Thread: why aren't there any 5K curved monitors

hella Star-Demon :3

why aren't there any 5K curved monitors

Does anyone know why curved monitors are all sold at lower resolutions than there flat monitor counterparts? I don't see why there should be any difference between the two.

Systems Administrator
    Blog Entries

Re: why aren't there any 5K curved monitors

Because curved monitors are fucking terrible. You'll almost never be at the exact optimal distance, so the image will always be distorted. Enjoy paying extra for eye strain.
    "Complaining is the modern metagame" - BNet forums

Quote Originally Posted by Nadiar View Post
    Because curved monitors are fucking terrible. You'll almost never be at the exact optimal distance, so the image will always be distorted. Enjoy paying extra for eye strain.
    They are much better actually, unlike flat monitors they better match how human vision works. You don't ever have to physically move your head to see the entire screen well even for the 34" ones.

is 5k to 4K what 1920x1200 is/was to 1920x1080? I have only seen even number Ks For example most Gsync screens are 2K
    "When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    — Jerry Seinfeld

Delmarva 85 Troll Enhancement Shaman Alternate Eclipse

Never Forget those who gave it all ten years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by FilanFyretracker View Post
    is 5k to 4K what 1920x1200 is/was to 1920x1080? I have only seen even number Ks For example most Gsync screens are 2K
    No. The highest curved monitors go to is 3440 x 1440, which is not even 4K.

5K is 5120x2880.

5K has approximately 2.9767441860465116 times the number of pixels as 3440 x 1440.

1920 x 1200 has approximately 1.1111111111111112 times the number of pixels as 1920 x 1080.

So the difference is significant in the 5K v. 3440 x 1440 monitors where as the 1920x1200 just lets you have your windows toolbar on the bottom with a 1920x1080 usable screen area.

A curved monitor is more ergonomic because it is not designed for LEGO figures, but for some reason even in the latest CES 2016 (in January) there was not any 5K curved monitors.

Systems Administrator
    Blog Entries

UHD is 3840px x *2160px. 1080p is 1920px x 1080px

Systems Administrator
    Blog Entries

1440p is 2560px x 1440px.

I decided to be less lazy and look for some technical reasons motivating this not being available anywhere at higher resolutions (talking about curved monitors specifically).

Out of the usual suspects there are no standout patents that make this not available on curved monitors. Intuitively licensing is not an issue as multiple manufacturers are already selling these monitors and as far as I can tell there is not any critical patent that is at issue. I did not think this was the reason but it was worth checking out.

Doing cursory readings of recent research papers none that I found mentioned difficulties in manufacturing curved monitors at higher resolutions.

There was no mention of shortages of displays like there was with SSDs after the tsunami that wiped out critical manufacturers of SSDs a while back.

I am at a loss of some reason no one has any available at some price point nor could I find some designed in a lab.

Presently I am stumped and at a dead end on potential reasons.

Some reasons I prefer curved over flat in practice despite some minor disadvantages of them picture wise are:

1) not having a frame that splits the monitors with a traditional dual monitor setup

2) easier to see more of the content with > 27" sized monitors

3) marginally less tiring on the eyes

Higher resolution monitors probably are not a good choice for gaming purposes though due to requiring more resources to run the video games at maximum resolution, but that applies to both curved and flat monitors so is moot for my purposes. I don't ever do any gaming on the latest and greatest games though so that's not a concern to me.

There is only a marginal difference between the two in practice so still mostly going to be subjective and what you want to use the computer for. I don't think they work as well if you want to set them up vertically though. If you want to put two or more horizontally though I think you works much better.
    Last edited by MI Redeux; April 13th, 2016 at 09:15 PM.