Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 3D Printers

Elder Arcanist

Re: 3D Printers

Quote Originally Posted by Eremius View Post
    No, it's not going to kill injection molding. There is no way 3D printing is going to match the output. 3D printing is amazing for prototyping but let's not make it what it will never be.
    Right now we're just missing the mass-production. Time has a funny way of dealing with the word never.

You don't need large output if they can be printed/made on site as needed

Elder Arcanist

Well, the copyright MAFIAA was able to get a piracy tax added on to blank media sales due to potential piracy. It shouldn't be long before a tax shows up for 3D printer medias...

hella Star-Demon :3

Quote Originally Posted by Ialnyien View Post
    Right now we're just missing the mass-production. Time has a funny way of dealing with the word never.

You don't need large output if they can be printed/made on site as needed
    Exactly, naysayers are tremendously ignorant paralleled to the same extent that people claimed home users had no benefit from computing, a complete absence of vision. In truth, manufacturing at home will exceed the societal shift of the industrial revolution, information age, and car combined; the only near future change will be the Singularity, an event which will have tremendous synergy with ubiquitous on site manufacturing as well; consider how tremendous the change in how this affects shipping alone and its associated latency and tax, that will cut enormously into the energy cost alone and obviate the utility in same day shipping entirely. Having manufacturing capabilities of products on par with Foxconn at comparable unit costs for everyone is completely game changing and with orders of magnitude less turn around time and unmatchable shipping latency, when combined with ubiquitous AI on par with a competent human dwarfs any dynamic ever seen in history, comparable to the effects of the printing press itself. It is the difference between a worker who is capable of automating everything which follows an observed pattern and one who cannot use computers competently, the former makes the latter a waste of resources even if they cost an order of magnitude more in training or salary; in the real world because workers pay does not reflect their utility and is largely exploitative, a reality which is blindly accepted, that does not happen, to wit it is tremendous competitive advantage incorporating such skills and practices axiomatically. There is a corollary to the meme that software eats the world, which is that the competent information worker cannibalizes any utility that an incompetent one has, the latter of which is presently the overwhelming example, exceeding even the prevalent percentile of effective innumeracy amongst software engineers that continues to hold back the profession with respect to the latency between current research truths and actual industrial practices which largely tread water rather than reflecting competent work flows that are data rather than inertia driven. A similar emergent behavior is why anyone who is not numerate is an incompetent manager and axiomatically an organizational parasite that must be driven out or eradicated with unflinching haste and fanaticism; doing otherwise is the cause of every societal problem without exception and it is relatedly why the yes men are the true evil actors in history, not the Hitler archetypes as is commonly claimed, the truth of this is made evident through the Nuremberg trials and social awareness of who truly enables such agents to succeed. It is counterfactual to claim anyone can make progress with respect to their goals at any point in history without also making use of intermediate actors along the way, mathematically this is demonstrated by the mere fact that any one person is limited to a finite, typically singular APM, even when making use of asynchrony, the capacity to perform sufficient actions to overcome inertia is impossible and the rare black swan events which enable tremendously fast social changes and golden ages require without exception other people to successfully achieve some end. To wit, the Randist fuck wits are without exceptional, axiomatically retarded and can be dismissed out of hand, further they are a prime example of aforementioned parasites and people which enable their sophistry to succeed aka yes men must be avoided without exception and driven out of all organizations regardless of circumstance. This is but one example, observation and reflection reveals numerous others, the identification of them is tremendously useful practice for guarding against confidence men; further, it is then demonstrated as counterfactual that the median person is good, in fact, universally it is the case that all people are evil, assuming we adopt a moral framework for such, doing so is revealed through a reduction ad absurdum argument as being a failed state, recognition of which, rather than subjecting society and its entities to nihilism or an existential crisis, and resulting in an ability to result in consensus to indeterminism or metaphysics, both of which result in pragmatic absence, instead to recasting or projecting the state to one that is determinate, that such is also axiomatic and thereby a law, effectively cuts the gordian knot which for strictly millenia has prevented irrefutable recognition of philosophical pragmatism as a sherpa for strictly every circumstance, resolving amoral utilitarianism to a paragon framework without circumstantial inapplicability, the absence of which in other designs has been recognized as impossible to achieve from the 20th century and onwards and a state which finally has resolution without requiring complete system knowledge to make rational use of.

