Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Mass Effect: Andromeda

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda

I thought they were done with these, but they just released another official video, this time highlighting the multiplayer.

It's basically ME3's multiplayer again. With how secretive they have been regarding multiplayer I thought they were going to try something a little more daring, but ME3's mp was good so it isn't a great loss. The main difference now is what you get out of doing it. Instead of contributing to changes in the story you get item rewards. Additionally, there is an npc strike team mechanic for anyone who doesn't want to play multiplayer in order to get the same or similar rewards.

For anyone who didn't play ME3 multiplayer and can't watch the video above, it's basically a four player wave survival game. Character kits are predetermined and defined by race and class, usually highlighting only a few specific abilities.
    Last edited by Wool; March 15th, 2017 at 09:21 AM.

Check the
    Track Record
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wool View Post
    They aren't. I was referencing things I've read about Turians having avian features (legs, talons, beaks, crests). Grindel is probably just really sensitive.
    I AM NOT BEING SENSITIVE ABOUT TALI YOU JUST DON'T KNOW HER LIKE I DO SHE'S REALLY SWEET AND WOULD NEVER EVER RUN OFF WITH QUARIAN SCIENTISTS AND HUNKY QUARIAN SPACE MARINES... again.... leaving me all alone... SHE'S CHANGED.

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

I watched the first hour of this. Well skimmed it really, skipped story stuff, watched combat and UI stuff. I already have ideas on what the story might be about, and if I'm right I find it to be absolutely hilarious.

Spoiler for spoilers? first hour:

The gameplay at the beginning of the game seems to consist of powering up some ancient alien structures guarded by robot things. Periodically you would be attacked by an antagonistic alien race called the Kett.

How much do you want to bet that the Kett are trying to stop you from messing with the ancient alien tech, perhaps specifically from awakening something that should be left well enough alone?

I just find it hilarious that you would come from a galaxy about to be attacked by ancient evil robot things and the first thing you do in the new galaxy is wake up some more. Your people don't know about the Reapers, but still...

watch mass entertainment in general... Human(oids) have an amazing habit of "digging too deep".

Of course to be fair at least with the reapers it was not humans that woke em up, They are just on a timer like a desk lamp when you go away on vacation... a desk lamp that decides to purge the galaxy of life when the timer clicks on.
    "When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    — Jerry Seinfeld

Buckeye Wizard

Quite a few reviews are out already. I liked this one:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...meda-problems/

I have to admit I'm getting pretty excited about getting this downloaded to start playing.

Wondering if I'm going to need to upgrade my video card though (GTX 750). It handled Doom pretty well, but I'm still nervous.
    Nerkahia
    Retired 85 Wizard of Ascentia, The Nameless

"Maybe if the Republicanoids weren't snorting coke off oil execs dicks, we could have had less dependancy on oil by now!!" - Silverblade-T-E

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

You can play a 10 hour trial if you are willing to spend a minimum of $5 on Ea/Origin's subscription service. It's what I ended up doing to see if my own computer would run it, justified because I'll have access to that new Mirror's Edge game as well and $5 is what I paid for the first one.

I just haven't actually finished downloading it yet, because my internet is shit, and today it has been even shittier. Give me that sweet, sweet 30 KB/sec.

Buckeye Wizard

You can play a 10 hour trial if you are willing to spend a minimum of $5 on Ea/Origin's subscription service.
    Damn, I didn't know that! Thanks for the info; damn tempting. I'm on the road next week and have a kind of busy weekend, but maybe I can find some time tomorrow night or Sunday.

Either way I'll be anxious to hear thoughts on the trial!

Nerkahia
    Retired 85 Wizard of Ascentia, The Nameless

"Maybe if the Republicanoids weren't snorting coke off oil execs dicks, we could have had less dependancy on oil by now!!" - Silverblade-T-E

At this point I will just wait till opening day.
    "When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    — Jerry Seinfeld

I read a couple of fairly mediocre reviews today.

Cuddly Fuzzy Postdoc

Nobody emulates Hedonism Bot quite like Internet Game Reviewers.

It's hard to find honest game reviews in general. Main stream gaming media gives 10/10 to any company who will give them hookers and blow. And general internet reviews may or may not have an axe to grind.
    — Jerry Seinfeld

I can read a review and get about 80 percent accuracy in terms of what I will like. Occasionally, a good game gets by me but that's what you all are for!!!

It's only occasionally you get a weird "No Man's Sky" situation where the reviews are all over the place and I actually liked the game.

Lost Bard
    Even More Lost Bard

The review embargo for this lifted today and they're a bit all over the place.

https://www.reddit.com/r/masseffect/...ew_megathread/

For what it's worth, I put ten hours into the EA Access trial and enjoyed it greatly. I plan on playing it pretty much non-stop starting Tuesday evening and have taken the rest of the week off from there on out to give myself a nice long period of uninterrupted playtime.

This game scratches my Mass Effect itch. I can't really ask for more than that.

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

Reviews are most useful when you stop worrying about the score, and instead learn how to differentiate between the things you like and the things the reviewer likes. They make you aware of things you might need to know; you may or not agree, but that awareness was vital to making the decision.

