Thread: Wheel of Time TV Series moving forward

Elder Arcanist

Wheel of Time TV Series moving forward

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/whee...ny-1202390897/

The long-gestating “Wheel of Time” TV series adaptation is moving forward with Sony Pictures Television.
    Sony will produce along with Red Eagle Entertainment and Radar Pictures. Rafe Judkins is attached to write and executive produce. Judkins previously worked on shows such as ABC’s “Agents of SHIELD,” the Netflix series “Hemlock Grove,” and the NBC series “Chuck.” Red Eagle partners Rick Selvage and Larry Mondragon will executive produce along with Radar’s Ted Field and Mike Weber. Darren Lemke will also executive produce, with Jordan’s widow Harriet McDougal serving as consulting producer.
    Wonder how many seasons it would take to do justice to the full story? Hopefully less than 1 season per book...

Elder Arcanist
    Crazy Bard

Re: Wheel of Time TV Series moving forward

I hope they do not make a tv show out of it. It can't possibly be done right and I'd rather not have it ruined or corrupted.
    If I wanted to be ignored I'd go to work.

Tasty Danish

Didn't they make a horrible version just to keep the rights some years back? Ah, yes - they did:

That was resolved, apparently. I have hopes for this one, but it needs a major budget.

I want Clancy Brown to play Lan. Lan IS an old fighter (Brown is 58), so it would be somewhat fitting.
    Last edited by Dawlin; April 20th, 2017 at 03:35 PM.
    "Silver bullet solutions are rare, silver bullet sales commonplace"

Elder Arcanist

That's what people said about Gamed of Thrones. There are a lot of large scale battles though that will be very expensive to produce, if they get that far into the story. I say give it a shot.

Elder Arcanist

Quote Originally Posted by Dawlin View Post
    Didn't they make a horrible version just to keep the rights some years back? Ah, yes - they did:
    Yeah, I saw that... apparently it was posted to TBS or some cable channel at like 1:30 in the morning just so they could say they were using the rights. It was terribad!

Tasty Danish

Quote Originally Posted by Dramadon View Post
    That's what people said about Gamed of Thrones. There are a lot of large scale battles though that will be very expensive to produce, if they get that far into the story. I say give it a shot.
    Plus magic is commonplace, once you get a bit into the story. Lots of CGI needed in "everyday" situations, but GoT has got that in spades.

Ellsworth M. Toohey

Quote Originally Posted by Dramadon View Post
    That's what people said about Gamed of Thrones.
    Those people included George R. R. Martin himself, to some extent:

Quote Originally Posted by George R. R. Martin
    I had worked in Hollywood myself for about 10 years, from the late ’80s to the ’90s. I’d been on the staff of The Twilight Zone and Beauty and the Beast. All of my first drafts tended to be too big or too expensive. I always hated the process of having to cut.

I said, “I’m sick of this, I’m going to write something that’s as big as I want it to be, and it’s going to have a cast of characters that go into the thousands, and I’m going to have huge castles, and battles, and dragons.”

We’d had a couple of meetings with other scriptwriters, and most of them wanted to do it as a feature film. Even Tolkien took three feature films, and three Tolkien [novels] are as long as one of my books. That got me thinking, “How could it be done?” I knew it couldn’t be done as a network television series. It’s too adult. The level of sex and violence would never have gone through. I said, “The one way this could be done is by HBO.”
    http://ew.com/article/2011/04/04/gam...ge-r-r-martin/
    Last edited by PPatty; April 20th, 2017 at 06:13 PM.

Forum Channeler

So, lots of slow panning close-ups of hair tugging and skirts splitted for riding then? =p

Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    So, lots of slow panning close-ups of hair tugging and skirts splitted for riding then? =p
    LOL you beat me to that joke!!!!

Game of Thrones has much better written and plotted material to start with. WoT is kinda trash.

Tasty Danish

Heh. Yes.

Elder Arcanist

And all of the women should be well endowed with tops cut low to show their ample cleavage about to spill out... Why is it every woman Mat met in the books was described that way? Supposedly, Jordan based a lot of the women in WoT on his wife. I wonder how she feels about that?

But of course, it is well known that Perrin knows more about women than Mat, so they should focus the story on him. But Mat knows more about women than Rand, so I guess they should focus the story on him. But wait, Rand obviously knows more about women then Perrin, so maybe they should focus on him more. They should discuss this frequently amongst themselves.

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

You know, tugged hair hurts. It's no wonder they were sour all the time after doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Khieran View Post
    And all of the women should be well endowed with tops cut low to show their ample cleavage about to spill out... Why is it every woman Mat met in the books was described that way?
    Unreliable narrator maybe? If those chapters were from Mat's point of view, they would be distorted based on the way he sees the world, and he's kind of a lech.

99% Bacon Free
    Blog Entries

Haha, beat me to it!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk