Thread: Find those really weird LaTeX symbols you almost never use

Poof make squid!
    Blog Entries

Find those really weird LaTeX symbols you almost never use

For copyright purposes, all of my posts are covered under the "Do What The Fuck You Want To Public License"
    http://sam.zoy.org/wtfpl/
    Noone should sue or be sued ambiguously.

hella Star-Demon :3

Re: Find those really weird LaTeX symbols you almost never use

AsciiDoc is a really great alternative to writing straight TeX. I fucking love it even though I really love TeX also. You can embed TeX in it also for math when necessary.
    Last edited by MI Redeux; January 5th, 2016 at 02:23 PM.

Passes Turing Test

That is awesome.
    "Computer science is a continuation of logic by other means" -- Georg Gottlob

www.Neutrality.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Voca View Post
    That is awesome.
    Just when I think I cannot like you any more than I already do, you go and demonstrate that you were an even better philosopher king approximation than I previously imagined. That human cloning is not mature enough to ensure your brain's existence forever is a great loss to humanity. It's a tight race between you and PPatty for board GOAT imo.

Last edited by MI Redeux; January 12th, 2016 at 06:06 PM.

Passes Turing Test

Well, thank you, though I am unclear on what I did to deserve such praise!

Quote Originally Posted by Voca View Post
    Well, thank you, though I am unclear on what I did to deserve such praise!
    Realizing TeX is the best for producing beautiful documents, unlike the unclean, hateful masses who communicate using word documents and spread their incurable affliction upon the reader. Pandoc is also tremendously fantastic and an amazingly great tool and beautifully designed. One of the rare instances where software realizes its potential excellence and is reliable. The reason I like Ppatty though is because its what I imagine communicating with an AI without an emotion chip would be like which makes its predilection with wrestling and mma and catholicism even funnier. I wonder what a general AI will prefer for information. Will it like wrestling and fabricate its own matches?
    Last edited by MI Redeux; January 16th, 2016 at 02:45 AM.

God, pandoc is so goddamn fucking sexy. This is an example of GREAT software and a reference example of how to design software interfaces correctly that generalizes to all possible interface design contexts. Pandoc is truly great in every way. Amazing design.

It is hard to believe it is mainly written by one person. In every case where I have used something written primarily in Haskell the design has been fantastically flexible and absent bizarre edge cases where it inexplicably does something idiotic or fails horribly.

It's not something I have seen in similar programming models either (possibly mature F# code has this property also thanks to MS's bad ass tooling support idk, ocaml has been filIed with great ideas but not routinely resulted in something beautiful) I wish I knew why so it could exist as a development process that is effective rather than ambiguously defined and excessively influenced by cargo cult behaviors or buzz words.

I would love to read some book or article that attempts to identify what variables are at play that result in mature projects to still have that property despite Haskell's tooling not being anywhere close to what is available elsewhere (it is not horrible but not insanely great either).

It calls into question my belief that multiparadigm languages should be unquestionably the status quo (Scala is an example that I like). But, for whatever reason great projects in Haskell implement towers of abstractions that are not leaky in practice and end up stabbing the user/programmer in the back IME. Very cool and inspiring.