hella Star-Demon :3

Re: Smart Phones

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    Curious what your plan details are.
    sprint

Quote Originally Posted by Nadiar View Post
    Get a Moto G LTE, or wait for the new moto coming out in a few months.

Everyone whines that the stats aren't as good, but if you compare, its clearly faster at doing everything than the Samsung phones.
    What is real-world battery life like while actually using it?

Get a Moto G LTE, or wait for the new moto coming out in a few months.

Everyone whines that the stats aren't as good, but if you compare, its clearly faster at doing everything than the Samsung phones.
    Hows the radio on the motos lately? I tend to be in weak signal areas and I am wondering which android phones have the best radios.

Systems Administrator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FilanFyretracker View Post
    Hows the radio on the motos lately? I tend to be in weak signal areas and I am wondering which android phones have the best radios.
    It's really impossible to tell. "Weak signal" can mean a large number of things, which some radios may be better at resolving than others. Moto has been doing a free 60 day trial of their phones lately, but they keep instantly selling out of them.
    "Complaining is the modern metagame" - BNet forums

In my case I think its the structure of the building combined with the distance of the tower. South NJ is rather flat however so once outside the signal is nice and strong.

Mostly asking because I am about ready for an upgrade, And trying to decide if I should upgrade my Galaxy S3 or wait another generation or two. I mean so far it works quite well though.

I do hear Motos are still good phones, I mean my first encounter with Android was a DroidX and it worked great. Honestly I miss its desktop docking station.
    "When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    — Jerry Seinfeld

I want a motherfucking phone with a SD card and a battery that lasts > 24 hours while watching video. I don't care if it is a brick. Back in my day cell phones were thick and usable as improvised blunt weapons. The current phones are so thin that they are like holding a razor blade in ones hand, have shit battery life and optimize for all the wrong things. I'll be glad when/if the Neo900 arrives with battery hot swapping, innovating in a flat circle as is the wont of computing at present and always.

That's the main thing I don't like about how Apple solders everything in place nowadays such that it is not repairable (I don't care about this aspect much) but that also the batteries cannot be hot swapped, something which would be especially useful in the next iPhone iteration where its utility will be massively increased in the context of mobile PC workflow.

Systems Administrator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MI Redeux View Post
    I want a motherfucking phone with a SD card and a battery that lasts > 24 hours while watching video. I don't care if it is a brick. Back in my day cell phones were thick and usable as improvised blunt weapons. The current phones are so thin that they are like holding a razor blade in ones hand, have shit battery life and optimize for all the wrong things. I'll be glad when/if the Neo900 arrives with battery hot swapping, innovating in a flat circle as is the wont of computing at present and always.
    I don't think you actually want an SD card. Using it automatically makes your device slower and battery life worse, when instead you can just get an OTG cable and a compact Flash, and just use an app to copy directories in/out.

There should be another Motorola Maxx coming out this year, and since it doesn't have the Droid moniker on this one, I'm hoping it isn't locked to Verizon. Since the Moto X easily lasts 24 hours, I'm hoping the new Maxx can easily last 48 hours and is available for GSM networks.
    "Complaining is the modern metagame" - BNet forums

Interesting. I never pondered that perhaps SD Card could diminish battery longevity.

About a month ago, now I decided to go out and purchase a Kyocera Hydro Vibe. My brother-in-law has the Torque, and I found it rather impressive for our same line of work (takes alot of abuse, flexible screen, very powerful water resistance/proof)

My wife has a crummy Kyocera, but his is decent. I figured, for once in my life, I'd step away from my comfort I've previously found only in Samsung.

I have to say, I'm quite impressed by the phone. It doesn't have anywhere near the great battery life my previous phone did, but every time that previous phone got wet, it just fucked up like a nutcase without ritalin, making the most annoying beeps in a non-stop stream-like whine.

This Kyocera Hydro Vibe might give me 2 hours of life if I keep it on its brightest setting, unplugged, while watching a movie at 4gLTE over netflix.