Quote Originally Posted by Ackar View Post
    Well, the copyright MAFIAA was able to get a piracy tax added on to blank media sales due to potential piracy. It shouldn't be long before a tax shows up for 3D printer medias...
    I am doubtful of this, even if it does occur its actual capacity to achieve its designs will be zero; the reason being, for not only this reason but many others that have emerged, developers and designers already are encouraged to only publish under anonymity, it is counterfactual to claim that this is impossible to do, in fact it is already possible, not just theoretically, however at present it is esoteric with respect to how to achieve this and has a significant barrier to entry as well as associated transaction cost in doing so; fortunately this is actually resolvable as demonstrated by systems that are consumer facing and resolve an aspect of this as a whole. I expect useful curated information sources to also follow this trend, by which I mean the authors and editors will work ignorant of even their own peers, instead identified by a public key associated with an anonymous agent used for signing, revoking such will effectively kill them from the point of view of hostile agents and actors; an example of this is how development on TrueCrypt worked to a large extent and Bitcoin and The Silk Road. At present even it is tremendously precarious to participate in the commons otherwise; there is no reason to believe that will not continue to propagate and worsen, it is too rational and worthwhile for state actors as well as cartels to not pursue this. An example is DMCA takedowns resulting in the Chilling Effect, something which is entirely subvertible by publishing through other channels irrespective of effort to subjugate authors. An ironic side effect of the SCOTUS affirming software as not only copyrightable as has already done so but APIs also being copyrightable is that anything that is not GPL or another copyleft license is too dangerous to work on due or use in production because of the expense associated with lawsuits and take downs making doing otherwise an irrational move; it also promotes using trade secrets over publication, which coupled with tragic missteps in the past will actually regress industrial progress within the US, and within a decade make the US irrelevant for engineering, and as a result China will eclipse the EU and the US in engineering and own all markets. In the context of ubiquitous 3D printing of organic and inorganic material and the singularity any immaterial domain not derived from such is no longer relevant to society, which is why the US not retraining everyone to participate in such domains NOW and having replaced its energy infrastructure with nuclear decades ago incompetent.
    Last edited by MI Redeux; January 18th, 2015 at 01:28 AM.

All hat & no cattle

Sign of a true crazy - No paragraphs, no sense and a surefire reference to Nazis somewhere in there :-)

No prison can hold me!

Paragraphs, MI. No way in hell am I reading your wall of text without them.
    ------------------------------------------
    I *AM* the Chinpokomon master!

Formerly: Baelan Shadowbane
    Mad Vizier
    Devil Dog

Quote Originally Posted by Schezar View Post
    Paragraphs, MI. No way in hell am I reading your wall of text without them.
    Paragraphs are for lesser creatures

"With your shield, or on it"

Elder Arcanist

This was made with a 3D printer, according to the article...

http://kotaku.com/wow-thats-a-large-...ure-1714865539

Quote Originally Posted by Ninetoes View Post
    Paragraphs are for lesser creatures
    This is actually not my issue. It is true that what I said about it being an active filter for audience but it is not the actual motivation behind it, and that comment is simply an observation I had about what people chugged through the text and ones who did not. In truth, there is no motivation, it is simply what happens given the tractable and intractable constraints I am writing under, and the solution to this problem is not to force everyone to adopt an aesthetically pleasable style but to ship tools that automatically reflow how the information is presented according to how the listener wishes to consume it or alternatively in accordance with what medium makes the information most effectively communicated which may have a slightly different form than what the individual wants in reality. I've changed my style of writing on this board somewhat in response to all the demand for change by my citizens whom I am the benevolent dictotor for i.e. Caesar. It is what it is etc. As an aside, it is really surprising to me how much you all whined about it instead of arriving at a solution to it, many of which are readily available through browser extensions. The directly related but much harder problem is actually an incredibly cool area of research atm that I won't say your constant bitching has not motivated me to work on more. So, good job on making my skills even awesomer Le Internet.

