Thread: Problem with Gmail Contacts?

Elder Arcanist

Problem with Gmail Contacts?

I've been using Gmail for 4-5 years and keeping my contacts in Google Contacts. It's worked fine all that time.

Now, in the last month or so, when I add a new contact, then go to type their name into a new email, it doesn't pop up their email address, even though they are in my contacts list. Also, if I change someone's email address in my contacts, then try to email them from Gmail, it pops up their old email address instead of the new one.

Are Gmail's contacts not synchronized with Google Contacts or something? Has something changed recently that is causing this?

*Edit* to clarify... this is not on my phone. It's in the browser. In the upper left hand corner of the Gmail homepage, you can drop down a list and select "Contacts". It opens your contact list in a separate tab. Any changes I make there are saved and I can view them there, but Gmail itself is not aware of them for some reason.

*Edit again* Well, as usual, just after I post here, I stumble across the solution. Apparently it was a cookie issue. Clearing my cache and tossing my cookies has solved it, at least for now.
    Last edited by Khieran; July 13th, 2015 at 10:22 AM.

Re: Problem with Gmail Contacts?

Quote Originally Posted by Khieran View Post
    I've been using Gmail for 4-5 years and keeping my contacts in Google Contacts. It's worked fine all that time.

Now, in the last month or so, when I add a new contact, then go to type their name into a new email, it doesn't pop up their email address, even though they are in my contacts list. Also, if I change someone's email address in my contacts, then try to email them from Gmail, it pops up their old email address instead of the new one.

Are Gmail's contacts not synchronized with Google Contacts or something? Has something changed recently that is causing this?

*Edit* to clarify... this is not on my phone. It's in the browser. In the upper left hand corner of the Gmail homepage, you can drop down a list and select "Contacts". It opens your contact list in a separate tab. Any changes I make there are saved and I can view them there, but Gmail itself is not aware of them for some reason.

*Edit again* Well, as usual, just after I post here, I stumble across the solution. Apparently it was a cookie issue. Clearing my cache and tossing my cookies has solved it, at least for now.
    WHenever anything is not working for me, I tend to toss my cookies.

Humble & proud of it!
    pseudo-intellectual elitist

Re: Problem with Gmail Contacts?

Quote Originally Posted by Tinthalas Tigris View Post
    WHenever anything is not working for me, I tend to toss my cookies.
    Ginger ale is real good for that Tinth