Because I simply do not use it for that, I keep data, wifi, bluetooth, etc turned off unless i'm actually using them. There is a very handy and cleverly designed widget in the phone that allows me to do so without having to root it or any of that silliness. It is single click buttons that work swiftly. Some people find that a waste of time, but I really don't. I get upset when I forget to turn them back off after I am done doing what I am doing, but I've found that if I get up at 6am, read webpages relevant to my day while showering (yes, water resistance has its major fortes), turn off wifi while in the truck to work, and data enabled to listen to pandora, I can go the rest of my work day occasionally turning on wifi when I need it, and leave data off, and still send and receive about 20 text messages and maybe 5 or 6 phone calls, and stilll have about 25% battery life by the time I get home at 6 after listening to Pandora during the hour drive home.

As I said before, It is nowhere near my previous phone's battery life, but I tell you what, at least it is manageable. It is also PMA (proprietary charging pad) enabled. I'm not sure if that works with the case that I have around it. I might consider getting a charging pad for work, and one for home if it works with the case, just so that when I walk into the shop for various things I can drop it on there, and then when i get home, I can do so as well, instead of all the silliness of grabbing the USB wires and making sure its in right, blah blah.

I don't think you actually want an SD card. Using it automatically makes your device slower and battery life worse, when instead you can just get an OTG cable and a compact Flash, and just use an app to copy directories in/out.

There should be another Motorola Maxx coming out this year, and since it doesn't have the Droid moniker on this one, I'm hoping it isn't locked to Verizon. Since the Moto X easily lasts 24 hours, I'm hoping the new Maxx can easily last 48 hours and is available for GSM networks.
    Well, lately I have found them extremely useful on my Macbook Air in lieu of using more network storage. What is nice about them and my primary use for them is having multiple Virtual Machines installed on the cards that I do not need to use frequently but are nice to have sometimes. The power draw of cards is not very high, but as you mention does have some power draw. The main thing I like about about the SD card for one use case is that they can be put into a read only mode. In the context of smart phones though, I would like using them for picture, music, and video storage without having to have network access as is the case for cloud services.

This would be fucking amazing:
    , couple that with distributed hardware to complement the phone's utility (connectivity, camera, local disk access, mobility) and it would be a gangbuster's on the road workstation that fits inside of a luggage case or in the trunk/backseat of a car.

That will never ever happen, Not because we lack the technology but because the phone world lacks standards. You would certainly see that kind of device viable with Android, doubtful Apple would do it when they could just make an LTE MacBook Air and charge you 3400 bucks and then the mobile provider gains the second wireless device fees and a second chance for someone to bust their cap.
    "When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    — Jerry Seinfeld

Quote Originally Posted by FilanFyretracker View Post
    That will never ever happen, Not because we lack the technology but because the phone world lacks standards. You would certainly see that kind of device viable with Android, doubtful Apple would do it when they could just make an LTE MacBook Air and charge you 3400 bucks and then the mobile provider gains the second wireless device fees and a second chance for someone to bust their cap.
    That's achievable now (and for many years even) with Android without hackery and in iOS 8 it will be achievable with iPhone without hackery as far as making use of the phone's connectivity by making a private, personal hotspot. Using the phone as a component of a larger computer is an old idea but one that has not ever been well done; it was an impetus for Canonical's hypothetical phone a couple of years ago. I forget what the nomenclature for the type of devices was, but the idea was just that the phone would be everything except for the peripherals and with a docking station it would form an entire PC. The main limitation in the past was and still is battery life, even if we are satisfied with the performance under maximum load.
    Last edited by MI Redeux; August 6th, 2014 at 01:04 PM.

One of the main things I am hyped about in the context of the Neo900 is that it will be an excellent platform for people working on their masters/doctorates/undergraduate projects to iterate upon and test out novel ideas because of how accessible the design is. It is going to be an excellent platform for experimenting with experimental operating systems and testing and implementing experiments.

That's achievable now (and for many years even) with Android without hackery and in iOS 8 it will be achievable with iPhone without hackery as far as making use of the phone's connectivity by making a private, personal hotspot. Using the phone as a component of a larger computer is an old idea but one that has not ever been well done; it was an impetus for Canonical's hypothetical phone a couple of years ago. I forget what the nomenclature for the type of devices was, but the idea was just that the phone would be everything except for the peripherals and with a docking station it would form an entire PC. The main limitation in the past was and still is battery life, even if we are satisfied with the performance under maximum load.
    the upside is that a docking station could have a big Li-Ion battery and that would give great run time and even charge the phone. People tend not to care about the weight of docking stations so it could have a pretty good sized battery.

