Thread: What's going on here?

Forum Sorcerer

What's going on here?

Suddenly my computer will randomly stop displaying a signal. The computer remains running. It is a GeForce 960, it is a couple years old at this point. It is a new issue, I was playing Far Cry 3 for a few hours, with no problems. No signs of overheating as far as I could tell. But then when I went to watch a movie(Nightmare Before Christmas, not that has anything to do with it.) it stopped displaying a signal. It has been doing it randomly ever since. If I try to boot up a game, it generally will stop displaying a signal. I have taken the card out, and put it back in, it still does it. I just recently switched in a new motherboard, but it was running just fine, until that one day. Any ideas?

Buckeye Wizard

Re: What's going on here?

Sounds like the video card is dying on you to me. -But it could be intermittent monitor failure. Those would be the two easiest things I recommend swapping out first to narrow it down.
    Nerkahia
    Retired 85 Wizard of Ascentia, The Nameless

"Maybe if the Republicanoids weren't snorting coke off oil execs dicks, we could have had less dependancy on oil by now!!" - Silverblade-T-E

Elder Arcanist

Check cable connections, then try a new cable, that's the cheapest and easiest start. Could be worse, but I've had several here at work where a similar thing happened, and either the connection was loose, or in a couple of instances the actual cable was bad.
    'This world may be another planet's hell.'{Aldous Huxley}
    'After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.'{Aldous Huxley}

I agree with the cable swap, Cheap and easy. And then if you have a spare screen in the house try that next.

Also do all of this with all display related power save features disabled in windows.
    "When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    — Jerry Seinfeld

Check your RAM as well.. sometimes a bad stick of RAM can do werd shit to your pc.
    CeeNedra

---------------
    Men.. it's not their fault. You can't give someone two heads and expect them to think straight!

Elder Arcanist

After you took the card out . . . did you blow on it before you put it back in?
    That's a scientifically proven method.