Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dangers of Nyquil?

Forum Channeler

Dangers of Nyquil?

So I find out my girlfriends younger(18/19) sisters are taking Nyquil often to 'help go to sleep', even telling their mom they are sick longer than they really are so she will buy more. I know the alcohol is a big part of this, and there is something about Nyquil beig used to make meth(maybe?). But after mentioning a night of vodka/nyquil shots on my old guild board, I seem to remember hearing that there were other ingredients that were potentially harmful with prolonged use. It was enough to make me not want to abuse Nyquil(that had been my only time).

If this is true that there is something more damaging/addictive than alcohol(yes i know they should really even be messing with the alcohol, but thats a different story), I would like to find some articles to show these girls that this isnt something they should be playing with.

Anyone?

Mr. Angsty Spice
    From the Vicks' Website:
    Overdose warning: Taking more than the recommended dose can cause serious health problems. In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center right away. Quick medical attention is critical for adults as well as for children even if you do not notice any signs or symptoms.

What is DXM (dextromethorphan)?

The application for a patent on DXM was first filed in 1949, and it was approved for sale in the United States by the FDA in 1958. DXM is in a class of drugs known as dissociative anaesthetics. Many of these have powerful psychedelic effects at sufficiently high doses

I would suggest browsing http://www.dextromethorphan.ws/

Oh, and coincidentally - Nyquil does not contain Ephedrine any more (for the Crystal Meth) so it's not likely being used for that purpose any longer.
    I've got beer to drink and You guys are wasting my time.

Juju Incantatrix
    The Tao of ~i~
    Nyquil has DXM in it, in large amounts it's a psychedelic. It's a trendy thing with kids right now to abuse cough medicines containing DXM. What makes this practice dangerous is that Nyquil also contains acetaminophen, which is toxic to the liver - and the recommended dose of acetaminophen is not far from the toxic dose. If you take enough Nyquil to get something out of the DXM, the risk of liver toxicity is great. The smarter kids use the Robitussin formula that doesn't contain acetaminophen or expectorants. You might hear it referred to as "robotripping."
    Last edited by luxum; February 1st, 2006 at 11:55 AM.
    Hey boy... why don't you get off of my ferns?

Ancient Arcanist
    Blog Entries
    I saw the "Dangers of Nyquil" thread right above the "Adult Diapers thread..." and put two and two together and made a mental note to make sure if I ever need to buy diapers if I ever need to buy lots of Nyquil.
    Life has taught us that love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking outward together in the same direction.

Very nice!
    I like bOObies
    Quote Originally Posted by luxum
    Nyquil has DXM in it, in large amounts it's a psychedelic. It's a trendy thing with kids right now to abuse cough medicines containing DXM. What makes this practice dangerous is that Nyquil also contains acetaminophen, which is toxic to the liver - and the recommended dose of acetaminophen is not far from the toxic dose. If you take enough Nyquil to get something out of the DXM, the risk of liver toxicity is great. The smarter kids use the Robitussin formula that doesn't contain acetaminophen or expectorants. You might hear it referred to as "robotripping."
    WTF ever happend to just smoking a joint and eating 6 pizzas???

Make My Funk
    the P-Funk
    Blog Entries
    No doubt. Robotripping.... man I had a sheltered childhood.

Forum Channeler

Makes me think of the MC Chris song(along with a couple other things)

Elder Arcanist

Quote Originally Posted by Rolinn
    So I find out my girlfriends younger(18/19) sisters are taking Nyquil often to 'help go to sleep', even telling their mom they are sick longer than they really are so she will buy more. I know the alcohol is a big part of this, and there is something about Nyquil beig used to make meth(maybe?). But after mentioning a night of vodka/nyquil shots on my old guild board, I seem to remember hearing that there were other ingredients that were potentially harmful with prolonged use. It was enough to make me not want to abuse Nyquil(that had been my only time).

If this is true that there is something more damaging/addictive than alcohol(yes i know they should really even be messing with the alcohol, but thats a different story), I would like to find some articles to show these girls that this isnt something they should be playing with.

Anyone?
    Just tell their mother what is going on. In ten years when they're not alcoholics or junkies thanks to your intervention, they'll thank you for it.

Right Wing Posterchild

I remember when I was in AA years ago, we often had problems with folks relapsing after taking Nyquil for a cold. They kept taking it longer and longer, then more and more, then just went back to their old lives. It's a pretty strong medication, and parents should be careful about monitoring thier kids on it.
    Too bad the good points of many threads here on Graffes get buried in shit.

Ravillicus

6 Years for this title
    What does that High blood presrure couph stuff have in it that makes kids steal the hell out of it?

Robotripping, *shudder*, Robotripping/DXM is something I have NO desire to do.

If they are using NyQuil to get fucked up - that is dangerous, as mentioned above, it contains other active ingrediants which are toxic and possibly fatal if taken in high doses.

Not to promote Robotripping, but if your going to chug cough syrup to trip - make sure DXM is the ONLY active thing in it. Mind you, I've never done it myself, have no desire to do it, and would recomend against doing it. (and, considering the crap I've put into my body in the past ......)

Forum Channeler

Just tell their mother what is going on.
    I know, but there are a lot(ALOT) of family dynamics to consider that could take pages to explain, but its an option.

(I dont think)they arent taking alot at once, just a single doseage, but possibly on a consistent basis when its not needed. And I think its a fairly new thing(I think), so Im not trying to pound them on it, just maybe some information so they feel like they are making the decision on their own.

Theyre pretty good kids, I think they just dont know the dangers, and think its just like drinking a sip of alcohol or something.

Formerly: Whizbang Dustyboots
    Media 1337
    My biggest problem is that those little cups are slippery, which makes it hard to pound shots of it while I'm driving down I-15 at 80 miles per hour.

Elder Arcanist
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolinn
    Theyre pretty good kids, I think they just dont know the dangers, and think its just like drinking a sip of alcohol or something.
    Educate them before they kill themselves.

Elder Arcanist

This is what happens when illicit drugs are not available to our children.

Elder Arcanist
    You're saying pot isn't available? Uh huh. In fact, $20 of pot would get 3 times as many kids high as $20 of cough medicine. Most kids that want to get off on cough medicine steal it, and that of course leads to other problems.

It'll cause serious damage with long term use, but it's very popular with kids since it's part of the 'let's try everything that isn't heroin and coke' phase.

躲猫猫
    Quote Originally Posted by ludarian
    $20 of pot would get 3 times as many kids high as $20 of cough medicine.
    Wouldn't it be cheaper for them just to buy a sheet of lsd tabs and stop pussyfooting around?