Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 3D Printers

Re: 3D Printers

Quote Originally Posted by Ackar View Post
    Nifty but also one of the comments on the CW site is also right. Dremel should release a consumer CNC machine someday, They have the rotory tool experience to make good cutters.
    "When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    — Jerry Seinfeld

Delmarva 85 Troll Enhancement Shaman Alternate Eclipse

Never Forget those who gave it all ten years ago.

hella Star-Demon :3

Quote Originally Posted by Ackar View Post
    Dremel is pretty awesome, this 3D printer is less featureful than comparably priced systems, but the packaging is so well done that it has the potential to be very impactful. It is exciting that Dremel is targeting the consumer market with an affordable price point as well. I wish they would target schools too in the US. While everyone is hot to have CS become a core curriculum, 3D design skills is going to be as or more important and even has synergy with programming in the same way teaching maths with using CAD systems has synergy. I used a dremel when doing one of my first ever computer mods, which looking back on it I think my parents were insane to let me do unsupervised but it turned out well despite my ignorance at the time.

Elder Arcanist

Another Slashdot find...

The UPS Store will 3-D print stuff for you

UPS (UPS) announced plans Monday to bring in-store 3-D-printing services to nearly 100 stores across the country, billing itself as the first national retailer to do so.

With the UPS system, customers can submit their own designs for objects like product prototypes, engineering parts and architectural models that are then printed on a professional-quality 3-D printer made by Stratasys.

Related: Amazon launches 3-D-printing store

Prices vary depending on the complexity of the object; an iPhone case would be about $60, while a replica femur bone would be around $325. UPS can also connect customers with outside professionals who charge an hourly rate to help produce a design file for the printer.

It generally takes about four or five hours to print a simple object, with more complex items taking a day or more.

The program started as a pilot at six locations last year, and UPS says those stores "saw demand for 3-D print continuing to increase across a broad spectrum of customers."

was only time before this happened and UPS is honestly in a good position for this, They do not need this at some small town UPS store because they are UPS it could just be shipped if you are not near a print capable store.
    "When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    — Jerry Seinfeld

Banjo Duellist, 8th Dan
    Blog Entries

Well, tring with Spelljammer mini I made
    Thing is if model works, they charge £24 but, they do by entire build tray, not model
    So could get maybe 4 made at time

99% Bacon Free
    Blog Entries

I started messing with Sculptris this weekend. Really fun tool and free! I hope to get good enough to create something I can output to a 3D printer.

Quote Originally Posted by Merkus View Post
    I started messing with Sculptris this weekend. Really fun tool and free! I hope to get good enough to create something I can output to a 3D printer.

Nice, did you take a picture of a monitor?

99% Bacon Free
    Blog Entries

Yes I did... it was just convenient to do it that way.

Very cool, glad to see more people enthusiastic about manufacturing at home. IMO this will be even more impactful for society than the industrial or Internet/Computer revolution and immensely important for dominating economically in the same way that West Asia dominates electronic manufacturing due to investing in that heavily after WWII while we invested in ballistics. It is pretty absurd that despite an overwhelming proportion of research development on electronics being entirely due to the US, we fucking suck on the manufacturing front, lol, despite having the skill set to do so. As the tsunami wiping out RAM and HDD plants shows, it is very precarious not having the industry more geographically redundant.

IMO after singularity, smart nations should dump as much resources into focusing on teaching CAD, pure mathematics, and engineering skills so that they have the people who have the proper skill synergy to maximize creativity and product development. The US is immensely wrong headed in our current focus, we should be dumping billions of dollars on mapping the human brain, which will be even more important than the human genome project instead of a paltry sum being dedicated to it internationally.

99% Bacon Free
    Blog Entries

Funny you should say that (re mapping the brain). I just read this interview today:
    http://www.technologyreview.com/news...-be-conscious/

Quote Originally Posted by MI Redeux View Post
    Very cool, glad to see more people enthusiastic about manufacturing at home. IMO this will be even more impactful for society than the industrial or Internet/Computer revolution and immensely important for dominating economically in the same way that West Asia dominates electronic manufacturing due to investing in that heavily after WWII while we invested in ballistics. It is pretty absurd that despite an overwhelming proportion of research development on electronics being entirely due to the US, we fucking suck on the manufacturing front, lol, despite having the skill set to do so. As the tsunami wiping out RAM and HDD plants shows, it is very precarious not having the industry more geographically redundant.

IMO after singularity, smart nations should dump as much resources into focusing on teaching CAD, pure mathematics, and engineering skills so that they have the people who have the proper skill synergy to maximize creativity and product development. The US is immensely wrong headed in our current focus, we should be dumping billions of dollars on mapping the human brain, which will be even more important than the human genome project instead of a paltry sum being dedicated to it internationally.

As long as we have the current crop of idiots and up and coming idiots for congress and local lawmaking the US will always head down the wrong road. Also unless we crash some planes into Wall Street the US will never see manufacturing on a reasonable scale again because the crooks on Wall Street would rather pay a few cents to a Chinese worker or engineer than a living wage to an American.
    — Jerry Seinfeld

— Jerry Seinfeld

Banjo Duellist, 8th Dan
    Blog Entries

Ok, not sure if this will print, should but hey first time I've tried this

http://www.silverblades-suitcase.com...owar_print.zip

render with dollar for scale
    hope it works out right!

manowar 3d print.jpg
    Last edited by Silverblade-T-E; October 5th, 2014 at 01:00 PM.

Elder Arcanist

Now walmart's getting into it...

3D full-body scanning booth to create custom figurines

3D scanner manufactuer Artec Group announced the U.S. debut of its Shapify Booth, which can scan your entire body in 12 seconds and use the resulting file to print a life-like figurine.

