Thread: Question about a virus

Elder Arcanist

Question about a virus

Last week I had a pop up window in my browser that said my computer was infected. I did not click on anything but instead shut the machine down and restarted. I immediately ran a full virus scan using ESET antivirus which did not find any viruses.

Today I got an email from my internet provider that said one of the computers behind my cable modem had tried to contact a known malware server. The virus name that they told me was FakeSecSen which looks to be one of those fake virus scan popups people get. I have scanned my computer as thoroughly as I know how and it still says there is no infection.

How can I tell for sure if I'm infected or not. Is it possible that my ISP got a false positive somehow?

hella Star-Demon :3

Re: Question about a virus

Quote Originally Posted by Khieran View Post
    Last week I had a pop up window in my browser that said my computer was infected. I did not click on anything but instead shut the machine down and restarted. I immediately ran a full virus scan using ESET antivirus which did not find any viruses.

Today I got an email from my internet provider that said one of the computers behind my cable modem had tried to contact a known malware server. The virus name that they told me was FakeSecSen which looks to be one of those fake virus scan popups people get. I have scanned my computer as thoroughly as I know how and it still says there is no infection.

How can I tell for sure if I'm infected or not. Is it possible that my ISP got a false positive somehow?
    Call your ISP. Might be a phishing attempt.

Mr. Angsty Spice

Could try an additional scanning program - I have had good luck in the past with Malwarebytes.
    https://www.malwarebytes.org/
    I've got beer to drink and You guys are wasting my time.

99% Bacon Free
    Blog Entries

That program also helped me get rid of some really nasty malware.

Elder Arcanist

The email looks legit and all the links in it appear OK, but I didn't click on any of them just in case. I am running malwarebytes on all my computers now.

Elder Arcanist

Well, I may have found the culprit. My son's computer had 75 threats... cleaning now

Well, I may have found the culprit. My son's computer had 75 threats... cleaning now
    Should run his computer in a VM. It's super easy and will be transparent to him if you fullscreen it. Basically retard proofs computing. If my grandmother can do it your kid can.

Elder Arcanist

For the record, rescue disks are the most reliable way to catch the really invasive stuff. My current favorite is the ESET rescue disk.

Also put him on a separate virtual lan and rate limit is internet speed and ports.

Elder Arcanist

Maybe he could have it remotely hosted as well, MI Goldberg

Elder Arcanist

Funny thing is, when I got the email, I immediately texted him (I was at work) and asked if anything strange had popped up. He said no. When I started to look at his computer when I got home, Chrome was uninstalled. I asked him why. He said he got a message about Chrome having a virus in it so he uninstalled it. I asked him when this message came up. It was about 15 minutes before I texted him, asking if he'd gotten any such messages...

I'm too old to have a teenage son

Funny thing is, when I got the email, I immediately texted him (I was at work) and asked if anything strange had popped up. He said no. When I started to look at his computer when I got home, Chrome was uninstalled. I asked him why. He said he got a message about Chrome having a virus in it so he uninstalled it. I asked him when this message came up. It was about 15 minutes before I texted him, asking if he'd gotten any such messages...

I'm too old to have a teenage son
    I recommend contacting Dexter and lettting him know the situation.