Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Hearthstone - is anyone following this?

Elder Arcanist

Re: Hearthstone - is anyone following this?

I love the soundbite for Loot Hoarder "Mind if I roll need?"

Limited Access

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dawlin View Post
    I'm only interested in the mount

Joking aside, I spent a lot of time and money on mtg some 18 years ago (yes, it's been that long).

So I might pick this up. I'm very interested in the wow-sideeffects, though - like this recent PA illustrates.
    Fear not. I am sure Blizzard would never conceive of something so twisted.
    Ikeya: Lies. You moderate with oppressive bias.
    Rombus: man if that were only true
    Rombus: i would have banned claud 8 times over

Ikeya|Laptop has left irc.stratics.com (Quit: DIAF, Nadiar!)
    <lowkey> haha
    <lowkey> is it just random who ikeya is hating on?
    <vdou|work> if he's lookin at something , he's hatin on it

<vdou|work> its a given that anything with 'intelli-' as a prefix for the product's name is going to be more than a little retarded
    <xilet`> normally extra chromosome

Mangina at large.

I found Total Biscuit's Youtube channel where he plays Hearthstone. Good lord is he bad at the game. We're talking "two cards in hand, two creatures on the board, and he misplays" levels of bad. And his Arena drafting skills? He could get a better deck by flipping a coin to decide what card to take. But he's in the Beta, because hey, he streams his awful to the world!

Elder Arcanist

Ya I've been watching my friend play over skype and he went against Total Biscuit earlier today and it was just painful to watch. Though skill level shouldn't and couldn't matter when it comes to beta invites.

Systems Administrator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Delores Mulva View Post
    I found Total Biscuit's Youtube channel where he plays Hearthstone. Good lord is he bad at the game. We're talking "two cards in hand, two creatures on the board, and he misplays" levels of bad. And his Arena drafting skills? He could get a better deck by flipping a coin to decide what card to take. But he's in the Beta, because hey, he streams his awful to the world!
    He's bad at most games, thats the huge problem with him. He used to be relatively fine, but once he started to get famous, people would drag him along through games, effectively beating content for him, and then he'd scream about how easy the game was. He posts on reddit, and anyone who comes close to disagreeing with him gets attacked. Fan saying it would be awesome if he added some feature? Rather than just go "thanks for the ideas, I'll keep it in mind" he makes a video calling the fan out by name so he can attack the fan.

You can be an asshole to rivals and fans of rivals all you want. Being an asshole to your own fans makes you an asshole.
    "Complaining is the modern metagame" - BNet forums

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

Total Biscuit is good for two things.

1) Demonstrating how full featured a PC port is.

2) Showing off indie titles that otherwise wouldn't get much recognition.

While the latter is changing bit by bit, most mainstream sites don't cover PC ports or indie titles to near the degree he does, and so his channel has value. I don't particularly care about his opinions so can appreciate the times during Steam Sales when he says "I don't care much for this game, but a lot of people do". I can usually tell if I would like a game by watching it being played, and he covers a lot of stuff that no one else seems to, even on Youtube.

So yeah, Steam Box videos and WTF is videos are all I bother to watch from him.

While I can definitely appreciate the feeling of dismay you get when you watch someone play badly, I'm sort of used to it by now. Most people in general are bad at video games. I would say very few dedicate enough time to be good enough that they could do something and I wouldn't think I could do better.
    Last edited by Wool; September 4th, 2013 at 04:14 PM.

Systems Administrator
    Blog Entries

I certainly agree, I've used his videos as research on whether I should purchase a game or not.

Limited Access

Blog Entries

We need beta keys, Nadiar! As site admin of a, uh, "gaming" site I have full faith that you can do this.

And a purple theme.

<lowkey> haha

<vdou|work> its a given that anything with 'intelli-' as a prefix for the product's name is going to be more than a little retarded

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

If you want to watch people play games badly, you should watch the Yogscast! I found this to be reasonably entertaining, the ending is pretty good.