The figurine, which Shapify is calling a "Shapie," is created on a 3D printer in full color.

Artec hopes the scanning booths will catch on in U.S. retail stores, such as Walmart, as well as theme parks and other major tourist sites, shopping malls and airports. Artec has already rolled out the booths in two ASDA supermarkets in the UK. ASDA is owned by Walmart.

Artec offers to print the figurines for booth operators (retailers) for $50 for a 6-in. model, $70 for a 7.5-in. model, and $100 for a 9-in. figurine. A $50 shipping fee is charged for a per bulk order and covers delivery within seven days anywhere in the world. Artec is suggesting retailers sell the finished figurines for $99, $139, and $199, respectively.

Booth operators are not obliged to use Artec’s printing service and have the option of printing the figurines themselves or finding their own printing partner. Depending on the business model the booth operator has chosen, the 3D model file is either free or $20. If the booth operator has bought the booth outright or is renting the booth, the files are free. If the booth operator prefers the SaaS model, then files are $20 each, however the initial payment covers an initial 2,500 image files.

The company demonstrated the technology this week at the "Inside 3D Printing" conference in Santa Clara, Calif.

"Shapies are perfect for capturing life's milestones in 3D figurine form like birthdays, graduations, a wedding, pregnancy, or even this year's awesome Halloween costume," the company said in its marketing material.

While the use of 3D scanning with 3D printers is not new -- several leading 3D printer makers sell hand-held scanners or scanning turntables that can recreate small objects -- Artec's Shapify is arguably the first full-body scanner positioned for use in retail locations.

The 3D Shapify booths are equipped with four wide view, high-resolution Artec scanners, which rotate around the person to scan every angle. Artec claims the high-powered scan and precision printing is able to capture even the smallest details, down to the wrinkles on clothes. The scanning process generates 700 captured surfaces, which are automatically stitched together using Artec's advanced algorithms to produce an electronic file ready for 3D printing.

"The Shapify Booth will be the first experience many people have with 3D scanning and printing technology," Artyom Yukhin, CEO of Artec Group, said in a statement. "As a kid, you may have gotten into a photo booth with your friends and had a strip of pictures printed out to commemorate the occasion. Our goal is to have this generation do the same thing, but add another dimension and in the end have a 3D printed figurine to solidify the memory."

Stores can rent the scanners for $10,000 a month or buy them for $180,000.

The company also sells a software package called Shapify Pro that allows users with Xbox Kinect game boxes to scan themselves at home and either print their own figurine if they have a 3D printer or send it off to Artec to print.

Last edited by Ackar; October 23rd, 2014 at 07:49 AM.

Manufacturing at home is going to be the most disruptive emergent event in society since the Internet, perhaps even surpass that in effect. Already we see the benefits this has had in enabling people to manufacture goods that otherwise would never make it to market as they are too expensive to be viable, even in a luxury market, and this has had positive effects for companies that produce intermediate parts and experience greater demand for their products that otherwise would never occur as the people purchasing would not be a potential vendor. Smart countries are dumping resources into training people with these skills so that they are prepared to take advantage of this. We have already seen how explosive bringing the cost of software to zero and minimizing the barrier to entry in most cases has had for enabling people to participate in those cultures. In emacs for instance, the change in the number of packages available has more than doubled just with the introduction of a package manager ~2 years ago as part of the default installation, and many of those packages that otherwise would not have existed are amongst the best in class and huge boosts in productivity. With games some community sourced improvements are better than even the original game! Torchlight 2, Neverwinter Nights, Skyrim, and Arma 2 are some examples that come to mind here, and all because they enabled people to participate that otherwise would not have been able to. A community member has much more agility when it comes to taking huge risks that otherwise would be seen as too risky or hard to put on the average cases and decided against and that has huge payoff.
    Last edited by MI Redeux; October 24th, 2014 at 08:38 AM.

Elder Arcanist

Just browsed a photo album from CES and saw a couple of cool 3D printed items:

This chocolate was 3D printed by 3D Systems' new Cocojet printer, made in collaboration with Hershey's.
    choco_printer.jpg

I think this 3D printed dress just looks very cool:
    3dress.jpg
    'This world may be another planet's hell.'{Aldous Huxley}
    'After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.'{Aldous Huxley}

Costco has a 3rd printer for sale. Thought maybe that was what this was about.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinthalas Tigris View Post
    Costco has a 3rd printer for sale. Thought maybe that was what this was about.
    The relevant machines for quick prototyping of electronics are crashing in price as well, it is a great time to be an infant as by the time they can participate the systems will be ubiquitous or at least cheap with a low barrier to entry. Systems which were at one point millions of dollars are < 10k now, obscene.

Oni
    Blog Entries

I've written a lot of stuff for 3D printing as part of my job. I'm pretty sure - outside of nano-particle pollution and other issues, that it'll be huge and adoption is taking off. We really have something here that's going to kill injection molding and other large machines that need to ramp up huge energy potential and material tolerances to make products.

"Don't yell at S-D for using words you're not completely sure of, it embarrasses you. He's right anyway." - Alikat

Elder Arcanist

Quote Originally Posted by Star-Demon View Post
    I've written a lot of stuff for 3D printing as part of my job. I'm pretty sure - outside of nano-particle pollution and other issues, that it'll be huge and adoption is taking off. We really have something here that's going to kill injection molding and other large machines that need to ramp up huge energy potential and material tolerances to make products.
    No, it's not going to kill injection molding. There is no way 3D printing is going to match the output. 3D printing is amazing for prototyping but let's not make it what it will never be.