use my character.

I did the same thing as you between November 2004 and February 2005. Played on the US Doomhammer server until the EU servers opened.

I'm still amazed that I can't play with my EU character on US realms. Hell, teleport us into the dungeon if you need to - they're on a separate instance server anyhow.
    It's not like they haven't had TIME to think about a decent solution.