Thread: Any experience with TP-Link routers?

Elder Arcanist

Any experience with TP-Link routers?

My trusty D-Link DIR-655 is getting a little long in the tooth and experiencing some (albeit minor,) issues.
    I had been hoping the D-Link AC3200 would go on sale for Black Friday/Cyper Monday, but it didn't happen.

However the TP-Link AC3150 is on sale. Has anyone used TP-Link routers? Would you recommend them or warn against them?

Re: Any experience with TP-Link routers?

I use one as a wi-fi range extender and have had no problems with it.

(I also had a long-in-the-tooth DIR-655 that actually completely failed back in Summer!)
    Herb
    Blog

Mr. Angsty Spice

I've been running the TP-link AC1900 for about 6 months now - runs great.
    I've got beer to drink and You guys are wasting my time.

Systems Administrator
    Blog Entries

I would not buy one if you're a gamer or push your router in any way (like lots of torrents, vpn, lots of NAT/PAT, etc.). I also am sort of against them in principal, but very few devices meet my level of standards. Basically in my opinion if you build a device that connects to the Internet you have to agree to keep it updated for security for a minimum of 7 years. If you're not doing security updates for that long, and you don't support open source replacement software, then fuck off. The insanely huge DDoS attacks we're seeing now are a result of hardware that wasn't even given support updates before it was manufactured. They shipped hardware that had massive vulnerabilities in it, and have no plan to repair the problems.

Where do I feel fine using tplink? Behind a real router used as bridges or wireless extenders.
    "Complaining is the modern metagame" - BNet forums

Quote Originally Posted by Niellya View Post
    My trusty D-Link DIR-655 is getting a little long in the tooth and experiencing some (albeit minor,) issues.
    I had been hoping the D-Link AC3200 would go on sale for Black Friday/Cyper Monday, but it didn't happen.

However the TP-Link AC3150 is on sale. Has anyone used TP-Link routers? Would you recommend them or warn against them?

I find TP-Links as the least expensive option to get DD-WRT, and they are nice sound devices made with knobs and switches as opposed to software driven plunger buttons. A+++ in my opinion on the realm of consumer/residential. I will continue to buy these over Linksys & Netgear, two products I used to endorse whose quality has dropped significantly in the last 10 years.

Elder Arcanist

I wound up finding the D-Link on sale for $170 later on.
    The 655 lasted a long time, so I wanted to stick with them.