Thread: Malwarebytes update

Humble & proud of it!
    pseudo-intellectual elitist

Malwarebytes update

So I decided to run Malwarebytes, a program my firewall support told me is compatible and might help with something their software didn't. (It didn't but ...)

I run it as admin and it prompts me to update. The installer tells me to turn off all programs and firewall/anti-virus. Only things I left running were Task Manager and my firewall's virtual threat manager (uses a virtual computer in the cloud.)

Task manager says Setup/Uninstall (32 bit) (2) not responding

The install is 85% done and hung. I turned off the threat emulation at that point but no joy. This is similar to what I had happen last time the firewall/virus tried to update for Win 10.

After that other programs started getting corrupted and I'm still cleaning up that mess. (Netflix, and Kindle apps are still fried.)

I still have the install left hung. What do I do next?
    /Users/davidyoung/WindowsDisk1/Documents and Settings/GreenSnoop/My Documents/Aennyil.png

Buckeye Wizard

Re: Malwarebytes update

It's not clear to me if you're installing the anti virus program or installing an update to the program, but either way I think you're only choice now is to reboot your computer and focus on the other issues first.
    Nerkahia
    Retired 85 Wizard of Ascentia, The Nameless

"Maybe if the Republicanoids weren't snorting coke off oil execs dicks, we could have had less dependancy on oil by now!!" - Silverblade-T-E

Humble & proud of it!

Reboot would have been my first impulse but when I was updating my firewall/anti-virus I had the same thing and ended in corrupted files.

Is there a program (commercial or free is fine) that actually can identify and fix the Netflix/Kindle fails?

What I wound up doing was get the clean uninstall from M-bytes and then downloaded the current version fresh.

I suspect that Win 10 turned back on Kapersky in my network stack. That's what caused me major headaches when I first got this machine and installed Z-Alarm. I was told Z-Alarm is granny ware but my experience is I'm getting what I pay for and then some. Ever time I get a pop up window that GWX is a malicious program and was prevented from running I just smile. (I have a very easy program control in the firewall that I've learned how to customize.)

Humble & proud of it!

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5379115362

Thought I would share a result from my internet set up. I know cable is challenged but this is just the sickest I have ever seen. It's partly wi-fi not set up right. Something I've been trying to get fixed three years now. Sadly, the internet is provided by the folks managing my tenancy. Comcast wants to help but cannot because I do not have the necessary account information.

Still, it's not just here in this building. I got a similar result a block away at my local 'pub.' 3 megs down and 9+ up. Some of that may be my stack but ...

At the same time, hardwired machines get blitz speed on the same account. One thing I know, there are 11 wi-fi signals on channel one in my available connections out of ~30. The common channel was 7 or to a lesser extent 9. What the chuck?

Buckeye Wizard

Ouch.

I thought my Time Warner Cable was pretty mediocre.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5379165037
    Nerkahia
    Retired 85 Wizard of Ascentia, The Nameless

"Maybe if the Republicanoids weren't snorting coke off oil execs dicks, we could have had less dependancy on oil by now!!" - Silverblade-T-E

Humble & proud of it!

Quote Originally Posted by Nerkahia View Post
    Ouch.

I thought my Time Warner Cable was pretty mediocre.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5379165037
    Yeah seriously. The industry standard for getting what you pay for is ... well I don't know how to categorize it well. Except to say it sux muddy pond scum.

Why not use a combo package that has firewall, antivirus/malware app? I use Webroot. No complaints. Never gives me any issues, has a very small footprint, so you do not notice any lag while running any apps or web searching and its not expensive. Despite my husband always popping in flash drives with downloaded content from his unprotected PC onto my laptop.... haven't had a virus or any malware issues since I started using it.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817....asp?tab=Specs
    CeeNedra

---------------
    Men.. it's not their fault. You can't give someone two heads and expect them to think straight!

Humble & proud of it!

Quote Originally Posted by Cee View Post
    Why not use a combo package that has firewall, antivirus/malware app? I use Webroot. No complaints. Never gives me any issues, has a very small footprint, so you do not notice any lag while running any apps or web searching and its not expensive. Despite my husband always popping in flash drives with downloaded content from his unprotected PC onto my laptop.... haven't had a virus or any malware issues since I started using it.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817....asp?tab=Specs
    When Z-alarm comes up for renewal I'll take a look at that. Thing is it does have malware protection but it doesn't remove opvapp.exe (sp?) CLeaner and MWB were recommended by a Z-alarm techie as possible remedies. Z-alarm uses up huge disc space on start up or a long sleep but after that it's pretty seamless. And it comes with a number of things I depend on ... a lot.

I continue to use MWB and CC because they do a little extra that Z doesn't.
    Thanks Cee