Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Smart Phones

Systems Administrator
    Blog Entries

Re: Smart Phones

Anyone picking up a phone soon should pick up the Moto X (2014) if they need LTE, or the Moto G (2014) if they don't need LTE or the other top end features.

hella Star-Demon :3

Picked up the Samsung Galaxy S5 last week whilst waiting on my 128GB iPhone 6 Plus to arrive, and I fucking love the SD card slot. I can cycle cards as I want, the camera is very nice, and I can swap the battery out, in effect the S5 is the only phone made for the real world in non-ideal conditions. The S5 is a phone we can take anywhere on the planet and extract significant utility from in any condition and that is fantastic. A lot of hiking trails etc. simply do not have any connectivity and completely disregarding other design trade offs, that entails that devices which do not have a SD card slot and are entirely reliant on the "cloud" are simply not made for anything other than city life.

Samsung continues to impress me with their hardware engineering, I just wish they would develop or utilize greater expertise in the context of the operating system, and ideally integrate that with a system well. In the context of engineering, Samsung could make a killer platform for software and hardware development were it to integrate tightly with Linux or Windows 7 in the same way that iOS is very well married to OS X; the software side is the only drawback here, with more improvements on the OS side of things, Samsung could own all the markets, which would be awesome.

I'll see how the camera compares to the 6+'s in the real world whenever it arrives, I think they should be close as it is quite nice already. I see more and more women using Samsung devices, previously it was ubiquitously iOS devices, so that is very interesting.

Samsung is the greatest oddity in the Smartphone market, Their arch enemy is Apple by far and yet Apple wholly depends on Samsung for iDevices to even exist. Most of the chips used in them and many of the displays if not made by LG come from Samsung for Apple hardware.

I have a Galaxy S3 right now and I do have an upgrade available on my cell service but so far I think I am holding off to see what comes out. Id imagine a Galaxy S6 is in the pipe soon and I am hearing good things from the world of Motorola.

I think Apple has done some harm to the smartphone world though in that they have made it more and more acceptable to leave out the SD slot.

Android devices have another advantage in my opinion over iPhones, They all can share chargers. There is none of this proprietary bullshit Apple pulls. As long as the brick end that the micro USB is plugged into can supply the current it can charge the phone. I am guessing the big USB change for Android devices will be the eventual shift to microUSB3.
    "When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    — Jerry Seinfeld

Forum Sorcerer

Quote Originally Posted by FilanFyretracker View Post
    Samsung is the greatest oddity in the Smartphone market, Their arch enemy is Apple by far and yet Apple wholly depends on Samsung for iDevices to even exist. Most of the chips used in them and many of the displays if not made by LG come from Samsung for Apple hardware.

I have a Galaxy S3 right now and I do have an upgrade available on my cell service but so far I think I am holding off to see what comes out. Id imagine a Galaxy S6 is in the pipe soon and I am hearing good things from the world of Motorola.

I think Apple has done some harm to the smartphone world though in that they have made it more and more acceptable to leave out the SD slot.

Android devices have another advantage in my opinion over iPhones, They all can share chargers. There is none of this proprietary bullshit Apple pulls. As long as the brick end that the micro USB is plugged into can supply the current it can charge the phone. I am guessing the big USB change for Android devices will be the eventual shift to microUSB3.
    The S5 already has a micro-usb3 port - it just happens to be backwards-compatable with micro-usb. Not sure if it charges any quicker (its a lot quicker than my S3 at chargin despite being a far higher capacity battery

Formerly: Baelan Shadowbane
    Mad Vizier
    Devil Dog

Yes, it charges faster (Just got an S5 as part of changing our data plan with Sprint)

"With your shield, or on it"

Well, I've had my iPhone 6+ for a few days now, and imo it is the best designed consumer good I have ever seen to date, very comparable to how impressed I am by the Kindle Paperwhite 2, which is the only item more brilliantly executed.

The S5 is better designed hardware wise, aside from the iPhone's motion coprocessor and security chip, with a much better case material choice. The 6+ is the most slippery as fuck phone I have ever held, even with two hands on it and dryish hands it wants to slip away with any movement.