Another thing we need for phones is support of external antennas, A docking station could have a bigger better antenna that is more sensitive and possibly even a signal amp in the dock so that it can broadcast with much more power.
    — Jerry Seinfeld

With just bluetooth, that docking station is 100 percent possible.

Pair so many things in just the cradle being a x y and z property pressure sensitive for the handset.

Each manufacturer, samsung and asus especially, could pretty much open the entire line of their hand sets to proprietary formats.

**Edit

I recently bought a cheap 8 dollar bluetooth keyboard just for shits and giggles. I mostly got it to see if it was something worthwhile to look into. The little tiny thing that it is is nearly impossible to type on, but it is cool that it is there.

For what it is worth, Isuper exceited at the idea of getting a higher end bluetooth keyboard for typing up quick docs in google docs while on the job.

Forum Sorcerer

Recently replaced my S3 with an S5 and it is soooooo much better. The S3 had to be charged daily even with light usage - tests with the S5 have it over 15 hours on video playback, and mine is currently sitting at 50% after being on battery for 31 hours (light usage)

Quote Originally Posted by Woodja View Post
    Recently replaced my S3 with an S5 and it is soooooo much better. The S3 had to be charged daily even with light usage - tests with the S5 have it over 15 hours on video playback, and mine is currently sitting at 50% after being on battery for 31 hours (light usage)
    Damn, that is exactly what I need. In my mind anything less than 14 hours battery life with a real world work flow of continuous usage is not a mobile device, none of the iphones meet this criteria presently IME. 15 hours on video playback is legit, and I would still be able to use it as a mobile hot stop I believe, which is the main thing I am looking forward to in iOS 8. Plus the s5 has a (micro)sd slot that I want which the iphone won't ever have realistically. How is the camera in low light and high light scenarios? Is there anyway to disable the fingerprint scanner/heart rate monitor stuff? That is the main reason I did not get the iphone 5s is the fingerprint scanner, which they can fuck right off with, and is there an android fork more focused on security at least to the extent that I can revoke api call access on a per app basis? Once SBCL's android port matures the platform will be extremely fluid and even more fun, it's going to be awesome. I accidentally "killed" my iphone 5 when I blew it out with some canned air. APPARENTLY canned air was sufficient to blow out an uber tiny resistor that I cannot find anywhere and this other component who has no apparent location on the board that it should be at even after looking at the components under a microscope, but the absence of both is sufficient to have everything but the capacitive touch screen work (it displays, the touch part does not work though), which is interesting.
    Last edited by MI Redeux; September 3rd, 2014 at 08:32 PM.

Forum Sorcerer

Damn, that is exactly what I need. In my mind anything less than 14 hours battery life with a real world work flow of continuous usage is not a mobile device, none of the iphones meet this criteria presently IME. 15 hours on video playback is legit, and I would still be able to use it as a mobile hot stop I believe, which is the main thing I am looking forward to in iOS 8. Plus the s5 has a (micro)sd slot that I want which the iphone won't ever have realistically. How is the camera in low light and high light scenarios? Is there anyway to disable the fingerprint scanner/heart rate monitor stuff? That is the main reason I did not get the iphone 5s is the fingerprint scanner, which they can fuck right off with, and is there an android fork more focused on security at least to the extent that I can revoke api call access on a per app basis? Once SBCL's android port matures the platform will be extremely fluid and even more fun, it's going to be awesome. I accidentally "killed" my iphone 5 when I blew it out with some canned air. APPARENTLY canned air was sufficient to blow out an uber tiny resistor that I cannot find anywhere and this other component who has no apparent location on the board that it should be at even after looking at the components under a microscope, but the absence of both is sufficient to have everything but the capacitive touch screen work (it displays, the touch part does not work though), which is interesting.
    The finger print scanner needs to be enabled in the security settings (I have mine on to stop my son from nicking the phone) and the heart rate monitor is only enabled when you open an app that needs it (eg S Health)

Camera is much better than the S3s - better quality photos and far more responsive.

They have changed the buttons on the face of the phone itself - you have the physical button in the middle and the back button to the right, however the left hand touch button is now the app/task killer which makes things much easier to manage memory/running apps.

Not sure with the APIs as I don't dig that deeply.