Thread: whirlpool drier repair - cleaning frozen fuzz out of aluminium vent pipe

Poof make squid!
    Blog Entries

whirlpool drier repair - cleaning frozen fuzz out of aluminium vent pipe

So we have an old beige goldenrod colored front-load whirlpool.

The way it comes apart in order to pull the spinning portion out is taking the two screws out of the right side lint screen on the top right, to the right of all dials. it goes down through the body of the drier itself to the vent), then popping the clips on the various lids. (top first, to lift it all up so you can see the (drum? tumbler?) then you pull the front lid off. Don't remember if I did that before or after the bottom portion that was about 3 inches high and the width of the door/lid at the very bottom by the feet.

The vent is right side down below the 2-foot-long lint screen at the very bottom. NO unusual kinks in the aluminium pipe outgoing, but it's been taped down VERY securely and is fitting into a small space.

I can grab a model number tomorrow night, I'm working from memory here.

The vent is about 15 feet from the exit vent (exterior) to first bend (interior).

First bend from the 15 foot ingress of pipe runs a 5 foot bend down towards the ground and a standard curved coupler into the drier itself (see link at bottom for kind)

This is taped all to hell and I don't want to remove it because I don't have time or inclination for more pipe tape (tis the season), and being that I don't have any in stock I'm loathe to move ANYTHING.

Due to the cramped nature of where the water heater and the fact that we had to pull the washer and drier out to work on the drier two times ago and the drier out to work on the washer, it's a LOT of disconnecting that I didn't connect.

Is there a way to push the drier fuzz UP the chain TOWARDS the external exhaust from inside the drier with something like a coathanger without taking out the freshly re-applied tub?

Would doing it from the outside help the drier blow the rest of the fuzz out?

I have some chained together coat hangers...

The last time we did this was when my father-in-law taped it on so tightly right after his stroke and he went a bit overboard. I can smell more drier smell in the house now (years later) to the point that it's coming up the heater vents (central air is located in the same room as the washer/drier assembly) and it's been taking longer and longer for things to dry.

Might have been why the glued belt around the drier tub dried out and pulled loose a few months back.

I've even considered using one of the never-used toilet augurs we got on the aluminum tubes from the outside, but there MUST be an easier way.

Electric drier, not gas.

Edit - corner part going into the bottom of the driver below the lint filter is this, rest of the pipe is same gauge and quality, no TRULY flexible stuff.

http://www.deflecto.com/products/pc/...tion/DE904.jpg
    Last edited by Merrick ap'Milandra; December 15th, 2015 at 10:19 PM. Reason: part
    For copyright purposes, all of my posts are covered under the "Do What The Fuck You Want To Public License"
    http://sam.zoy.org/wtfpl/
    Noone should sue or be sued ambiguously.

Re: whirlpool drier repair - cleaning frozen fuzz out of aluminium vent pipe

the fuzz is in the piping right? what about using a leaf blower(if electric) some duct tape and seeing if you can brute force it. The blower might just have the force needed to blast any stuck fuzz out the vent.
    "When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    — Jerry Seinfeld

Delmarva 85 Troll Enhancement Shaman Alternate Eclipse

Never Forget those who gave it all ten years ago.

Poof make squid!
    Blog Entries

Whirplool Imperial
    LFE7800G1

Also, apparently I've been spelling "dryer" wrong, according to them.
    For copyright purposes, all of my posts are covered under the "Do What The Fuck You Want To Public License"

Poof make squid!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FilanFyretracker View Post
    the fuzz is in the piping right? what about using a leaf blower(if electric) some duct tape and seeing if you can brute force it. The blower might just have the force needed to blast any stuck fuzz out the vent.
    I *think* the fuzz is in the piping. the smell of fresh warm laundry isn't getting outside, but it is coming up through the house.

It makes the most logical sense.

I assumed frozen lint dust because it's hovering between freezing and not freezing right now, but it might also just be wet and getting stuck due to temperature change on it's way out.