With a silicone case or some other kind of case that adds a rough texture to the surface though it is not an issue; the protuding camera is not a big deal even without a case.

However, where the iPhone 6+ wins out on the S5 is with iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite.

Every aspect of the hardware/software interface and Apple's ecosystem is completely fluid in a way I had not even imagined; iOS's end user control and security features is comparably leagues ahead, despite Android being more than capable of achieving superior security, Linux even has the requisite features in the kernel to do so out of the box, Google has just chosen to have a fucktarded UI/implementation of them instead of copy and pasting how Apple does this.

As an "expert" user, which basically just means someone who makes an effort to read docs and observe how things work with the device, everything is very clear, which is not all that surprising, even terrible systems are clear if enough effort is put into them, but what is incredible about the way iOS's security features and other workflow impacting features is implemented is that even to me very manual adverse relationships understand and appreciate them, and actually use them; TouchID alone greatly improves their experience, and the health aspects have as well. It has helped my grandmother make sure she gets enough exercise in a day, and keep up with her very busy schedule elsewhere, essentially it is a device which positively impacts all physical aspects of a person's life.

iOS 8's app security is even more fine grained and very intuitive and accessible to even nascent users; the main thing with iOS 8 that I do not like is that still Spotlight's search does not search within System Preference headers like it does on OS X, the effect being that finding out where the fuck a particular setting is requires crawling through increasingly numerous contexts, which is a bit of a headache for everyone.

That people like my grandmother get how the fluidity with Yosemite and iOS 8 works and actually use them is an incredible feat.

And for those willing to put in some more effort, there are features which enable even more powerful workflows.

Compared to my iPhone 5, the 6+'s home button takes much less force to depress, which as I have bitch hands is nice, previously the home button's double tapping was immensely uncomfortable; I like how much bigger the side buttons are now as well, they were okay in the past but this is nicer in practice.

The 6+ is very comfortable for myself when using two hands, which is usable most of the time, with one handed usage it is rather undelightful and sometimes results in spider hand chords, such as when taking a picture with one hand and pressing the take picture button, if the side buttons are used instead it is np though.

Unless you have deep and narrow pockets though, if no rough textured case is used the phone likes to try and sneak out, which is why I think the very brushed aluminum is not very smart despite how aesthetically pleasing it is and some minor thermal benefits; it is super slippery as I mentioned.

On the developer side, extensions has made information sharing orders of magnitude easier compared to the situation prior to extensions, which was a complete clusterfuck, managing to be even more absurd than how OS X, Windows, and Linux app's work together.

As literally everytime I have made the assertion that the way IPC is implemented on desktop OS's is quite likely the most incompetent way to implement it and I get flamed to oblivion despite that being demonstrated for 30+ years, it is nice to be vindicated as people get to experience how much better this design is, hopefully this encourages desktop OS's to elevate their game dramatically and system utility's like Automator become more useful and clear in their workflows to more people; that apps are not designed in a network transparent manner in 2014, despite that tech being obviously better since the 1980s, is completely retarded. Seeing NIH syndrome result in kdbus being utilized as a replacement for the horridly fucktarded dbus rather than 9P2000 pains my soul, worse the utility to utilize that effectively already exists on the platform, but inertia and NIH syndrome rules all as is nearly always the case unless one funnels truck loads of cash into a custom design that has no hope of reaching critical mass.

Ideally, different factions would lean on one another better, but c'est le vie; there was a dream that was Linux.

There are some utilities that demonstrate how this concept can be extended to Internet servics that would make a great deal of sense to integrate within the internal designs.

I very much wish that the sophisticated and very well done synergy between OS X Yosemite and iOS 8 would carry over to future AppleTV utility though, making the entire ecosystem coherent; mainly for myself this would mean never having to redo legwork in setting up watching shows on my AppleTV and then later my iPhone or Macbook Air, granted that is an exceptionally small gain but it is minutely tiresome to encounter.