I almost want to play this. And with it in beta, it makes me want to try that recent cheap single player MTG game instead. The flow and pace of the Warcraft thing look vastly better suited to quickly digestible games, but I did always find the land resources in MTG to be interesting.

Elder Arcanist

Quote Originally Posted by Ikeya View Post
    We need beta keys, Nadiar! As site admin of a, uh, "gaming" site I have full faith that you can do this.

And a purple theme.
    It was my idea first, dibs!

Mangina at large.

Quote Originally Posted by Wool
    If you want to watch people play games badly, you should watch the Yogscast!
    Yeah, that was a lot of awful. When I want to watch strong play, I watch Noxious. His nerd habit of talking in bad accents is annoying, but he's a very good player, and the way he thinks about the game can be surprising (plus he taught me that Rockbiter can be applied directly to your hero, even without a weapon equipped). The problem I have with TB is twofold:

(1) He's a bad player. Unlike Yogscast, where they at least knew about proper game concepts (even if they had no idea how to apply them), TB just doesn't seem to get stuff like card advantage. Some bad plays can be fun to watch - Yog there nearly stumbled into the win, and only the "what the HELL" play of the year saved the mage. But TB's bad plays just annoy me. They show lack of knowledge, and they're small enough that you don't get a big laugh out of them (unlike that keystone cop sequence at the very end of the Yogcast).
    (2) His beta key likely came to him because he's a podcaster, but the last podcast of his I remember was his famous ragequit of WoW where he slagged the hell out of the game. So a guy burns your game (and in the most bizarre fashion - asking for Cataclysm content to be made harder, wtf?), and you respond by... letting him get early access on more of your games?

I second on the beta keys. Nadiar, chop chop!

Elder Arcanist

You should check out Lokazi, he is pretty responsive to people asking questions and he's a good player. Noxious is great in small doses.

Rainbow Carrot Loves You
    Yeah!

Well, in the end the thing the marketing department probably cares about the most is how many eyeballs they have access to. That's why publishers don't bother sending review copies of games out to websites with tiny viewership numbers.

P.S. Second Yogscast video is up. It's not as amusing, but still amusing for a different reason.

Spoiler for if anyone cares:

Basically they played against someone even worse than they are, and they seem incredibly bewildered that such a thing is even possible.

I think the guy they were playing must have been a player of a different card game and didn't realize that the rules were different and that you could directly attack the player's health pool. Kind of strange that someone would do the paid game mode without knowing how to play the game yet.
    Last edited by Wool; September 5th, 2013 at 04:33 PM.

Mangina at large.

Got my e-mail today. Installing now.

Elder Arcanist

Quote Originally Posted by Delores Mulva View Post
    Got my e-mail today. Installing now.
    Nice! I am guessing it was from opt-in then?

Mangina at large.

Yes. I should sleep now - been up over 24 hours. It's fun! It'll be more fun when I'm actually thinking straight!

Limited Access

Blog Entries

It amazes me how many streamers shit talk in this game.

<lowkey> haha

Elder Arcanist

Quote Originally Posted by Ikeya View Post
    It amazes me how many streamers shit talk in this game.
    Their opponents? I used to play Magic the Gathering online and 90% of the games the opponent wouldn't talk to me, 9% they only had shitty things to say, and 1% of the time they were pleasant human beings I wouldn't mind talking to again... so I am kinda glad Blizzard removed the ability to talk to someone. Even when you concede it makes your character say something rather than just an abrupt leaving of the game.

The funny thing is when streamers make fun of their opponent who is clearly someone who just got an invite and may not even be a tcg/ccg veteran... of course they're gonna do poorly against someone who's been playing 12 hours a day for over a week.

Mangina at large.

Second 24 hour day in a row. It is a fun game. Will talk more when I can see straight!

Limited Access

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dru View Post
    Their opponents?
    About their opponents, yes. It's making me glad that only prefixed emotes are the way to interact.

<lowkey> haha