Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windows 10 launch date announced: July 29th, 2015

Re: Windows 10 launch date announced: July 29th, 2015

you just have to hope games you want come out for Linux, using WINE to Emulate windows as one of the greatest pains the in ass I have heard.
    "When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    — Jerry Seinfeld

Tasty Danish

Quote Originally Posted by FilanFyretracker View Post
    you just have to hope games you want come out for Linux, using WINE to Emulate windows as one of the greatest pains the in ass I have heard.
    I've had several Ubuntu installs over the years - WINE started out as a very shaky product, but nowadays it's pretty easy to get a well-known game running. There's usually a slew of people before you that has done all of the heavy lifting.

That being said, it still is something that you need to configure.
    "Silver bullet solutions are rare, silver bullet sales commonplace"

Quote Originally Posted by FilanFyretracker View Post
    The only game i ever play on pc is quakeworld deathmatch, which has a native version for linux.

STEAM is a prolific service available to linux installs, and there are others like it.

I am not much of a gamer, anymore anyway. I use my consoles about 16 hours out of the year for actually playing games.

My pcs are used for product and media development and occsionally piecing together an important formal letter.

Elder Arcanist
    Junior Alt-a-holic
    Blog Entries

Last night my Windows 10 Preview system (actually my primary usage box) was updated to the release version.

Elder Arcanist
    Junior Alt-a-holic
    Blog Entries

My morning tech reading resulted in a few interesting articles about Win10.

http://betanews.com/2015/07/26/windo...your-computer/
    This one's a biggie. An update or two over the weekend caused my computer to reboot into 1024x768 resolution, and it took a further 4 reboots to get a working video driver (or at least kick something into usability where I could actually reset my display to 1680x1050).
    I've also noticed that games are a little choppy (where they weren't last week.) I'm going to follow this and see what turns out.

I think I might need to use this: http://betanews.com/2015/07/27/how-t...matic-updates/ if the auto driver update causes problems.

http://betanews.com/2015/06/10/how-t...dows-7-or-8-x/
    For some odd reason my sister's fully automatically updated Win8.1 box doesn't have the notification (and neither does my W7 laptop.) Another thing to check out.

Elder Arcanist

My worry about Win10 is the loss of WMC for using my computer's TV tuner.

I've gone through dozens of threads on the VLC forums stepping people through setting up TV tuners to work with VLC, but all I get is the "device unsupported" message...

Several people have suggested MediaPortal as an alternative to WMC, but I haven't tried it yet.

Bedtime Hand Biter

Anybody get this yet? Waiting for my notification! Just got a comp with 8 installed so happy to do away with that quickly.

Elder Arcanist
    Junior Alt-a-holic
    Blog Entries

I've been running it on my primary home computer since the Technical Preview release in March or so.

I like it. This is what the next iteration of Windows should have been, instead of the travesty that 8/8.1 were.

The auto updates are a little annoying (it keeps wonking out my video drivers, but a quick reboot so far fixes it).

Systems Administrator
    Blog Entries

Be prepared to wait that shit out
    wtfmicrosoft.png
    "Complaining is the modern metagame" - BNet forums

Tasty Danish

Eh, I've decided to wait until 10.1 or somesuch. The equivalent of service pack 2
    "Silver bullet solutions are rare, silver bullet sales commonplace"

Forum Sorcerer

Quote Originally Posted by Nadiar View Post
    Be prepared to wait that shit out
    wtfmicrosoft.png
    You can go to the Win10 website and download it - either a direct upgrade or an image for DVD/USB so that you can upgrade multiple systems with one download.

Linky here

Have updated two of my 3 systems (have to steal the laptop off the boss before I can upgrade it) and seem to have gone very well. One little feature I was not aware of - Win10 can be configured to torrent updates to itself and certain apps from other PCs on the same network - could be handy if you have lots of PCs.

And you can restrict it to update share strictly off LAN too if you are blessed with an ISP controlled by wall street greed and have caps and overages.

Elder Arcanist
    Junior Alt-a-holic
    Blog Entries

http://betanews.com/2015/08/05/micro...ot-for-others/

Quote Originally Posted by article
    If you’re upgrading from Windows 7 Ultimate, Professional, Home Premium or Windows 8.1 with Media Center, then you will get Windows DVD Player for free. You don’t have to do anything, it will be installed as an automatic Windows Update. Microsoft says you'll be able to get it "free for a limited time", but doesn’t say how quickly you need to act. If you upgrade to Windows 10 on July 29 2016, will it still be available? The offer will "end at or before the free Windows 10 upgrade offer", says Microsoft, through a veil of vagueness.
    VLC is still free.

Quote Originally Posted by Mileron View Post
    Yea and VLC is trying to get Blue Ray working too. Which means no spyware crapware player for that too.

Systems Administrator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mileron View Post
    It's because VLC doesn't pay for licensing. Look up libdvdcss and DeCSS, but the licensing costs are ridiculous.

That is why I think VLC is doing nothing wrong at all.

Macrovision has made the licensing stupid expensive and none of the marketed players work across multiple operating systems. They lost out, too bad so sad. Anything that kicks a DRM company in the balls is a good thing anyway.
    "When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    — Jerry Seinfeld

Systems Administrator
    Blog Entries

I think it comes down to a moral/legal thing.

Morally, Macrovision is doing the wrong thing by exploiting the fact that people want to watch something they already paid for, and double dipping on their vendor fees (you pay when you buy the drive, the operating system[1], and the manufacturer paid when they made the disc.

[1]Since Windows 10 is an upgrade, you already paid for the license when you bought the previous OS.

Legally they're in the clear. Everyone involved agreed to pay the cost. Of course, Microsoft was basically forced to pay the licensing fee, but they still agreed.

Morally, VLC is doing the right thing. They didn't steal any technology, they worked out a method of negating the shitty security mechanism.

Legally, they're probably doing something illegal, but it's illegal because the companies that controlled the old market had the lobby force to shove through things like the DMCA. Code should be copyrighted, not patented.

Yes the DMCA is involved because for a time LibdeCSS I think it was had to be left out of any versions of VLC hosted on a US server.
    — Jerry Seinfeld

Forum Sorcerer

.facebook_1440667616246.jpg

For those with older PCs who would rather install from disk.

Elder Arcanist

That really brings back nightmares.