Thread: Converting from iTunes to Google Play Music Manager

Converting from iTunes to Google Play Music Manager

A little Background

I purchased my first iPod in August of 2010. I was painting a humongous building by myself an needed something to get my brain off the ridiculous heat. It did its job, but running iTunes from an almost 10 year old PC took hours at a time just to make a single play list.

2 years later, I purchased a laptop just so I could manipulate iTunes. 2 years after that, even the "new" laptop couldn't keep up with the bloatware that is known as iTunes for Windows. Around the same time, I purchased my very first smart phone, a Samsung Galaxy Transform Ultra, and since then, my use of the iPod has become less and less.

So if you read this thread you'll learn that I recently reset my Kyocera Hydro Icon with a factory reset to fix an SMS/MMS photo texting problem.

Since then, I've reduced the number of applications on my phone with an interest to increase my battery life throughout the day. No more social networking apps, and I switched over to spotiify from Pandora because of the recommendation of others. I only run it when I have good internet connection.

Now, I have a need to get all my tunes from my iPod over to my phone so that I can listen to what is on the hard drive, as I do with my podcasts, instead of streaming all day.

Within the past year, one of my drippler feeds informed me of a way that Google Play Music Manager was offering the import of up to 20,000 itunes titles into GPPM for free. I made this weekend the one that I would get it done. The software itself has been phenominal.

I started with getting Google Play Music Manager, first.

I installed the software, and told it to import all my songs from my iTunes library.

It started with all the songs on purchased iTunes and didn't have a problem. Those first 200 songs went by in almost an instant. iTunes uploaded whatever song information to the Google servers that it needed and the were instantaneously in my library.

Next, the 1,000 or more songs I had from ripped from my CD collection made their way almost as quickly. The GPPM software checked the file compression:song length ratios and converted my Violent Femmes, Nine inch Nails and everything else into GPPM's mp3 format.

Now, over the course of the last 20 years, I've collected another 6,000+ songs from different sources in the form of mp3. When I first got my iPod, it converted them into AAC, and now GPPM and my Laptop CPU, cache and ram have spent the past 12+ hours converting them back into mp3 and at the same time, try and figure out what they are, and if unable, upload them as is into the Google Play cloud.

I like this. I orginally got my iPod with the thought that I would never have to have mp3s take up space on my computer. It is a waste of hard drive space to have them.

Apple/ iTunes, for whatever reason, felt it necessary to have the host computer be the only computer allowed to manipulate a single iPod, and any songs on an iPod must be wiped completely after finding a new host computer. This completely negated the hopes of having additional hard drive space from my mp3s over all these years. Little did I know that my mp3s only took up a small 10-12 gigs.

That being said, all in all, I'm extremely excited to have everything on one device, very soon. I am very excited to have it all able to stream over bluetooth wireless instead of wired headphones (I hate wires).

We'll see what else the future holds. I'll touch on this again in the near future.

Is there anybody else who has also used GPPM and transferred over from Apple?

hella Star-Demon :3

Re: Converting from iTunes to Google Play Music Manager

What the fuck is a drippler feed

Poof make squid!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MI Redeux View Post
    What the fuck is a drippler feed
    Basically, it's a phone app that reads your model and software version and recommends apps you might like.

It learns as you go based on what you click on.

Because I only go after an app when I'm looking to do something I don't have an app for already, It's nothing I'd ever use, but I know some people who swear by it on Android. I think it's on iPhone now too.

Can't say I've ever used GPMM, and I avoided iTunes like the plague once my wife got a used iPod for free and it packet stormed my LAN with UDP traffic after one particular update. Etherape never looked so busy on my old traffic-monitoring ancient-box-with-a-CRT setup (I actually VLAN'd her machine for that).

My jobs have never really lent me to playlists while working, and on the commute I tend to go through podcasts, mostly.

Sorry I can't be more help.
    For copyright purposes, all of my posts are covered under the "Do What The Fuck You Want To Public License"
    http://sam.zoy.org/wtfpl/
    Noone should sue or be sued ambiguously.

It can be handy to install on all of your tablets/smart phones. I know for certain it is available for android, but I'm not so sure about Apple.

It is really handy for getting information specific to your phone or tablet no matter how broad the strokes are that you use that device.

My phone will occasionally get an update about what new or different touch keyboard apps have come out, or text/data syncing apps between phone and tablet.

For me, particularly, I like to get updates about music creation software, and I believe this is the reason why it chose to show me info on GPMM in a couple different iterations.

It updates about once to twice a day and will give you a little newsfeed about various things.

Google just increased the upload song limit to 50,000.
    Herb
    Blog

Quote Originally Posted by HerbertDypp View Post
    Google just increased the upload song limit to 50,000.
    Holy FUCK.

just what i thought. I'd been removing older stuff to make way for newer stuff. Wish I'd waited!
    Herb
    Blog

hella Star-Demon :3

Really should check out BitTorrent Sync, makes it super trivial to share and access files across networks. It is excellent for media sharing in particular as everything is simply exposed as a filesystem, so there are no issues with accessing it from whatever player etc. you wish. It's one of a handful of closed source apps I use willingly. Available on a ludicrous number of platforms and BitTorrent (the company) iterates on it quickly. There are a lot of interesting third-party apps developed on top of it as well.

Thus far I have not been able to fuck it up any, I am hesitant to claim it is retard proof, but thus far it has been (the retard being myself during death marches). It is somewhat similar to a much more friendly take on git-annex (yes there are stark differences in their goals lets ignore that for this context). I super wish they would go ahead and allow using it for commercial purposes already as it solves a problem of sharing large assets across a team amongst individuals who have diverse backgrounds. It makes relying upon cloud storage services obsolete in effect. And it is cheaper in the long run assuming you are paying for storage at all.

I've been using it for over a year now I think, been very satisfied.
    Last edited by MI Redeux; March 2nd, 2015 at 10:20 PM.