Thread: Tuner / Receiver Recommendations

Buckeye Wizard

Tuner / Receiver Recommendations

My current unit:

http://www.onkyousa.com/Products/mod...class=Receiver

I really, really liked this unit; the sound quality, power, the calibration procedure, and multi-room capability.

But I have had a ridiculous amount of trouble with it since we purchased it. At first I suspected I just had a couple of old, intermittently failing HDMI cables. But after replacing them and seeing the same issues I realized it was the tuner. Then some of the listening modes started failing, and the remote quit responding in some of the modes so now we leave it in the same, worthless mode for TV, DVD and music. And lately it's losing its connection with the DVR frequently, if only momentarily, but because I have our video going through it we lose audio and video for 2 seconds all the time while it re-establishes. It's just been a nightmare.

I've upgraded the firmware multiple times and spoken to folks in tech support. Their suspicion is the main board inside which the repair or replacement cost would closely match that of a new unit, so I think that's going to be my Christmas this year.

Does anyone have any good recommendations for similar units? I'm looking at Sony and Pioneer as I shant purchase another Onkyo piece of equipment again in the foreseeable future.

I like multi-room capability so I can pump music out to my porch in summers, and need an all purpose model for watching movies and sports as well as listening to music.
    Nerkahia
    Retired 85 Wizard of Ascentia, The Nameless

"Maybe if the Republicanoids weren't snorting coke off oil execs dicks, we could have had less dependancy on oil by now!!" - Silverblade-T-E

Re: Tuner / Receiver Recommendations

I had an amazing Onkyo for years. I spent about $300 on it. Out of nowhere, it failed, and I was really depressed about it. I'd had several receivers before it, they were all Sony. I lost/misplaced them in moves, etc before they ever failed on me.

I've also got an RCA Surround Sound system. At the end of the day, you should get a good reliable brand of Receiver (Sony is fine, Yamaha is quite good) and just get whatever features you are looking for.

PERSONALLY, I feel like receivers are on their way out. The functionality is falling further and further into a niche reserved almost exclusively for just absolute audiophiles, and people wanting to spend money on expiring technologies. (They are also a waste of electricity compared to similar technology).

I get your angle, though. You've got the speakers, and you've got a cool setup, you just want to replace a single core unit, and have everything the same as it once was.

What brand of television do you have? Sometimes, it can be nicer to grab the same brand (or one with programmable codes specifically for your TV) so you can control it all with the same remote.

For a few years, I was buying Rebuilt RCA stuff (Not a brag, just a statement) from work, so I replaced my Onkyo that went bad with a marked down RCA Surround Sound receiver and its lasted over 12 years. I spent $99 on it, and because I already had the TV, the remotes worked together quite efficiently. It reduced the headache I had with constantly losing the ONkyo remote and wanting to adjust settings from the couch.

As far as what technology I would do in moving forward? -- The new soundbars that are coming out from the television manufacturers to go alongside their televisions are inexpensive and quite impressive. They also tend to have Bluetooth capabilities, which makes DJing from your phone or tablet much less of a headache than going through your CD Carousel. Your mileage may vary. Just a suggestion.

99% Bacon Free
    Blog Entries

I'm still waiting for something that can seamlessly work with all the components in the entertainment system. Dammit, we can bounce a probe off of Kim Kardashian's comet, but we still can't seamlessly integrate our entertainment systems!

Quote Originally Posted by Merkus View Post
    I'm still waiting for something that can seamlessly work with all the components in the entertainment system. Dammit, we can bounce a probe off of Kim Kardashian's comet, but we still can't seamlessly integrate our entertainment systems!
    This is something I wish we could have. A unified system command structure. The problem is they are all ecosystem driven, They want you to have a sony everything.
    "When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    — Jerry Seinfeld

Buckeye Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Tinthalas Tigris View Post

PERSONALLY, I feel like receivers are on their way out. The functionality is falling further and further into a niche reserved almost exclusively for just absolute audiophiles, and people wanting to spend money on expiring technologies.
    Oh, I don't disagree, and I'm fine with that. I just happen to fall in that "niche."