Anyways, to summarize the gist, the S5 has better, more well thought out hardware design, aside from the camera where the iPhone 6/6+ has a minor but not super significant edge, but until Samsung forks Android I do not expect Samsung to be able to reach the sophistication and utility present with iOS; all things being equal though the S5 would be a clear choice though. That is the only aspect of the experience that the iPhone 6+ wins out on, but as that experience is the overwhelming amount of time spent by a user that is a pretty significant difference.

I would love,love, love for Android to copy and paste some aspects of iOS though, until then though I'll keep using a couple of cell phones to have at hand.

I am sure they would love to copy and paste things from iOS and I am sure Apple would love to take things from Android but these two get into patent fights over the fucking shape of icons.
    "When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    — Jerry Seinfeld

I am sure they would love to copy and paste things from iOS and I am sure Apple would love to take things from Android but these two get into patent fights over the fucking shape of icons.
    Eh, nice though about software is that rarely are implementations necessarily isomorphic, so it is not hard to not violate a patent, now whether the judges are clued in enough to realize what the lawyers are saying is a different matter. Android already has copied huge swathes of iOS so it is not a big deal other than fan boys jerking off over what team is better.

iOS's implementation largely just rips off AmigaOS for instance if the patent violation merely required similarity.

I think these Phablet sizes are exactly the right size. It is just big enough to be perfect for reading comics enjoyably, fits in a big pocket/purse easily, and removes any need for a full size tablet. So now I just carry my Kindle Paperwhite, iPhone 6+ or S5, and my MBA around instead of also having an iPad/Nexus 7/10. It's pretty nice and instead of just being able to read books I can also read comics now without dickery involved. And the S5, because it is a more open platform and hackers are 25/8 fuck the police, it makes for a great portable gaming device with an external controller, removing the need for carrying a DS around. This is a prime example of the benefits of enabling end users to maximize creativity, despite most of the planet disagreeing with me on this front continually, and an enormous reason to refuse wants for copyrights entirely with information. Reading magazines on it is okayish, not as nice as a 7/10 tablet, but sufficient to make the trade off worthwhile. I may pick up an Indiana Jones/Gandalf/Bilbo style satchel if I see one that looks decent/well constructed.
    Last edited by MI Redeux; October 2nd, 2014 at 11:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MI Redeux View Post
    Eh, nice though about software is that rarely are implementations necessarily isomorphic, so it is not hard to not violate a patent, now whether the judges are clued in enough to realize what the lawyers are saying is a different matter. Android already has copied huge swathes of iOS so it is not a big deal other than fan boys jerking off over what team is better.
    Judges will never be clued in, Technology will always move faster than the speed of law. And I am sure iOS has copied large swaths of Android.

Android will never achieve the ecosystem thing though, Honestly an iDevice user running windows never sees much of it either though because Windows iTunes is a terrible program.

Either way I just hope for a day when we get mobile devices that you dock a phone into and use like a laptop that have a BFB(Big Fucking Battery), high gain antennas to give a better signal and an amp to boost your outgoing signal(honestly when you no longer have it pressed against your head a few watts of power is no longer a risk), Possibly even coprocessing of some kind to augment what the mobile device has and of course encrypted storage with either password or device lock options(or both).

What I mean by that last bit is password would be any compatible device would just demand a password. device lock would mean the key would somehow be generated based on your device. This means that even if someone got the base station they could never access the data.

basically call it a LapDock a sort of midway point between mobile device and laptop. But the most important features are the BFB and enhanced reception/transmission.

Hell lets not stop there and make "LapDock" some form of open standard, Not just apply it to a laptop like device(though that is a good entry point to the market)... Extend it to things like projectors. Traveling agent needs to do some presenting, they hook or pair their mobile device to the LapDock cradle in the conference room and using a bluetooth remote control their mobile power point. Desktop systems and cars would also be good. Desktop systems could even be designed to have co-processing in mind to augment what is already available to the phone.

But I am rambling since its late.