In this game's case, I think there are a few things that can explain the mixed reception. For one thing, a new studio within Bioware's umbrella made this. Following up on a beloved franchise is a tough thing, but they have particularly big shoes to fill and it's easy to understand how sometimes things might not match up. A lot of people also didn't like Inquisition's mmo inspired format, which would be reason to not like this one as well.

I can't explain the ridiculous fan reaction though. People are driving themselves into an imbecilic frenzy. Make no mistake, the face tech is a little goofy. Anyone expecting Uncharted/Last of Us worthy facial animations is out of their gourd though. If you take this kind of thing very seriously you may have a hard time playing this, even in the scant hour I played I saw a couple instances of hilarious goof ups. Most of the time it is fine, no more androidian than the previous games, but every now and then the puppet strings get pulled taut and someone makes a face, or walks backwards in the distance, or something worth laughing at.

For my part, the trial confirmed that my cpu is not up to playing this game. It chugs at a playable but rather gross frame rate and the performance does not improve when I lower the graphics options. Faces aside, it does look pretty great though. It looks like fuzzy ass on "low", but the rest is good.

Origin is actually doing what Blizzard and the consoles do and let you start playing before it's even finished downloading, which is why I was able to try this a few days ago. I finally got the whole thing and will try again, but I'm not optimistic.
    Last edited by Wool; March 20th, 2017 at 10:12 AM.

Lord Inquisitor Lenin

Game seems like a disaster.

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

Finished the download, patched Nvidia drivers, still get massive frame drops. I can't even tell what exactly is causing it, as some scenes will be perfectly fine at 40-60 fps and others will constantly dip to 20 or so. I went ahead and rode out my entire trial anyway, I did pay money for it afterall. For anyone curious, my CPU is what doesn't mean the requirements. An old i5-2500k which I never had the guts to try and OC.

I really like it so far, enough that I'm almost willing to put up with the constant frame dropping in order to play it. I will say, however, that I didn't even get as far into the game as the preview I watched awhile back, as I spent so much time screwing around and talking to people.

Here are a few observations:

This game feels like it was made to attract new fans as much as appeal to old ones. The opening was honestly a little cheesy, though the first mission itself was really good. There may be a tonal shift with this game. I know people have complained about the stilted dialogue, but most of it seems okay so far. A lot of it is heavy on the exposition because it's catching up new players.

This is true of the past several Bioware games, but the game and the UI is clearly designed with a controller in mind. I was able to adapt to it better than most other games, but boy are some of the screens annoying to navigate. A few aspects of the game would be much easier with a gamepad, but I really just don't want to aim in a shooter that way unless it's a console exclusive.

The game is being criticized for it's weird use of face tech. I've found it to be inoffensive, but I wouldn't call it good either. Minor NPCs, particularly those on sidequests, often have very little facial animation at all, often only moving their mouths. It honestly isn't that unusual for the genre, but I guess after The Witcher some people were expecting more.

Renegade/Paragon is gone. The conversation wheel has a system similar to Dragon Age 2 in which you choose an emotion/intent. Later dialogue will be impacted by dialogue choices you've made, as well as by things you have actually done. I thoroughly explored the opening planet, and when intel was being discussed my character was able to chip in because of this. Not sure how long these memories go.

The environments are pretty big. Even the tutorial mission, which you would expect to be 100% linear, had a ton of side paths to explore. Combat seems kind of chaotic compared to previous games as a result of the larger environments. It isn't enough to find a good spot and hunker in, you have to move around constantly, so you risk being flanked a lot easier than before. A lot of the time the enemy isn't even visible from cover, so I would have to stand (or fly) out in the open and take fire to kill them. I'm glad I started it on normal difficulty because of this. I'm also using the sniper rifle a lot more than I used to as well as a result.

Didn't have time to play with the crafting system. I honestly don't like the loot game aspect of it, where you can get higher level versions of the same weapon with higher stats. I do like the mod system though. These can give a great deal of customization to your chosen playstyle. The new Jump Jets and dodge move are also pretty great.

Load times aren't great, though I only have 8 gigs of RAM, and the fps dips bother me more.

The story seems interesting. There are actually multiple mysteries going on. I also no longer am sure about my original prediction a few posts up.

Quote Originally Posted by Eamin View Post
    Game seems like a disaster.
    What about it seems like a disaster? The reaction to it has been frankly ridiculous and disproportionate to the problems it actually faces. This isn't a non-functioning game, I'm not even convinced it's a bad or mediocre game. It's just got rough edges and a little jank.
    Last edited by Wool; March 20th, 2017 at 10:12 PM.

So far things are going great for me did a few missions, Just got the ship before time to sleep. Game looks pretty great on all ultra settings. Though I am running a Haswell-E 5930k and a 1080Ti.

And trust me even the 1080Ti you hear its fan running during this game.
    — Jerry Seinfeld

Lost Bard
    Even More Lost Bard

What about it seems like a disaster? The reaction to it has been frankly ridiculous and disproportionate to the problems it actually faces. This isn't a non-functioning game, I'm not even convinced it's a bad or mediocre game. It's just got rough edges and a little jank.
    This, so much.

Lord Inquisitor Lenin

It's currently sitting at a mid-70s Metacritic, and the reaction to the story and characters from Eurogamer (which is my go-to review site now that Edge is basically defunct) has been very negative