Thread: Cell Phone Signal Boosters

Cell Phone Signal Boosters

Has anyone used one of these?

I'm not talking about the silly antenna rings that you could buy for your cell phone back when they had antennae. I'm talking about these multi-hundred dollar costing router/gateway/modem looking things that are starting to grace the #1 seller spots on Amazon and similar retail outlets online.

71f9VOMz-jL._SL1500_.jpg

I don't plan on getting one for my own home anytime soon, but I was thinking of ways to make the building that I maintain a little more marketable against the 70 other buildings in the area that are all newer.

If these work, and I installed one on each building (4 buildings total), it might be a good argument for sales of leases. Not to mention, I'm sure existing tenant would sure appreciate it.

Also, with this flimsy antenna, would hooking it up to a full size television antenna improve the signal better? We have them on the buildings, but no one uses their connection anymore. It would be a cool use of existing technology (just plug the router into it) .

Re: Cell Phone Signal Boosters

i do not know how the ones on Amazon work, In fact this might be something to consult the higher end about or even the carriers. What you want to do the job right is not a portable cell site that ties into a internet connection but is to first check signals at your location. And then see about an actual repeater system. They cost more but if management is willing to go forward its best to use the right equipment.
    "When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    — Jerry Seinfeld

Quote Originally Posted by FilanFyretracker View Post
    i do not know how the ones on Amazon work, In fact this might be something to consult the higher end about or even the carriers. What you want to do the job right is not a portable cell site that ties into a internet connection but is to first check signals at your location. And then see about an actual repeater system. They cost more but if management is willing to go forward its best to use the right equipment.
    That product does not tap into internet.

one thing to be sure of is that it covers the frequency ranges of all the carriers including those that are for LTE.

And make sure the site has a good signal outside with the carriers, Repeaters from ones like this to large heavy duty units costing thousands are still limited by the number of bars they can get.

LTE might be the hardest one as that widens the frequency range quite a bit.
    "When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    — Jerry Seinfeld

here in the UK, you can get femtocell device for free if you have a contract cell phone. My house got no signal anywhere apart from the bathroom, my provider ran some tests, agreed with me and sent me one out. Now my wife & I have full signal anywhere in the house. it plugs directly into my router and so is not strictly a signal booster.
    Herb
    Blog

Quote Originally Posted by HerbertDypp View Post
    here in the UK, you can get femtocell device for free if you have a contract cell phone. My house got no signal anywhere apart from the bathroom, my provider ran some tests, agreed with me and sent me one out. Now my wife & I have full signal anywhere in the house. it plugs directly into my router and so is not strictly a signal booster.
    you get can get those in the US too, But to handle a whole building of people you either need a repeater which is pretty self installish. Or you need the carriers to install micro-cells on site. A cell repeater works no different than any other radio repeater, A micro-cell has a traditional backfeed that is either fiber or directional microwave.
    — Jerry Seinfeld