LapDock
    -Open Standard(not fixed to a specific OS)
    -BFB as an option(Big Fucking Battery, Charge the phone or at a minimum a full 24hrs of active computing. Though have multiple Batt options as not everybody needs the full BFB)
    -High power radio(Augment the on board system of the phone with an amp to let it talk to a tower with higher potential power when needed, and high gain antenna to let it get weaker signals.)
    -On board encrypted storage(id even go as far as to say give the ability to erase it without the phone being docked, But have a method to protect from accidental erase to prevent support calls)
    -Power supply kits available for 12v from mobile such as car or airplanes, solar cells, standard outlets in buildings or trains.
    — Jerry Seinfeld

I don't agree at all about the ecosystem. In fact, Google largely has this in place already, the only thing missing is a real desktop OS; Google's Chrome OS is nice, and Android is even nicer, but they will always be specialized toys/communications only devices, so Google is missing the workstation OS component to control an entire ecosystem; because of latency, going the thin client route will always be suboptimal unless Google figures out how to break laws of nature. Android could be really, really exceptional but Google's advertising business is at odds with executing a perfect OS for users.

Meanwhile, Samsung has sufficient resources to execute a well done OS and ecosystem, backed by a lot of R&D a la circa 1960 Bell Labs, but they are exclusively staying on the hardware side and largely being abysmal at user facing software for whatever reason. Imagine an Inferno OS or Plan 9 type OS/user space, built upon Linux and transparently transformed an entire ecosystem's information being utilized, instead of having to write a new app for each context. It would be tremendously fluid and unify all their products, from their TVs to their phones, etc. The kind of design necessary for this is even common for the tools the workers use when developing hardware/verification, so it would not be foreign to their thinking entirely. No company is presently thinking in these terms, Apple is the closest but has largely left the upper echelon of the desktop OS necessary to achieve this stagnated, an example being with how restricted iWorks has become since moving to the browser compared to its much more powerful predecessor; and their are copyright/proprietary motivated restrictions/strange designs elsewhere that take away from it. A prime example of this is how iTunes is increasingly a clusterfuck on OS X with numerous very significant bugs that are common to run into, restrictions placed on DTrace, which is a phenomenal tool but minutely hamstrung on OS X when applied to some of Apple's software, hostility towards GDB being applied to some of the software etc., again all copyright/trade secret motivated.

Back to the ecosystem, MS had years advantage on integrating all of its products into a fluid ecosystem like Apple has mostly arrived at now and Google increasingly approaches, but they never did so; it would have completely sewn up any competitor's ability to compete as people became entirely dependent upon MS's tools which uniquely interoperate with its many devices, from the media center, workstation, communication devices, network abstractions, media players, and MS also had many fingers in the embedded industrial context as well. Really, they were exceptionally positioned to implement the concept I outlined for Samsung, but completely wasted that opportunity, and even now are very disjointed with their product line.

The LapDock concept you mention has been tried a few times and was decently well done, it would make a lot of sense in the context of the phablets, main restriction here holding it back is video resources on the phablet being able to render a high res screen with minimal latency well, and battery technology improving orders of magnitude. In terms of how to achieve what you describe now, the most accessible way would be to use a laptop connected to an external monitor, or just a system like with the MS Surface complemented by a MS phone for the wireless connectivity; the limiting factor here though is battery technology again, and less proportionately significant cooling the tablet hardware. Another idea is to do the phablet + barebones workstation with thunderbolt ports exposed to the phablet, it is not too ludicrous to package a very powerful workstation in a non-traditional way for this purpose so it was easy to transport without parts becoming disconnected during movement; it would not be too absurd to have a micro powerplant that is transportable for our power purposes to overcome battery tech being restrictive.

On the thunderbolt ports, the reason I mention that is we can already augment our GPU resources by attaching an external video card over thunderbolt which would allow us to power a very high res device without permanently making our phablet huge. Thunderbolt's really a very impressive, very useful tech that manufacturers outside of Apple are not taking advantage of, one reason I read is that Intel's and Apple's licensing cost is perceived as being too high in the context of razor thin hardware margins with PCs. Thunderbolt is perfect for this application here as we can daisy chain them,"A single Thunderbolt port supports up to six Thunderbolt devices via hubs or daisy chains; as many of these as the host has DP sources may be Thunderbolt monitors" and overcome the case that phablet GPUs are shit.

