Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Mass Effect: Andromeda

Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda

Tempest is not alone, look up the RSI Constellation in Star Citizen.
    "When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    — Jerry Seinfeld

Forum Sorcerer

So I finished the game (97% completion, I'll take it) and I stand by my initial comments - this is a good game that could have been truly great with another 9 months of development and some better artists/animators. Extra points because its Mass Effect and I love the universe. All the irrational hatred is just that - irrational. People saying this is a horrible game are just wrong. I am now into P5, and THAT is a truly astonishingly amazing game. I will make a post about that one once I'm a bit further in.
    The more I learn the more I realize I have yet to learn.

Lots of people hated on the animations alone and yet I have just done a Shepard Trilogy run and those games have questionable animation too. I have seen more than a few times where characters did 180deg head turns during conversation.
    "When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    — Jerry Seinfeld

Elder Arcanist

I don't understand the hatred for this game as well. The only negative I can find are some of the animations and the bugs. Everything else is top notch Mass Effect.

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by FilanFyretracker View Post
    Lots of people hated on the animations alone and yet I have just done a Shepard Trilogy run and those games have questionable animation too.
    Understatement right there. Some of those animations were abysmal, but you put up with them because everything else was so good, and on a certain level the badness was endearing in a way.

A few things are going on here, but one of the easiest to explain is that people are more than a little spoiled by excellence, and start to expect it by default going forward. People thought Andromeda should be better, because other games that have released since Mass Effect 3 have been better.

Quote Originally Posted by Arinath View Post
    I am now into P5, and THAT is a truly astonishingly amazing game. I will make a post about that one once I'm a bit further in.
    I was thinking about making a thread for it, but have been so engrossed that I haven't made time for it. It's so good.
    Last edited by Wool; April 17th, 2017 at 09:13 AM.

Elder Arcanist

I agree with what you said about the critique but everything else is so good. Maybe the Mass Effect setting and the other aspects of the game/series/story just hits the sweet spot for the perfect game for me. Sure, I'd like the animations to be better and the bugs to not be there but everything else is perfect for me.

Horizons: Zero Dawn is in the same category for me.

Elder Arcanist

Just finished the game. It was a typical Mass Effect ending. Wrapped up the main Kett storyline although there are still some pretty big questions to be explored in DLC and future games (hoping they have one, I haven't heard anything about sales of this game).

Spoiler for unanswered questions:

1. Who runs the Kett? Is there more to it than just assimilate the galaxy? How much of the galaxy have they assimilated? (Predicting this is part of the main storyline for the next game)
    2. Was there more to what the Remnant wanted or was their goal to just create livable planets and then have the Angaran manage all of it? (Probably will be provided in bits and pieces in all content. We already know quite a bit about it).
    3. Who hates the Jardaan and would resort to WMD's to fight them? (My guess is this is dealing with this would be the main plot for a 3rd game)
    4. What about the Qurian Ark? (DLC content is my guess)
    5. Can we please have a Hanaran companion? I really think it will be cool to have this floating jellyfish thing fighting along beside me.
    6. Who is the benefactor? My first thought was the Illusive Man but it doesn't make sense that it would be so...egalitarian in the inclusion of other races. Plus, we know the Illusive Man didn't make the trip but surely he sent representatives and I'm not talking about those tools that actually got kicked out of Cerberus for testing mind control hardware (It's possible to get kicked out of Cerberus for being too risky?!?!). My guess is Reyes, but that just seems too easy. I kind of like the idea of a powerful underground taking root and forming completely in Andromeda. I'm positive we've already met this person as well. Addison could be another possibility. That lady is dirty.
    7. Are they ever going to actually put weapons on ships? I understand why they wouldn't do this in the first place but as forward thinking as this process was they had to realize the likelyhood of running into resistance. The game did provide an adequate explanation for why the Kett never went after the Nexus, imo. That seemed like an obvious target and I kept wondering why the Kett wouldn't just eliminate this new threat once they had proven to be more than just a nuisance. Although the attraction of the Asari genetic abilities may have been enough to make them not want to eliminate the new people outright.

My opinion here now is this, Even if MEA had been the best coded and best animated game ever to grace our GPUs it would still have piles of hate because what its doing is bringing the Kirk vs Picard factor to Mass Effect.
    — Jerry Seinfeld

Elder Arcanist

Quote Originally Posted by FilanFyretracker View Post
    My opinion here now is this, Even if MEA had been the best coded and best animated game ever to grace our GPUs it would still have piles of hate because what its doing is bringing the Kirk vs Picard factor to Mass Effect.
    True. People will never get over the fact that the Shepard story is over. Assuming more of these Mass Effect games get made I predict the love for this first game will increase as rose colored glasses start to arrive.

