Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Firefox/Chrome Extensions That You Like

hella Star-Demon :3

Re: Firefox/Chrome Extensions That You Like

How not to interact with users and other developers brought to you by Mozilla: http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comment...ything/cd2dkt3

That was sooo eerily reminiscent of reading Jay Wilson's delusional spill while Diablo 3 was burning as well as the months of blue posts claiming there were no dupes in WoW.

Poof make squid!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MI Redeux View Post
    How not to interact with users and other developers brought to you by Mozilla: http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comment...ything/cd2dkt3

That was sooo eerily reminiscent of reading Jay Wilson's delusional spill while Diablo 3 was burning as well as the months of blue posts claiming there were no dupes in WoW.
    I wish I'd browsed this thread at work today, despite not having the time.

One of the comments linked me to something I've been looking for for AGES yet couldn't find.

The Pale Moon Project/

It's a browser fork from firefox that not only has a stable 64 bit edition, there's a tool that'll port all of your settings/plugins/bookmarks/menubars/etc over from firefox.

This could make my life at work amazing because I'll no longer be limited to 2gb of usable RAM for my browser due to firefox being 32 bit. (2gb for OS, 2gb shared for all 32 bit apps, 4 whole gigs of ram unused by anything that's not a proper 64 bit app)

Considering how I regularly keep 2-4 firefox windows open with 1-45 tabs open in each one (increasing as the week goes on) this might save my bacon, productivity-wise.
    For copyright purposes, all of my posts are covered under the "Do What The Fuck You Want To Public License"
    http://sam.zoy.org/wtfpl/
    Noone should sue or be sued ambiguously.

Quote Originally Posted by Merrick ap'Milandra View Post
    I wish I'd browsed this thread at work today, despite not having the time.

One of the comments linked me to something I've been looking for for AGES yet couldn't find.

The Pale Moon Project/

It's a browser fork from firefox that not only has a stable 64 bit edition, there's a tool that'll port all of your settings/plugins/bookmarks/menubars/etc over from firefox.

This could make my life at work amazing because I'll no longer be limited to 2gb of usable RAM for my browser due to firefox being 32 bit. (2gb for OS, 2gb shared for all 32 bit apps, 4 whole gigs of ram unused by anything that's not a proper 64 bit app)

Considering how I regularly keep 2-4 firefox windows open with 1-45 tabs open in each one (increasing as the week goes on) this might save my bacon, productivity-wise.
    FF has been 64 bit for ages on OS X and Linux, no idea why the biggest desktop OS lagged so far behind to the point of actually being dropped at one point as anything they are working on.

I imagine freebsd had 64 bit as well, really strange situation.

Since you are a tab hoarder like myself, try out setting "Don't load tabs until selected" in preferences, using Ghostery, Noscript, and Adblock Plus, and Treestyle Tabs.

The first 4 should save a lot of resources and block a lot of bullshit in the process, and treestyle tabs, while not a perfect content traversal/intelligent grouping system, is the best I have seen so far.

On the reader front, I have been trying out Tranquility lately, and while I do not like the theme options it has as much, it is performs the best at content extraction that I have seen outside of Readability (which sends the data to an external site) creeping on what you are reading necessarily.

I want to like Firefox's Tab Group concept, but it requires manually curating them with no options to at least have it automatically group them by domain, which is just a huge pain in the ass. Safari has a similar idea except it is just a linear cover flow like presentation which is just crap for more than a handful of tabs and relocating the content of interest.

I think ideally for my use case something like automatic tab grouping by domain along with presenting a snapshot of the page relevant to each tab in the group, and maybe having the text on the page be grepable would be most ideal for scaling the amount of tabs to more than 10 in the current case and to the 300+ tab case more coherently.

Currently the things I find downsides to default Firefox is the way bookmarks are handled is just massively not useful and causes bookmarking sites to turn into a nightmare long term.

I also do not know why more browsers, and FF is the worst in this respect I think, do not steal Safari's interface for organizing content to view later, which is have a bookmarks tab, a reading list tab, and a links shared to and from my social networks tab in the same pane to reflect how content that is to be viewed later or worth having around long term is organized, all of which is synced across its various mobile/desktop incarnations.

Chrome does a better job than FF, but FF just really falls on its face here and has always been this way as far back as I can remember.

Personally, I probably have 3 ongoing lists that I bookmark, articles I want to read later, reference material, and shopping lists, probably the best way to handle this would be just to have tags or some other system available that allows users to create their own organization system if they have use cases beyond reading list and bookmark lists.

In the context of OS X, and presumably Windows, FF does not prompt for tags when something is downloaded, and does not integrate OS X's services (NeXTstep inherited concept) at all.

Also, something I am experiencing lately is that even with the shortcut customization extension it does not quite work for actually getting FF to use those keybinds and will not display all of them, it weirdly cuts off towards the end; another general UI quirk is that setting customizations are tucked away all over the place so there's no way of knowing where the hell the relevant setting is actually modified at.