Sony semi released this straight away even,"However, in July 2011 Sony released its Vaio Z21 line of laptop with a "Power Media Dock" that uses the optical iteration of Thunderbolt (Light Peak) to connect to an external graphics card using a combination port that behaves like USB electrically but also includes the optical interconnect required for Thunderbolt. Other implementations of the technology have begun in 2012, with desktop boards offering the interconnect now available."

IDK who would make a higher end version of this to better realize it today, but it would work decently.
    There are a lot of old Sony devices that implement the hub idea you want, I forgot what the kind of devices were called, but they were basically PDAs around the size of a small netbook or small tablet, around 8" or so, and they had a hub to connect to for more ports. The Thinkpad line had this ability as well for notebooks, still do even, and some Dell notebooks can as well. There are probably loads more cases applicable.

I imagine the US military has exactly what we are talking about somewhere, complete with a portable, micro power plant to boot. On the password/lock front, that is essentially how Apple's secure bank works for TouchID.

MS could have built an ecosystem that Apple could never have touched period because MS has all the parts for an ecosystem already made and in many homes. They may not have the flashy of Apple but they have the talent, IMO they have more talent than Apple too. But they have poor management, Then again Apple had shit management for awhile too. it would be just another dead and forgotten tech company if They had never brought Steve Jobs back in the late 90s... the focus on consumer devices and the shift to Intel processors while causing tons of hate from Early days Apple purists, Ultimately saved the company from fading to black as a computer company only remembered for graphic arts and the first computer any kid in the 1980s played Oregon Trail on.

I think a big issue at MS is they are basically two companies, A moderately cared for consumer software company and a hugely profitable enterprise software and services licensing firm.
    — Jerry Seinfeld

MS could have built an ecosystem that Apple could never have touched period because MS has all the parts for an ecosystem already made and in many homes. They may not have the flashy of Apple but they have the talent, IMO they have more talent than Apple too. But they have poor management, Then again Apple had shit management for awhile too. it would be just another dead and forgotten tech company if They had never brought Steve Jobs back in the late 90s... the focus on consumer devices and the shift to Intel processors while causing tons of hate from Early days Apple purists, Ultimately saved the company from fading to black as a computer company only remembered for graphic arts and the first computer any kid in the 1980s played Oregon Trail on.

I think a big issue at MS is they are basically two companies, A moderately cared for consumer software company and a hugely profitable enterprise software and services licensing firm.
    I definitely agree it is 1000% management fucking up the program. Comparing talent is pointless as both are elite companies that can buy whatever talent they want. With MS having gods like Simon Peyton Jones on hand, their talent is unquestionable, and the numerous stories decrying how managerial policy ensures talent leaves rather than being empowered gives us reason to believe it is the case. I had hope that MS would unfuck itself, but as the new CEO's first order of business was dismantling MS's best division, its R&D labs, things will only continue to get worse until MS is as unspectacular as Oracle and Yahoo. RE: ecosystem, Apple has actually achieved what we are discussing, which is bizarre for reasons you mention and also that it was literally a decade or more later in being able to actually pull all of this together compared to MS. It was so painstakingly obvious how to achieve this in MS's case too, that they fucked it up so badly is notable. Google's management is at least not up its own ass, so things will likely come together there as well.

