Thread: A new comp

Forum Arcanist

A new comp

Its getting on for time for a new system, but I havent been paying attention to developments for a few years. Can I get some suggestions for required components/stats for a decent, not quite top-end, gaming comp please? Share your wisdom!

Re: A new comp

id go with Haswell-E since it uses DDR4. Now I do not state DD4 as it being a huge leap from DDR3 as I would imagine its not, But it is likely the next step so may as well be ready on that front.

The first question to ask is what stats do you have now? How obsolete are you and is there anything that can be recycled or are you wanting to go whole hog and replace everything.

And of course rather than picking what end and how top, id set a budget.
    "When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    — Jerry Seinfeld

Buckeye Wizard

Some components to consider in the early planning stage imho is a solid state drive for the OS, a second, larger SATA drive for storage, a 64-bit OS to utilize more RAM (8GB at least) and a motherboard / processor combo that fits your price range that works well with Nvidia graphics cards, which I still believe is superior. YMMV.
    Nerkahia
    Retired 85 Wizard of Ascentia, The Nameless

"Maybe if the Republicanoids weren't snorting coke off oil execs dicks, we could have had less dependancy on oil by now!!" - Silverblade-T-E

Elder Arcanist

Elder Arcanist

Sign up for new egg shell shockers. Keep an eye out for the combo deals, easy way to snatch a huge bargain

Forum Arcanist

My current desktop is 4 years old or so. Not sure if there's anything specifically salvageable from it but I generally just replace the whole comp and move the old one to second-comp status. Yes on 64-bit, and I'm thinking 16 gig ram assuming thats not useless. Yes on the combo ssd/regular drive combo, although I'd go for a somewhat larger SSD to hold the most used games. Budget around $1500 give or take, but I'm not married to that number. Whats the price difference between ddr 4 and 3? And whats good, near current in Nvidia cards these days? And whats the current paradigm in CPUs? Single, dual, quad or more?

Unrelated- I have 8 USB ports on my comp. They all look the same (I'm told 3.0's often look different). My drivers etc say I have SUB 3.0 in there somewhere, but I know they arent all 3.0. Any easy way to find out which ones are 3.0 since I assume at least 2 are, unless I have 3.0 software on my comp for no reason at all?

Elder Arcanist

With $1500, you can get a pretty decent rig. Are you set on doing a timeline? Or can you wait a bit, and pick up a few pieces at a time?

Forum Arcanist

While I *could* do a few bits at a time its not my general habit- I generally just grab the whole thing as a lump. Thats where my personality, finances, patience, and comfort levels with things generally leads me.

Elder Arcanist

I'll post a quick build in that range for you later... I built mine about a year ago for half that amount, and it's still considered a great machine.

To add to what Nerkahia said, my personal preference is two SSD drives and one Sata drive. One SSD for the operating system, the second for your games and apps, and Sata for data.

This gives you a little more protection for any possible drive failures and minimizes recovery time. This is how my laptop is set up and I make an image copy of my OS drive and one of my apps drive for restore if needed and keep my data on a scheduled backup on my cloud drive.

Again, just my personal preferences, but it may be worth considering.
    CeeNedra

---------------
    Men.. it's not their fault. You can't give someone two heads and expect them to think straight!

DDR4 is more costly. But its also the future course of System RAM. That said I doubt DDR3 is going away any time soon since a shitload of computers are DDR3.

Another question to ask yourself is how soon do you need to upgrade in relation to games coming? By Q4 we will be looking at a new Intel core (Sky Lake) and a new chipset... Also Nvidia and AMD have new stuff coming by Q4 or Q1 2016.
    "When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    — Jerry Seinfeld

hella Star-Demon :3

Quote Originally Posted by Cee View Post
    To add to what Nerkahia said, my personal preference is two SSD drives and one Sata drive. One SSD for the operating system, the second for your games and apps, and Sata for data.

This gives you a little more protection for any possible drive failures and minimizes recovery time. This is how my laptop is set up and I make an image copy of my OS drive and one of my apps drive for restore if needed and keep my data on a scheduled backup on my cloud drive.

Again, just my personal preferences, but it may be worth considering.
    ^ doing it right: all backups all the time.

Elder Arcanist

I'm lazy, and don't have time to compute everything out for you, so here's a nice link to Tom's Enthusiast build of Q1 2015.

You have an extra couple $100s, I'd trade up on the RAM to 2x 8GB, and upgrade the Power supply to a modular gold rated 700W. If you have enough left over (or parts from another PC), I'd throw in a second SSD for just your OS.

If you need a monitor, I'd go the RAM over anything else.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...uild,4056.html

Few other things I would change from that build:

Go with a Kingston SSD, stay away from PNY.

Definitely go with a different power supply, get a 650W Gold, price should be fairly similar.

Above all, watch for "bundles" on some of these items, as it will drop the price greatly. Newegg usually does bundled mobas + processors, sometimes mobas + ram. Easy way to snag a deal.

Could also easily drop the case shown in the above example, but I kind of like it for expansion down the line.
    Last edited by Ialnyien; April 22nd, 2015 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Some more notes

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

You've already gotten some pretty good advice, and I only casually follow this stuff, but I've been approaching my own upgrade cycle and so have a few stray items of possible interest to share.

1) While I like Newegg, if you live near a Microcenter you are likely to get better deals there. I never stop seeing PC enthusiasts raving about deals they get there.

2) If your last PC used a i5-2500k, I've seen a lot of enthusiasts talking about how with a good overclock they have yet to see a reason to upgrade. This is the situation I am in, though I never overclocked mine.

To sort of answer the question about cpu paradigms, I'm pretty sure quad is such a given that it doesn't even get specifically mentioned anymore. Intel i5 and i7 processors have been in vogue ever since I built my previous computer three years ago.

3) The latest gpus I've seen people talk the most about are the 970 and 980 from Nvidia, and the R9 something or another from AMD. I've generally found that the common consensus on Nvidia vs AMD is that AMD is more cost effective but that Nvidia is more convenient. In this case I've read that the R9 is cheaper than the 970, but is larger, has a bigger power draw, and generates more heat. Most people seem to simply be recommending the 970. I don't know when exactly the next line for either company is due.

You might already know this, but keep in mind that the resolution you play at will largely determine how powerful your gpu needs to be, particularly with vram. 1440p seems to be becoming the new standard, though my 1080p monitor has allowed me to skimp on upgrades up to now. I think GTA 5 and The Witcher 3 (which you can get with some cards) is going to force my hand.

You might also find it interesting that Nvidia has developed a new technology to eliminate the need for v-sync in video games. As you probably know, v-sync is an option meant to reduce screen tearing but often causes problems of it's own. They've got chips built into new "g-snyc" monitors that handle the frame draw calculations instead of the gpu. These monitors are very expensive, but it's kind of cool, and AMD has followed suit with a similar technology they call freesync.
    Last edited by Wool; April 22nd, 2015 at 09:35 PM.