Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Firefox/Chrome Extensions That You Like

hella Star-Demon :3

Re: Firefox/Chrome Extensions That You Like

On the upside, HTTPS Everywhere is no longer causing logging into Reddit to be interesting, which is exactly the only website where that extension caused any issues, and given how popular it is it is strange that it persisted for so long. #1 feature I would like at present though is if there existed a way to save all options automatically when any change in an addon to a file, that is automatically export upon any change, the idea being that I can then backup that file automatically through BitSync.

I've been having to use Chrome on Windows lately, despite FF allegedly getting better in all respects, even with a quad core i7/32GB ram/dedicated GPU system it is a lag fast due to FF not being able to use most of my ram when I have many tabs open, even when using my config tricks to make it less resource intensive. I can do the same thing on OS X or Linux with much less powerful systems with no sweat, but on Windows it is unusable for any non-trivial amount of content. It's super duper annoying as I have quite a few extensions I like on FF that have no parallel elsewhere. Chrome is not 64 bit on Windows either without using a more bleeding edge build but does not choke and die like FF does.

Anyways, I stumbled upon a Chrome extension that is pretty nice, it's Tab Outliner and has a slightly different take on the Tree Style Tabs concept.

Y39 + NinjaDuck = Doom!

Firefox is about to get multi-threaded support and 64-bit support.
    Woot
    FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC
    -"To Serve and To Protect"

"I don't trust my government, I don't trust the people who work for my government, and I believe that the evidence suggests that it's irrational to offer such trust." - Ken White

"The first 90% of the project is done, now we're working on the remaining 90%." -SoylentNews

Elder Arcanist

About damn time.

Quote Originally Posted by Yttrium View Post
    Firefox is about to get multi-threaded support and 64-bit support.
    Woot
    My main wish in addition to all of that is that the firefox team would get over its fetish of copying chrome. It is very reminiscent of all of the enormous mistakes the Gnome/KDE teams have made at various points where instead of being innovative and intelligent they blindly copy all of the idiocy of the latest memes, to wit they should incorporate a lot of the extensions which make firefox much more usable and productive instead of targeting the lowest common denominator and minimizing initial effort at the cost of long term and medium term utility.

I've been trying out microblock (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/ublock/) as a potential improvement upon Adblock Edge. And so far it is pretty awesome. I like how its configuration works, less friction than edge. The license rocks (GPLv3, my preference for contributing code back to, second is the Apache 2.0 license which is stupidly rarely used, IMO if you are going to release under MIT or BSD 3 there's no reason not to use the Apache 2.0 license instead, in the best case scenario they are the same, in the worst case scenario it is better for the users, most comparable to analogue rights IMO without the political demagoguery). It is stupefying the criticism I see of Mozilla for reviewing all of its extensions.

Really the complete ignorance of security amongst developers is beyond baffling. I am optimistic the extremely inexpensive security courses being offered recently as well as hacking challenges available will improve this; the main skill that needs instilled is code auditing which is an exceedingly rare skill for people to have. This is marginally related to the poor system's programming concentration, which is likely most caused by the shift away from understanding the entire stack being expected culturally, the notion that ignorance is acceptable and common sense. A man, a plan, a canal, Panama!

Mozilla could do a much better job communicating to its users about useful addons; optimizing for the LCD is unacceptable. The result is computing being useless relative to its potential. That the majority of people cannot even use VBA is fucking obscene.

I don't like this extension but I do like the underlying premise behind it, in effect annotating the web. Kindle has something similar for its books that while I don't use I think is neat. https://services.addons.mozilla.org/...ry-personalrec Google Reader's social network was kind of like this in its usage, I haven't found anything similar that has gained mindshare.

The microblock code repository is here: https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock

Requestpolicy 1.0 is also orders of magnitude less tedious to configure and utilize early on after installing it compared to when I tried it out last. It was too much fiddling for me to use it in practice last time, it's as easy as NoScript now.
    Last edited by MI Redeux; April 2nd, 2015 at 12:54 AM.

isnt optimizing for LCD a good thing? CRTs are long dead.

I have honestly switched to Chrome it runs Youtube and Netflix in HTML5 without and bullshittery. I actually have not downloaded Flash in a few months and have yet to have a major issue in lacking it.
    "When you name your baby Jeeves...you've pretty much set up his career for life. You don't see many Hit Men, for example, named Jeeves. "Pardon me sir, but I must wack you now."
    — Jerry Seinfeld