Thread: Will Half a Gig of Ram (in a phone) Make a difference?

Will Half a Gig of Ram (in a phone) Make a difference?

I am interested in upgrading my phone for battery life.
    Currently, my phone is 2000mAh, and 1.5GB RAM

2 phones I am interested in are
    Blu Studio Energy - 5000mAh 1GB Ram
    LG G Stylo - 3000mAh and 1GB Ram

All I use my phone for, besides calls and text, is listening to podcasts via Podcast Addict.

Is there a way that I can see how much RAM my phone uses during daily activities? Can I load an app in the background that will track RAM usage throughout the day, which programs are using the most, and what the statistic of it being used is?
    Should half a GIG of Ram make a difference?

I am most interested in battery power, and there are other options out there, but 5000mAh is very desirable.

Is there a phone out htere with MORE than 3000mAh of battery (preferably, at LEAST 3600mAh) and has 1.5GB Ram on board? All I really want to do is upgrade my battery life, permanently, and that is all.

(No, I do not want to use portable, external batteries, etc. They are not an option for me).

Thanks for the advice.

Mr. Angsty Spice

Re: Will Half a Gig of Ram (in a phone) Make a difference?

Is there a way that I can see how much RAM my phone uses during daily activities? Can I load an app in the background that will track RAM usage throughout the day, which programs are using the most, and what the statistic of it being used is?
    I don't have a droid device handy anymore - but I seem to recall under settings page there should be a list of how much RAM is in use by your running apps at any given time. (won't give a graph throughout the day, but somebody probably made an app for that.).

From what you describe your usage though, I wouldn't expect that Half-gig to be an issue for you.
    I've got beer to drink and You guys are wasting my time.

99% Bacon Free
    Blog Entries

Have you tried the CleanMaster app to monitor your phone's performance and clean junk files?

hella Star-Demon :3

Tell your phone to use ZRAM feature (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zram). It compresses app memory that is not currently in usage. Also, get the Sony Xperia Z3 instead. It is the only mobile phone built for the real world. It has a great screen, a lot of battery, good memory etc. http://www.sonymobile.com/us/products/phones/xperia-z3/

The other manufacturers have gone all the way up their own ass and think they are designing for the fifth world.

Systems Administrator
    Blog Entries

Should be a new Xperia coming out pretty soon, if you're not after the newest one you might be able to get that one cheaper.

I think you should get a less shit phone, and instead buy an external pack. Like this one: http://www.amazon.com/KMASHI-Thunder.../dp/B00JM59JPG

$14, and you can get a couple charges out of it on a normal phone. I generally prefer to buy something reusable rather than buy something of poor quality just to meet some requirement of mine.
    "Complaining is the modern metagame" - BNet forums

I chose the ZTE ZMaxx.

3 months newer than my previous phone (Kyocera Hydro Icon), which was altogether a fine phone, especially in my line of work, except for its terrible battery life.

Phablet with 3600mAh battery.

All week, I've come home, and even now, not a single charge throughout the day, running on default settings and actually using my phone slightly more than I did my previous one since 5am, and at 9pm I'm still running at 40%. I'm ecstatic. I'm elated.

Quote Originally Posted by MI Redeux View Post
    Tell your phone to use ZRAM feature (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zram). It compresses app memory that is not currently in usage. Also, get the Sony Xperia Z3 instead. It is the only mobile phone built for the real world. It has a great screen, a lot of battery, good memory etc. http://www.sonymobile.com/us/products/phones/xperia-z3/

The other manufacturers have gone all the way up their own ass and think they are designing for the fifth world.
    I highly considered the Xperia line. I appreciate most things Sony does, besides the VAIO, and between it, the OnePlus One & the Huawei, I was stuck in a back and forth level of indecision.

The first thing I had to do though was get off of a CDMA carrier.

For all the great things Verizon has going for it, it is ridiculous that they are CDMA only. For all the few things Sprint has going for it, it is ridiculous that they are CDMA only.

Unlocked phones and prepay services are the way to go in today's financially sensible world, and I have been a subscriber to the latter since 2008.

I chose the ZTE ZMaxx.

3 months newer than my previous phone (Kyocera Hydro Icon), which was altogether a fine phone, especially in my line of work, except for its terrible battery life.

All week, I've come home, and even now, not a single charge throughout the day, running on default settings and actually using my phone slightly more than I did my previous one since 5am, and at 9pm I'm still running at 40%. I'm ecstatic. I'm elated.

Quote Originally Posted by MI Redeux View Post

I highly considered the Xperia line. I appreciate most things Sony does, besides the VAIO, and between it, the OnePlus One & the Huawei, I was stuck in a back and forth level of indecision.

For all the great things Verizon has going for it, it is ridiculous that they are CDMA only. For all the few things Sprint has going for it, it is ridiculous that they are CDMA only.

Unlocked phones and prepay services are the way to go in today's financially sensible world, and I have been a subscriber to the latter since 2008.

$250 mid level phone.
    -150 instant rebates
    - 50 boost port incentive
    ____
    $50 phone.

Should last me about a year.

hella Star-Demon :3

Quote Originally Posted by Tinthalas Tigris View Post
    I chose the ZTE ZMaxx.

$250 mid level phone.
    -150 instant rebates
    - 50 boost port incentive
    ____
    $50 phone.

Should last me about a year.
    I really loathe Sony for historical reasons, but I really like the use case they are targetting with their Xperia line. Where other manufacturers are rushing to ride Apple's dick they at least retain an market option that provides an alternative to a preen obsession that has become commonplace and utterly limiting with only the weakest justifications being submitted for their cause in doing so. The solutions are often built into the Linux Kernel already even before Android came around.