Last edited by MI Redeux; July 1st, 2015 at 10:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ackar View Post
    This was made with a 3D printer, according to the article...

http://kotaku.com/wow-thats-a-large-...ure-1714865539
    I wonder how thick it is. I am doubting solid so likely 5mm or a whole cm.

Quote Originally Posted by FilanFyretracker View Post
    I wonder how thick it is. I am doubting solid so likely 5mm or a whole cm.
    What is "it" here?

Quote Originally Posted by MI Redeux View Post
    What is "it" here?
    I am guessing you did not click the link?

its a life size anime girl statue. that was printed.
    "When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    — Jerry Seinfeld

Quote Originally Posted by FilanFyretracker View Post
    I am guessing you did not click the link?

its a life size anime girl statue. that was printed.
    I did, I could not decide what you were referring to in the figure though as assuming you are thinking it is hollow that would be a weird design decision given how inexpensive 3D printing materials are. The expensive part is the actual 3D Printer and configuration once it arrives. Stay cool!

Mass and ability to move the thing are important too. Its something that is moved between conventions so it would have to be light. Most statues are hollow too unless carved from something but anything molded is hollow to conserve weight and material.
    "When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    — Jerry Seinfeld

Landed a contract implementing the low level details of a new 3D printer recently. It's fucking tight. No idea why they went with us though to be honest as it is a not something we have done before for an external company. Thought it was not going to happen because after the first meeting they had not gotten back to us in around a month then contacted us out of nowhere and everything got wrapped up very quickly and it is one of the worst meetings I have ever had as they were basically unreadable and I had to bring all the energy to the room.

Surprisingly while the mechanical engineering side of the 3D printer is pretty fucking complex, the control systems side is pretty straight forward compared to other systems I've worked on and does not require any real wizard level shit. I'm pretty hyped and been busting ass on it. So far I have discovered that, tooling for these systems is extremely nonstandardized and filled with loads of proprietary shit that has janky interfaces that are dubiously well maintained and a maddening sprawl. So, linking up different systems is overly complicated.

At least the very low level shit is mature though. I probably should have dragged more ass on early components though as it may set up unreasonable expectations for later turnaround times.

I cannot tell you how fucking bored I had gotten with other domains I've been working on though and more or less burnt out on to the point of considering retiring and becoming a janitor and/or exiting forever, so this is a good change of pace. Mainly I was extremely tired of all the childish, unproductive behavior that was ongoing that was soul draining and turning something amazing into a total shit show. And this is probably a better pivot than doing a 360 moonwalk away while giving everyone the bird and telling them to fuck off. :P

The company is fucking tight too, and not all the way up their own assholes which is rare. So far they have been a joy to work with and clearly have their shit together with their communications. We will see how this pans out. So far the general social strategy of carpet bombing everything and putting the onus on the other party to say no works out unreasonably well compared to being to letting existential concerns lead to weakness. Definitely going to help develop another area I want to get built up and the actual reason I bothered changing fields (to raise funding for implementing solutions to problems I could not reasonably do single handedly but the labor for these problems are very fucking expensive) caveat an unpredictable fall out occurs.
    Last edited by MI Redeux; October 26th, 2015 at 09:56 AM.

One of the mechanical engineering guys there though is from Africa and apparently US culture has not made its way into Africa has he does not get ANY of my jokes. He's not autistic or anything but they don't register at all, which is funny. The chinese guys know more of US pop culture than I do though. It's a strange dichotomy. They are insanely enthusiastic about letting me know how many references they know. They would probably dominate at bar trivia. I would probably work there for free if the US had a basic income system in place and I would not starve to death.

Bitcoin forex continues to pay off despite everyone claiming I am retarded for doing that. WHAT NOW MOTHERFUCKERS! A currency more resilent than anything else on the planet, resilent to even the kind of attack (that is totally implausible) on Mr. Robot, and immune from government interference that prevented funding for projects they get butthurt over. Blow me.
    Last edited by MI Redeux; November 5th, 2015 at 02:32 AM.