Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10 launch date announced: July 29th, 2015

Tasty Danish

Windows 10 launch date announced: July 29th, 2015

You can reserve the free copy now - I'm guessing they need to estimate server load or somesuch.

Will you be upgrading ? I'll be upgrading my own and my son's PC for sure. Not too sure about my wife's PC, since it's a bit older (still runs Win7), and has a LOT of photoshop/illustrator stuff installed.
    Not sure I want to mess with that in case it's not fully compatible...
    Last edited by Dawlin; June 1st, 2015 at 07:35 AM.
    "Silver bullet solutions are rare, silver bullet sales commonplace"

Elder Arcanist
    Junior Alt-a-holic
    Blog Entries

Re: Windows 10 launch date announced: July 29th, 2015

I plan to upgrade.
    I hated 8, and 8.1 was a copout to fixing that OS's issues.

But 10 is pretty good. Not as enjoyable as say the bump from 98 to 2K, or XP to 7, but it's a decent evolution of the OS.

While I do have a few niggling complaints* (the built-in photo browser SUCKS, and Edge is a crapladen shitfest of assitude) it does what I need it to do and, on an SSD, does them quite quickly.

*Release 10074 has this bizarre issue where clicking Taskbar buttons on an open app doesn't actually bring that app to front. Have to click 4-5 times.
    Last edited by Mileron; June 1st, 2015 at 09:03 AM.

I never use the built in image functions of windows, Still a stickler for irfanview.
    "When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    — Jerry Seinfeld

Delmarva 85 Troll Enhancement Shaman Alternate Eclipse

Never Forget those who gave it all ten years ago.

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

Reserving it seems weird to me, since it's available as an upgrade for free for a full year anyway.

I'm personally happy with 7 and am ambivalent about upgrading, but all of the hype for DX12 has me interested. I'll probably wait a couple weeks and make sure it doesn't blow up in peoples faces before upgrading myself. I also want more concrete information on cpu optimization in games, since I'll probably do a clean install and need to know if I should go through with overclocking my cpu or not. Overclocking is part of what made this cpu so good, but I never got around to it. If DX12 breathes new life in the processor without overclocking, maybe I still won't bother.

Elder Arcanist

I got that icon yesterday and went ahead and reserved it. It didn't mention being able to download an iso, which is what I was looking for, but we'll see.

Elder Arcanist

I got that icon this morning...

All the Microsoft pro's and evangelists I know are either planning on waiting a bit until the first real patch or are installing it in a VPN setting when it is released.

I think I will follow their lead. I do have much higher expectations for windows 10 than I did for 8, but then again I never expected 8 to make any kind of impact ...in a good way at least.
    CeeNedra

---------------
    Men.. it's not their fault. You can't give someone two heads and expect them to think straight!

Buckeye Wizard

Been using Windows since the abomination that was Windows 95, heh. I was a hardcore XP fan; must have installed it on three dozen machines / upgrades just for personal use lol, not counting for work.

Have to say, 8.1 runs damn near flawlessly for the things I use it for at least. So yeah, I reserved 10 today.

Nerkahia
    Retired 85 Wizard of Ascentia, The Nameless

"Maybe if the Republicanoids weren't snorting coke off oil execs dicks, we could have had less dependancy on oil by now!!" - Silverblade-T-E

Formerly: Legolos
    Bringer of Boom
    W.T.F.

Reserved 10, may push back on it though. I want an install ISO or some image to use for a clean install as I plan to nuke my OS driver and reinstall. If that is not an option I'll nuke, re-install 7, patch, upgrade to 10, patch, and image the whole damn thing my self.

Elder Arcanist

I was kind of holding off for an image as well. I don't really have any desire to upgrade.

Kinky Euro

I'm uncertain if I should upgrade or just grab a dvd from work once we can get images.

Formerly: Legolos
    Bringer of Boom
    W.T.F.

I canceled my reservation.

There will be an ISO image to download for an upgrade. And it looks like a clean install will also be an option, but only after having upgraded once.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/i...1-0edc4649bf43

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...=1433307233248

Answer
    Charles [MSFT] replied on June 3, 2015See post history
    Close
    Microsoft
    Microsoft has posted a response that addresses this question.
    "Once you upgrade to Windows 10 successfully using the free upgrade offer, you will be able to clean reinstall Windows 10 on the same device during and after the free upgrade offer period without having to purchase Windows 10 or having to go back to the prior version of Windows that you upgraded from."
    Sorry for not being clearer about this process.

Tasty Danish

I downloaded a preview versions ISO, that's how I installed my version to a VM.
    Can't imagine that live versions won't have every type of ISO available (upgrade, clean etc.)
    "Silver bullet solutions are rare, silver bullet sales commonplace"

hella Star-Demon :3

Quote Originally Posted by Cee View Post
    All the Microsoft pro's and evangelists I know are either planning on waiting a bit until the first real patch or are installing it in a VPN setting when it is released.

I think I will follow their lead. I do have much higher expectations for windows 10 than I did for 8, but then again I never expected 8 to make any kind of impact ...in a good way at least.
    That is what I am doing as well. Caveat all the software that is critical for work is well supported and it is very stable I will start using it full time.

Quote Originally Posted by MI Redeux View Post
    That is what I am doing as well. Caveat all the software that is critical for work is well supported and it is very stable I will start using it full time.
    That will take awhile, Work software tends to lag very very far behind the curve... even late into the win7 Era planet of companies are stuck with XP because work software needs it. Even though Win7 Pro 64bit is light years ahead of XP.
    "When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    — Jerry Seinfeld

Delmarva 85 Troll Enhancement Shaman Alternate Eclipse

Never Forget those who gave it all ten years ago.

Elder Arcanist
    Junior Alt-a-holic
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FilanFyretracker View Post
    That will take awhile, Work software tends to lag very very far behind the curve... even late into the win7 Era planet of companies are stuck with XP because work software needs it. Even though Win7 Pro 64bit is light years ahead of XP.
    My department uses software that still can't handle 7 - and some of those products are from heavy hitter developers (like Cisco).

Quote Originally Posted by Mileron View Post
    My department uses software that still can't handle 7 - and some of those products are from heavy hitter developers (like Cisco).
    I bet Cisco has a new 90,000 dollar switch that will work with Win7 software.

My next laptop (which probably will not be at least for another 2, perhaps 3 years) will be a chromebook.

My next desktop will run linux.

I'm through with windows software unless someone else buys it for me.

Buckeye Wizard

Windows 10 is free.

Nerkahia
    Retired 85 Wizard of Ascentia, The Nameless

"Maybe if the Republicanoids weren't snorting coke off oil execs dicks, we could have had less dependancy on oil by now!!" - Silverblade-T-E

Technically, no, it is not.