Thread: To upgrade or not, that is the question - Windows 10

Tasty Danish

To upgrade or not, that is the question - Windows 10

Hrm.
    I have upgraded my own PC to Windows 10, and need to upgrade my sons PC as well.

But my wife's PC - that's a different beast.
    She runs the full Adobe suite - the non-CC one which requires no subscription - and I REALLY don't want to risk her machine going "Oh, whoops! This version of the program will not work with Windows 10, tee hee!".

She uses her machine EXCLUSIVELY for Photoshop/Illustrator/InDesign work, so if they go bye-bye and insist on going to a subscription model, it's useless.

On the other hand, Windows 7 will become less secure over time, since they will stop shipping security updates.

Decisions, decisions...

Any and all opinions appreciated.
    "Silver bullet solutions are rare, silver bullet sales commonplace"

Bedtime Hand Biter

Re: To upgrade or not, that is the question - Windows 10

Just, simply, do not choose poorly. I too struggle with these monumental decisions.

Tasty Danish

Quote Originally Posted by Daxil Solshok View Post
    Just, simply, do not choose poorly.
    Problem is, the Win 7 decision can turn out to be really poorly over a very prolonged period of time.
    I may let this machine continue with Win 7, and then switch her to Win 10 once we decide that the current one is too slow.
    It's already pretty old - from 2008 or so, and I can't upgrade it further with regards to RAM and GPU.

Elder Arcanist

We're going 10 at work now, we've tested all our apps and software and everything works fine, just a few minor things that work differently than in 7. I have it on both my computers at home and am totally comfortable with it and actually like it. I would say do it while it's free.
    'This world may be another planet's hell.'{Aldous Huxley}
    'After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.'{Aldous Huxley}

Tasty Danish

Quote Originally Posted by Bonlainy View Post
    We're going 10 at work now, we've tested all our apps and software and everything works fine, just a few minor things that work differently than in 7. I have it on both my computers at home and am totally comfortable with it and actually like it. I would say do it while it's free.
    I like Win10 as well, and I have no qualms about installing it on any other machines. But this exact machine, those exact programs... *shiver*

Elder Arcanist

Quote Originally Posted by Dawlin View Post
    I like Win10 as well, and I have no qualms about installing it on any other machines. But this exact machine, those exact programs... *shiver*
    If it's just for that, keep 7. No point in risking the upgrade. You'd have to buy a copy when you upgrade the machine anyways!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Tasty Danish

Quote Originally Posted by Ialnyien View Post
    If it's just for that, keep 7. No point in risking the upgrade. You'd have to buy a copy when you upgrade the machine anyways!
    Exactly.

Elder Arcanist

But my wife's PC - that's a different beast.
    She runs the full Adobe suite - the non-CC one which requires no subscription - and I REALLY don't want to risk her machine going "Oh, whoops! This version of the program will not work with Windows 10, tee hee!".

She uses her machine EXCLUSIVELY for Photoshop/Illustrator/InDesign work, so if they go bye-bye and insist on going to a subscription model, it's useless.

On the other hand, Windows 7 will become less secure over time, since they will stop shipping security updates.

Decisions, decisions...

Any and all opinions appreciated.
    Image the system. If Win10 doesn't work, just go back to what you had.

Poof make squid!
    Blog Entries

Can you create a Windows 7 Virtual PC in Windows 10 the way you can use XP Mode in Windows 7?
    For copyright purposes, all of my posts are covered under the "Do What The Fuck You Want To Public License"
    http://sam.zoy.org/wtfpl/
    Noone should sue or be sued ambiguously.

I wish I didn't upgrade here. the os is great and like it better than 8. however they did so mething to fuck up controllers with x input issues. On 2 pc's I tried playing dark souls and dark souls 3 with a xb1 controller. No freaking luck. After a little research I found that a lot of people on some old games such as halo have this issue and months later Microsoft still hasn't fixed it. I wanted to play dark souls 3 so bad I even contacted a Microsoft engineer on the community forums. he couldn't figure anything out.
    yeah i got a youtube channel! check it out. it's mostly lets plays and don't go in expecting it to be super professional. Enjoy! =p

My youtube!

well with the deadline for free upgrade looming, I got my mom's computer upgraded and am working on a dual boot for my laptop since I learned the hard way that Windows 10 does not play well with all of my devices or applications, and some of the new development tools I need to get Windows 10 to use them, but really don't want to loose my Windows Ultimate (which is a full version). I had also just remembered I have my old gaming system which is still not totally outdated and not sure if I want to mess with that, and then to convince my hubby to either dual boot or upgrade as well on his. He probably won't. He doesn't adapt to change well. He only upgraded from Windows 2000 to Windows 7 kicking and screaming because he got a virus and could not find his original pirated 2000 disks to reinstall. He still bitches about 7. Hmm... so maybe I won't urge him to upgrade. =)
    CeeNedra

---------------
    Men.. it's not their fault. You can't give someone two heads and expect them to think straight!