I kinda think in my headcanon that despite that really good high EMS destroy ending that shep is dead. Maybe he clung on for a bit longer and maybe medics even found him but could not do much to help. And then of course the rebuilding started I like to figure to help folks get around while they patch up the relays or build totally new replacements that they fit ODSY drives to a handful of ships to serve as long range ferries. (ODSY drives are the ones from the Initiative used to avoid needing to discharge every few LY).

I actually have tried to imagine how a systems alliance relay would look and its likely more angular like their ships.
    — Jerry Seinfeld

Buckeye Wizard

Finally finished the other day. 130 hours, 99% complete, was level 69. Went out and shot a few Kett to ding 70.

I thought it was awesome. Granted, I absolutely love the Mass Effect universe.

I thought the combat was great. I liked the flexibility of abilities, and the fact you could earn enough points to max out almost everything (of relevance, or re-spec).

I enjoyed the story line and thought it was relatively realistic given it's time frame. I thought it was a MASSIVE amount of content and some pretty cool quest lines.

-And while there could have been a bit more explained with the ending, I still found it pretty epic and enjoyable as well.

As far as nit-picking complaints:

Not enough dialogue changes with squadmates and NPC's of interest. You could almost exhaust them all on first meeting. The first three games, I was obsessive compulsive about visiting each one and talking to them after every mission, and most of the time there was new dialogue. Not the case in this game. There were a few after some very significant main plot missions, but nothing like the first three.

Spoiler for Too Soon For Spoilers?:

I hated that the Quarian ark never showed up, but it seems like that's going to be a DLC?

-A minor complaint about alot of games of this genre: How you get bombarded by an enormous amount of quests opening up after completing major plot tasks. It seems like that could be done with a smoother transition.

-Love interests seemed kind of weaksauce.

Spoiler for Just in case:

I didn't feel like there was ANY choices to be made that had significant, long-lasting consequences, like Killing Wrex and Ashley / Kaidan, or the Rachni Queen in ME1, or Mordin's quest in ME2, etc.

I was hoping for alot more Easter Eggs and throw-backs from the previous 3 games. There were a few, but not enough at all for my liking.

-I would have liked a little more information fleshed out with the ending.
    Nerkahia
    Retired 85 Wizard of Ascentia, The Nameless

"Maybe if the Republicanoids weren't snorting coke off oil execs dicks, we could have had less dependancy on oil by now!!" - Silverblade-T-E

Elder Arcanist

Spoiler for consequential decisions:
    I think there were a few but they may not pan out until later games. This game was all about set-up.

1) Saving the crazy AI. She is crazy and I think she will be a factor in later games. At least I hope she does otherwise it's just a complete waste of a pretty significant questline.
    2) Pathfinder decisions. Evidently, if you keep all of the original Pathfinders that you can then the Hyperion doesn't crash at the end of the game (Having experienced Pathfinders instead of a bunch of rookies makes them more efficient at fighting off the invading forces). I'm not sure what impact that will have in later games but that's a pretty huge difference in starting position for the next game. I saved the Krogan (I can't believe how badly the other races treat those guys. Talk about kicking a sleeping giant...) and turned in the Turian pathfinder so I have no idea if that is true or not.
    3) You can finish the game without finding out about your mother, however I think that plotline will be brought back into line in future games.

There still isn't anything as significant as the Ashley/Kaidan decision but I kind of don't mind it because no matter how they played it out it would have just been seen as trying to duplicate the scenarios of the first Mass Effect. In fact, I kind of wonder if the choices are just far less obvious and we won't know the significance until the trilogy (or more?) plays out. If so, I think that will be very cool.

I think they minimized call backs to the OT so it could be its own game. We will never recontact MW because then Bioware would have to pick a default canon ending for ME3, I imagine if they did that they would have to deal with torches and Pitchforks.
    — Jerry Seinfeld

Buckeye Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Dramadon View Post
    Spoiler for consequential decisions:

2) Pathfinder decisions. Evidently, if you keep all of the original Pathfinders that you can then the Hyperion doesn't crash at the end of the game

Holy CRAP! I hadn't heard that lol. That makes me seriously ponder a second play through if true lol.

Spoiler for Although:

Although I kind of like how the crash was handled myself.

Nerkahia
    Retired 85 Wizard of Ascentia, The Nameless

"Maybe if the Republicanoids weren't snorting coke off oil execs dicks, we could have had less dependancy on oil by now!!" - Silverblade-T-E

Elder Arcanist

Quote Originally Posted by Nerkahia View Post
    Holy CRAP! I hadn't heard that lol. That makes me seriously ponder a second play through if true lol.

Spoiler for Although:

Although I kind of like how the crash was handled myself.

Well I don't have the time for another play through so let me know if it's true when you do it