Sadly, I also don't know anyone who has a leafblower high-powered enough to do that.

I mean, even with full vacuum exit pressure, having everything blocked except the exit, most leafblowers I've touched have less horsepower in their motors than I've seen from 1960's blenders at margarita parties years back.

No offense, but almost 20 feet of (four inch?) diameter around two 90 degree joints isn't going to do much in a way I can see.

I LOOOOVE being educated though, and cheap home tricks are some of my favorites, so if you've done something similar, I'd love to hear how. (That's really not intended to be condescending, the shopvac just doesn't make sense to me)

I SUCK AT HOME OWNERSHIP.

(I'm asking for tips and intimating that it would be EXTREMELY difficult to take apart the pipes. To the point that we'd be without a drier until somewhere near the new year if I did it now and I'm kinda keen on not having anything take extra wear and tear because this thing is old and we want to move in a few years and have it working for the new owners with a clean bill of inspection health.

We haven't taken good care of it since our first kid was born.

About 80% of the interior has been replaced with fresh parts. I want to avoid replacing more or damaging freshly replaced parts.
    Last edited by Merrick ap'Milandra; December 15th, 2015 at 10:46 PM.

Elder Arcanist
    Junior Alt-a-holic
    Blog Entries

I had the same problem - the humidity and dryer smell in the house.
    Ended up being a clogged outside vent.
    Thankfully, my dryer duct is only 6 feet straight up from the dryer to the basement window where it vents outside.

My mom's house has a ~15-18 foot exhaust pipe.
    Every couple of years, I pull the dryers out and she takes apart each section.
    The non-collapsible tubes she cleans with a toilet brush duct-taped to a broom handle. (She's really short, and cannot reach)
    The actual exhaust vent is concreted into a partial casement window, so the last 3 feet or howevermuch is scrubbed with the brush then simply vacuumed.
    However, most of the sections are straight, and the ones that aren't are collapsible.

There are dryer vent brushes (here's a drill-powered one) that could be helpful.

It's also possible your duct run might be too long for your model, which doesn't help you right now, but something to consider.

Do not blow it. Shop vac.

Poof make squid!
    Blog Entries

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE DIRECTIONAL ADVICE.

I got it cleared out.

One of the greatest things about this forum is how many experts we have on various subjects.

You all saved me what might be a lot of money, If any of you ever need computer help, let me know. (edit -- less hardware, more software, but I mostly handle on windows environments. Lots of enterprise virtualization, though, so if you have a shit citrix environment, I'd be happy to help, I've moved a few around into stability.)
    Last edited by Merrick ap'Milandra; December 26th, 2015 at 06:01 PM.

Poof make squid!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mileron View Post
    There are dryer vent brushes (here's a drill-powered one) that could be helpful.
    I might ask for one of those in future and just stock up on metal tape.

Can you buy extensions for this?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-...PBHD/203636793

Elder Arcanist
    Junior Alt-a-holic
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Merrick ap'Milandra View Post
    I got it cleared out.
    What did you do?

Poof make squid!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mileron View Post
    What did you do?
    Turned the drier on high, loosened it up with 3 straightened metal coat hangers wired together with pliers, then got a wad of lint on the bushes out front a few minutes later.

In any other winter this wouldn't have worked, but it's been so warm around here that if wanted to build snowmen in Minnesota, we'd be using mud.

I think I was saved because it reached 40F the other day, so there was no vapor lock in the tube, it just rolled out slowly.
    Last edited by Merrick ap'Milandra; December 26th, 2015 at 06:16 PM.

Poof make squid!
    Blog Entries

It was slightly smaller than the size of the pipe when it came out, but it was just a tiny colored foozeball when I compressed it and threw it out.

Poof make squid!
    Blog Entries

I should add that I cleared out space for the shop vac during the christmas trip to my in-law's place, but I didn't need it.

That drill, however, interests me.