It may be under preferences, under some tools > extension window, or some button on the toolbar that upon clicking shows other options, it's guesswork as far as I can tell.

What is the most weird is that there is no way to customize shortcuts by default without digging int about:config or downloading an extension, which is just a super basic thing to have even for general users that aren't freaks like us.

Also, the designated keybinds by default are just super nonsensical no matter the OS used.

There's no correlation between frequency used and the chord length utilized or even what may make sense mnemonically.
    Last edited by MI Redeux; November 3rd, 2013 at 03:29 PM.

Adblock, popup addon, and element hiding helper for obvious reasons
    Download Statusbar to display downloads in bar on the bottom
    Evernote Web Clipper to save pages to an evernote note
    Gmelius to tweak how the gmail page appears
    Gui:config exposes many settings found in about:config in a normal gui menu
    Secure Login allows me to log into a site wherin I've saved my password for the site with a hotkey
    Tab Mix Plus for Misc settings
    Translate This allows you to open a google translation of a page by clicking on a button
    Tree Style Tabs because its way easier to deal with a lot of tabs as a verticle tree
    User Agent Switcher to fool a tiny minority of sites that bizaarly choose to hardcode "compatible browsers"

Pentadactyl provides vim like keybindings for firefox which is freaking awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Aerimus Shadowborn View Post
    Secure Login allows me to log into a site wherin I've saved my password for the site with a hotkey
    Translate This allows you to open a google translation of a page by clicking on a button
    Tree Style Tabs because its way easier to deal with a lot of tabs as a verticle tree
    User Agent Switcher to fool a tiny minority of sites that bizaarly choose to hardcode "compatible browsers"

High five for being another Vim addict. I can't quit you Vim. What I would love though is just a way to seamlessly edit and create my posts in an external editor and put in the relevant box quickly. I am not aware of anything that just does that. Safari has a service that allows opening a selection in Textedit which kind of fulfills that idea. There's not a way to do that in FF though as it does not integrate OS X's services and I do not think there is an extension where that idea is targeted either.
    Last edited by MI Redeux; November 7th, 2013 at 02:50 AM.

Also, holy shit. I did not know about Gui:config... that is so fucking nice. I literally, literally could marry you right now for that pro tip. I am trying out Requestpolicy atm, not sure that I am going to keep it. It is a lot more cumbersome than what Noscript is as it works at a much more granular level (it does something different, just comparing the intrusiveness level).
    Last edited by MI Redeux; November 7th, 2013 at 03:08 AM.

#YesAllCats
    Blog Entries

firefox:

adblock duh
    custom tab width for unlimited tabs that don't get stupidly hidden off the end of the bar
    leechblock for blocking sites during work hours
    Session Manager for saving and restoring window and tab states

chrome:

duckduckgo for chrome
    New Tab Redirect because i don't need or fucking want thumbnails and links of my 'most visited sites' coming up every time I open a new tab.

That's it.

Tasty Danish

Chrome:
    Hola.org, because the Danish version of Netflix sucks balls.
    "Silver bullet solutions are rare, silver bullet sales commonplace"

Quote Originally Posted by Goladus View Post
    firefox:

adblock duh
    custom tab width for unlimited tabs that don't get stupidly hidden off the end of the bar
    leechblock for blocking sites during work hours
    Session Manager for saving and restoring window and tab states

chrome:

duckduckgo for chrome
    New Tab Redirect because i don't need or fucking want thumbnails and links of my 'most visited sites' coming up every time I open a new tab.

That's it.
    I wish browsers would just start including DDG as an option by default. FF on Linux does (at least on Debian), but nowhere else that I have seen for some reason.

Request Policy was really nice, however it was far too granular and tedious to make use of for me, so I have dropped it so far.

Tasty Danish

Edit: Nevermind, figured it out. Ignore me
    Last edited by Dawlin; November 18th, 2013 at 05:26 PM.
    "Silver bullet solutions are rare, silver bullet sales commonplace"

Quote Originally Posted by Dawlin View Post
    Very silly question: Chrome extensions are not restricted to certain OS'es , right ?
    As in: If an extension works on the Win version of Chrome, it works on the Android version as well.
    I would not expect that to generalize between mobile and desktop devices, but they are probably similar.

Quote Originally Posted by MI Redeux View Post
    High five for being another Vim addict. I can't quit you Vim. What I would love though is just a way to seamlessly edit and create my posts in an external editor and put in the relevant box quickly. I am not aware of anything that just does that. Safari has a service that allows opening a selection in Textedit which kind of fulfills that idea. There's not a way to do that in FF though as it does not integrate OS X's services and I do not think there is an extension where that idea is targeted either.
    Actually pentadactyl already does this. This reply is in fact composed in vim. Default binding is <C-i>, this makes vim open with the contents of the current input box and
    when you :wq the input box will be filled with the contents of this buffer.