Also, yeah, Apple has copied a lot of Android's UI concepts as well, which is good and how things should work, and would work with as much efficacy as we see literally everywhere else in the universe, introspectively with all human interactions, but inexplicably and stupefyingly, the esteemed wigs of the US decided that the last step in those interactions uniquely deserves being mute, even without a realized product, and most recently, despite being to the detriment of literally every actual creator and every actual employer there of, and despite wasting the capital of such people to upwards of 40+% of some budgets, which otherwise would have gone to non-destructive applications, has decided that parasitical relationships should be rewarded, and that the energy put in by said parasite not only deserves effective legal immunity, but also deserves rewarding at orders of magnitudes its inverse, and more concretely rewarding a small fraction of people whom have absolutely nothing to do with the realization or development of any good in existence ever, which can only be described in total as promoting sociopathic behavior, the promoters in this case being the very people who are entrusted with and purposed for protecting against such entities, to wit I applaud with immense enthusiasm the handful of nations which have eschewed engaging in the observed idiocy and instead choosing to reward and promote those who actually contribute to progress rather than at its maxim realizing a failed, regressive state.

Content owners are also stifling innovation. It is them who makes us have to jump through hoops to have video anywhere, Honestly outside of the challenges of pitiful caps on wireless, it should not matter where a user is anywhere period. Philly, LA, Miami, Monaco, Mars.... if you can get a connection you should be able to consume content from anywhere on any device without special restrictions.

*Mars is a stretch I know that, 11-30 minute latency to Earth and all...
    — Jerry Seinfeld

Quote Originally Posted by MI Redeux View Post
    I definitely agree it is 1000% management fucking up the program. Comparing talent is pointless as both are elite companies that can buy whatever talent they want. With MS having gods like Simon Peyton Jones on hand, their talent is unquestionable, and the numerous stories decrying how managerial policy ensures talent leaves rather than being empowered gives us reason to believe it is the case. I had hope that MS would unfuck itself, but as the new CEO's first order of business was dismantling MS's best division, its R&D labs, things will only continue to get worse until MS is as unspectacular as Oracle and Yahoo. RE: ecosystem, Apple has actually achieved what we are discussing, which is bizarre for reasons you mention and also that it was literally a decade or more later in being able to actually pull all of this together compared to MS. It was so painstakingly obvious how to achieve this in MS's case too, that they fucked it up so badly is notable. Google's management is at least not up its own ass, so things will likely come together there as well.
    Oh even more Ecosystem I would have done if I ran MS. I would have built a total setup that fully integrated the PCs, the phones, tablets, and Xbox... And network routers.

Why network routers? Simple... Today even Windows8 you login by default setup with your MS account... You login to your Windows Phone with an MS account, and Xbox, etc etc

In today's world of questionable hotspots my grand idea is simple, First off any device from the ecosystem would establish an SSL or better connection to the MS servers. And then a button would light up when not behind the MS router called "Take me home" or "Connect from Home" what this would do is at the push of a button it would setup a VPN to your home router.

And any device from the ecosystem could do this, from a PC to an Xbox. Now it would certainly harm gaming on the Xbox but for everything else it would mean you would be tunneled to a trusted connection.

Actually... Apple sells routers I am surprised they have not found a way to securely offer this.

Hmm is there something patentable here? Maybe I should hit while the iron is hot...
    — Jerry Seinfeld

Elder Arcanist

I've avoided getting a smart phone and my current phone is 8 years old. Reading through this thread makes me realize I'm going to have technology shock.

Systems Administrator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    I've avoided getting a smart phone and my current phone is 8 years old. Reading through this thread makes me realize I'm going to have technology shock.
    Get a Moto G 2014. It's cheap, and has everything you need except raw power in everything. Camera? It's okay. CPU? It's okay. Ram? Okay. Build Quality? Amazing. Software bloat? None.

If you're trying to jump into the top end devices, that's the only time you should see actual arguments.
    "Complaining is the modern metagame" - BNet forums

Elder Arcanist

Quote Originally Posted by Nadiar View Post
    Get a Moto G 2014. It's cheap, and has everything you need except raw power in everything. Camera? It's okay. CPU? It's okay. Ram? Okay. Build Quality? Amazing. Software bloat? None.

If you're trying to jump into the top end devices, that's the only time you should see actual arguments.
    Thanks for the heads up. I'm definitely not looking for anything top end at all. A friend asked me what I wanted to do and I said, "call, text, camera, gps, and the occasional web use" – he basically said, "get an iphone 5."