Thread: Anyone Have Ideas on How to Achieve This

hella Star-Demon :3

Anyone Have Ideas on How to Achieve This

Here is basically my currently encountering problem:

I need to be as efficient as possible and to that end, I can only do so if I am able to have access to information that shows my actions throughout the day.

i) Formulating tasks, notes, and reports ain't no thing and I have a great setup for that
    ii) Writing long form write ups is fluid, generating presentations that are not complete shit thanks to having a fucking clue about conferring information in a non-retarded way unlike every boss I have had is not an issue

However, I have no way to effectively keep tabs on what I have done over a time period and how long that took for each task, and it is often the case that I am doing multiple things at once, an example being icing my hands and knees and watching TV simultaneously or reading and doing cardio simultaneously.

Basically my situation is, I need to quantify this aspect of my existence in a more effective manner. I am not always around a computer so it is not possible to clock-in and clock-out in my main app for information (emacs in org-mode or org mobile), which is the most fluid way I have found and keeps my information accessible very trivially.

While on the go, I always have my phone with me, and have been attempting to fill this need by using Hours, the problem is though, this is very tedious and there does not exist a way to count multiple tasks simultaneously, which is my use case most of the time; my metacognition skills are very good but it is not possible to realize nonoptimal workflows are occurring without being able to track what is happening during a time period in a convenient way.

I essentially need a way to collect my locations with decent precision (GPS works for this decently) and then annotate it with the task being performed at that point in time. The pattern of my behavior at each location is pretty consistent but will obviously not be always accurate even with this design, especially in a computing context.

Hours has good support for exporting data for analysis, but while it is a very pretty and useful interface, its rather unambitious means of tracking what is happening over that time period is cumbersome and a portable device is the only way to complement what is happening when I am not on a computer or have it open even if I am carrying it with me.

So, what do? In my mind, this is absolutely how quantifying life should be with just doing it manually, an inverted annotation makes a lot of sense as that organizes how humans actually thing and behave better.

No prison can hold me!

Re: Anyone Have Ideas on How to Achieve This

Just keep a notepad open in whatever word processor your phone has. Note start and stop times for tasks.
    ------------------------------------------
    I *AM* the Chinpokomon master!

hella Star-Demon :3

Re: Anyone Have Ideas on How to Achieve This

Quote Originally Posted by Schezar View Post
    Just keep a notepad open in whatever word processor your phone has. Note start and stop times for tasks.
    > the problem is though, this is very tedious

At minimum the solution must record continually where I am, provide an interface for annotating that time period, and exporting the data. I think I will have to make this myself as like with most software no one is thinking about it intelligently in any meaningful manner. A significant swathe of the case I have in mind can infer what is going on based on set patterns with a large degree of success (location, motion information) which already occurs to some degree but isn't purposed for this task, in effect we need a way to bug our phones that is user accessible, essentially spying on ourselves purposefully; ideally we could just access the info already collected but no one has that in mind in a comprehensive way at least.

The reason the notepad idea doesn't work is that after an initial sweep, we are looking for periods of time that are unnoted typically, and looking at data that we do record directly already we can infer where we are becoming unproductive i.e. at what point is it simply better to just stop and make the user aware of that point in time. Every programmer has ran into a situation where they have became a zombie but become numb to that only to realize they wasted hours of time harming tomorrow's productivity but when that is occurring is not usually obvious while it is happening, usually because it is motivated by a death march and perception that the trade off being made is necessary. From a managerial point of view, the perception is that this pattern is good and means the manager is doing a good job of exploiting the workers to upper managements best interests, which any non-mouth breather can tell you is not the case at all.