Actually pentadactyl already does this. This reply is in fact composed in vim. Default binding is <C-i>, this makes vim open with the contents of the current input box and
    when you :wq the input box will be filled with the contents of this buffer.
    I will have to give it a more in depth look then. I wish there was an extension that made animated gifs click to play.

Another tab organization/context presentation option it Tile Tabs which integrates with the default tab groups as well. It's a pretty smart presentation UI for tabs with orders of magnitude less effort required than tab groups by themselves. I still prefer Tree Style Tabs but I like the way Tile Tabs displays and manages pages too.

So, after trying it out for quite a while now, I definitely am in love with Self-Destructing Cookies.

I only wish that a similarly easy to manage extension existed for history as a complement to open in private window/tab.

There are quite a few extensions that should just be defaults, things that FF has removed over time, such as being able to customize the shortcuts for basic features, which is just a bizarre thing to remove.

Including keepass or keepass x by default in FF would be a massive improvement to its currently insecure password management system.

Also allowing click to play be allowing per instance once again by default without having to have an extension to include that functionality again.

Reading List and Reader functionality that exists in Safari and Chrome by default would be nice as none of the extensions do it as well (other than Readability but that uses an external site).

Pie in the Sky feature requests would be making using GPG as seamless in Thunderbird and FF as it is with emacs gnus, which once setup is really trivial and brainless as using Lastpass is as a password management system; gnus is the only e-mail system I have seen that is not a UX nightmare for using gpg/pgp, no idea why it isn't copied everywhere that tries to utilize pgp.
    Last edited by MI Redeux; December 24th, 2013 at 11:36 PM.

One thing I like about my FF setup, is that say I restore or open k tabs, those k tabs only load their content when I focus that web page, up until that point FF uses no resources to render that page, which entails that FF is not using an enormous amount of resources if it crashes or I open tens of tabs quickly, which is pretty smart IMO. A general trend I have noticed with software though, is that it is increasingly designed in a way that is hostile to utilizing the software's utility more effectively due to stripping such methods in iterative releases (FF's case, another example is Apple's Pages) or never attempting such features in the first place, and as a result in the general case we arrive at a local minima that requires a nontrivial amount of effort to move away from even when it is possible to do so.

So, using FF as an example, there are an enormous amount of extensions that make many general tasks a lot more efficient, however the way that is accomplished may be unintuitive or just simply different than a concept that has become ubiquitous. An example of this elsewhere is X11's Paste Select in addition to also having the now ubiquitous Clipboard concept.

And in the general case, there are examples of concepts that generalize much better, but break with current SOP and do not receive adoption in the process to the suffering of everyone. Such concepts that come to mind are tiling window managers which are fantastic in a Linux environment and severely less of a clusterfuck in the context of high res screens and multiple monitors, and encapsulate a lot of the management techniques implemented to cope with organizing windows without a tiling WM (OS X's Mission Control and non-standard management tools like Slate/Divvy) along the way.*

Another example is generalizing cut/copy/paste with rings (https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/m...Kill-Ring.html) and a lot more intuitive/powerful undo system such as that employed by Vim (http://vimcasts.org/episodes/undo-br...and-gundo-vim/) which essentially acts as an in-text VCS; with undo systems elsewhere what will occur with undo/redo is anyone's guess and irregular across different software.

* The keybindings I have seen utilized by default are somewhat unimaginative though and shadow bindings elsewhere, key bindings in general likely should be rethought (RFC?).

DownThem All is nice as well and incorporates the functionality of Image Picker too, not sure why FF does not either allow for queuing downloads/very basic max concurrent downloads or make something like DownThemAll the default, their download manager and UI for bookmarks/history/lack of info extraction is a huge detriment to quality of life and is less confusing. Another weird program is that Steam does not have basic max download etc. options (last I used it anyways) and has to be done through QoS on a router instead, which is obviously more convoluted.

Apparently someone fubar'd the download code for FF 28 as FF now has the distinction of being the only program whose process was not killed successfully by kill -9 and I had to do so as root to kill it, brilliant. Everything is generally being slower than hell too.

I super wish I had some clout and influence upon the Firefox Browser teams as the browser continues to have features removed or broken with not valuable trade off made in doing so, the most recent example being none of the click to play extensions work for me anymore. Super luckily this is made redundant with NoScript, but it is a decison that in Vanilla FF has negative impacts in multiple ways, none of them trivial: it uses more resources, a bigger attack surface, and is annoying in most contexts where it is relevant thanks to the overwhelming amount of poorly designed web pages in existence. I have a hard time not believing this change is not done with malicious intent as a result of it being so absurd, other cases I can write off as being incompetence or simply not designing with myself in mind, but this one affects everyone, most of who won't realize this is something which should be undone.