I get your angle, though. You've got the speakers, and you've got a cool setup, you just want to replace a single core unit, and have everything the same as it once was.
    Exactly!

When I finished the basement of our recent home expansion, I built a custom wall about 3 feet in from one of the corners, and designed cabinets to house the receiver, DVR, DVD equipment and speakers so that they're all flush mount / inset with a hidden access closet behind it all. From there I have CAT5, audio cables and speaker wire ran all over the place from the bar in the rear of the room, to up in the garage and out to the porch. I have ceiling mounted speakers for the rear surround and have everything just as I like it. Just need a goddamn reliable tuner lol.
    Spoiler for image:

What brand of television do you have? Sometimes, it can be nicer to grab the same brand (or one with programmable codes specifically for your TV) so you can control it all with the same remote.
    True, but we've got a Samsung. And there's plenty of apps now for remote control, so that's not as high a priority as the other items for me.

But thanks for the feedback! -Was just looking for some consumer feedback on some of the various brand names out there. I've got a pair of Cerwin Vega speakers that I've used as the two front speakers for my surround sound setup that are probably around 25 years old, and rock like no other. I was hoping to find a tuner with comparative durability, along with the various new features available today.
    Last edited by Nerkahia; November 28th, 2014 at 07:32 PM.
    Nerkahia

"Maybe if the Republicanoids weren't snorting coke off oil execs dicks, we could have had less dependancy on oil by now!!" - Silverblade-T-E

Overlooking your receiver, again, and reading some in depth reviews, I get the feeling that this receiver was pushed out to give people a taste of the higher level of receivers for less, using parts that would eventually fault.

THey don't make it anymore, and it is the least expensive in its class, and least favored onkyo in general. The old adage, "you get what you pay for" seems to apply.

In this case, I would say the most reliable receiver that you could ever own would have to be a Denon.

I would go witht his one, so long as it fits, to replace it:

http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-X210...7278529&sr=1-1

BTW, you should get fil in the cuts of the drywall along their edges and frame it with door casin, or at least PVC molding (like this)

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Royal-Mou...vZara1Z1z135qs

Buckeye Wizard

Yeah, I still have some finish work to do yet. And I think you're right about that Onkyo I picked.

I'll look at that Denon and continue my research. Thanks again for the suggestions!
    Nerkahia

Forum Sorcerer

Quote Originally Posted by Nerkahia View Post
    Yeah, I still have some finish work to do yet. And I think you're right about that Onkyo I picked.

I'll look at that Denon and continue my research. Thanks again for the suggestions!
    I have a Denon that I like very much. Biggest reason I bought it was for the dual zone function. You can watch a Bluray with surround sound on one zone and play i-pod on second zone to outdoor speakers.

Buckeye Wizard

Yeah, I think I'm leaning towards:

http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-X100.../dp/B00CALM2JY

-Seems like the most affordable option that is both network ready and has multi room capability (that isn't an Onkyo).

I've haven't been sold on the 7.1 surround setup.
    Nerkahia

Those are pretty impressive features for that price tag.

I'm amazed at how far some of the features have moved along in the past 10 years (but not really all that surprised).

Looks like, in order to facilitate audiophile ergonomics, they've finally built in a video-out context menu that is pretty flashy, as well as bluetooth/app control, which is pretty impressive.

While I'm tempted to buy one, I know that it would just be a waste of money for me. I just do not use my home audio for that stuff anymore, and nor do I have the opportunity, living in a town home.

Maybe in another 3-5 years after we've moved onto a house.

Half of winning the Audiophiles is appealing to the placebo programming of their minds. $2000 interconnect cables would not exist otherwise.
    "When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    — Jerry Seinfeld