Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 61

Thread: When is Arcanist getting fixed?

  1. #1
    Elder Arcanist
    Maledict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    10,697

    When is Arcanist getting fixed?

    Haven't seen anything official, and after killing 7 bosses in MC now am getting incredibly tired of having to wear green XXX items of FRozen Wrath instead of my epic Arcanist pants & boots to increase my damage.

    The Arcanist set is junk.

    i) The set bonuses are *terrible*. The first bonus is a joke, the second one useful in one fight in the entire zone, and the third would be nice - apart from the fact that wearing Arcanist means you actually can't ever do enough damage to get aggor in the first place!

    ii) The stats are useless. +14 damage for frost damage on the set legs?

    Mages need and use + damage gear in PvE. We need *lots* of it. I've run parses of clearing the first 4 bosses, and I do more damage wearing *green* world drop items xxx of Frozen Wrath than I do wearing my epic set. (And we chain pull madly in there now, so very little rest time).

    The bonuses should be changed to all spells, not just frost (speaking as a frost mage here), and should be drastically improved so that you actually want to wear the items whilst raiding.


    Please, for the love of god, go back and redo the stats on the Arcanist set. The entire set needs a reworking, because at the moment its a complete joke compared to every other Tier 1 epic set in MC.


    We can clear almost all of MC now - I shouldn't be checking the AH every day for upgrades from common green world drop items.


    P.S. This outburst came about when I realised last week I hadn't even swapped out my green items for the epics on a Garr fight as I usually do, and I *still* didn't run out of mana, and I did more damage.

  2. #2
    Elder Arcanist
    Maledict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    10,697
    Just to add, this isn't a moan about how the set isn't good for my talent build, or a complaint about how its only good in PvP.

    Currently, Arcanist just is plain pointless, straight up. No other class in the game is wearing green items over epics to boost their damage, and thats just wrong on every level.


    And introducing good items in BWL & Zol'Gurrub doesn;t cut it either - unles you expect Mages not to ever raid MC. You can't a fix a problem by ignoring it and hoping people will go elsewhere.

  3. #3
    Elder Arcanist
    Quineloe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    10,117
    No other class in the game is wearing green items over epics to boost their damage, and thats just wrong on every level.
    Hello?

    No other class in the game is wearing green items over epics to boost their damage, and thats just wrong on every level.
    Find relief in the fact that warriors will bank their Might set for BWL in 1.7, if you want :P

    Quote Originally Posted by Rombus
    Casters just love to whine

  4. #4
    IMO the high end uber stuff shouldn't make you a god among men, but it should add additional stats that you'd have to choose between otherwise. For example, I have to now choose between INT/STA and DMG - the higher end the set, the more rounded you'd be - so you'd be able to acheive high marks in all stats and +DMG, but you wouldn't dramatically exceed a non-uber player in any single category.

    That's my notion for what gear should be doing. If you can suddenly get 1000 +dmg in items or have 6000 HP (as a Mage) then it breaks PvP substantially for the rest of us, because you'd either be virtually indestructable or you'd be a damage wrecking ball. But if you're running around with 3500 HP 6500 mana and 450 +dmg you're not going to be godly due to having any particular aspect jacked up, but you're more well rounded than the rest of us could manage.

  5. #5
    Forum Channeler

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    255
    I strongly disagree with Gore.
    I don't raid for hours and hours a day to be just the same as the rest of you.
    I don't wait months and months for another 2 int and 2 sta ... so I can be "slightly" more "rounded" ....

    I raid because I want to be substantially more powerful than other people.

    We have the Top Horde PVPer in our guild on Uther ... Andretuous ...
    His PVP gear makes him really really powerful, why cause he's put the time in to get it...

    No way I want to put the time in to get epic MC/BWL loot just to make me a tiny bit better than random_noob_mage_345678!

    You get out what you put in ... I put in time .. I get the appropriate awards ... Noob_mage_937846 is a casual player and should never ever expect to be as well geared or as powerful as me ... if he wants to beat me in PVP fine .. work your arse off to get up to my lvl .. don't drag me down to yours.

    Sorry Gore but I must Respectfully disagree.
    - Malcum

    "Good things come to those who wait, but only those things left behind by those who hustle" - Abraham Lincoln

  6. #6
    Limited Access

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    9,335
    Blog Entries
    4
    I laugh at the Arcanist set bonus. And the +frost damage (WTF? Where's the +fire too?) pieces are just an additional slap to fire mages. And the set bonuses? Ha! Oh, goody, 10% more damage absorbed by my wards. That's sure going to help when in PvE mobs are flinging spells that are doing half my HP. But wait! 15 second more polymorph time. Because it's not like you just can't reapply in mid fight! The eight piece set is nice, but really, who wants to waste that many item slots for Blessing of Salvation. Fuck, arcane talents are better for -aggro on arcane spells.
    Ikeya: Lies. You moderate with oppressive bias.
    Rombus: man if that were only true
    Rombus: i would have banned claud 8 times over


    Ikeya|Laptop has left irc.stratics.com (Quit: DIAF, Nadiar!)
    <lowkey> haha
    <lowkey> is it just random who ikeya is hating on?
    <vdou|work> if he's lookin at something , he's hatin on it


    <vdou|work> its a given that anything with 'intelli-' as a prefix for the product's name is going to be more than a little retarded
    <xilet`> normally extra chromosome

  7. #7
    Elder Arcanist
    Quineloe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    10,117
    Gore that's all nice and dandy what you say, but we know that level 60 epic melee gear DOES make them gods among men.

  8. #8
    Elder Arcanist
    Quineloe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    10,117
    The eight piece set is nice, but really, who wants to waste that many item slots for Blessing of Salvation. Fuck, arcane talents are better for -aggro on arcane spells.
    Horde wizards?

  9. #9
    Seriously Good At This
    Agent-Jesus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,024
    Unlikely arcanist is going to be "fixed". The more apt question is when will netherwind be fixed?

  10. #10
    Limited Access

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    9,335
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Quineloe
    Horde wizards?
    Arcane Subtley.
    Ikeya: Lies. You moderate with oppressive bias.
    Rombus: man if that were only true
    Rombus: i would have banned claud 8 times over


    Ikeya|Laptop has left irc.stratics.com (Quit: DIAF, Nadiar!)
    <lowkey> haha
    <lowkey> is it just random who ikeya is hating on?
    <vdou|work> if he's lookin at something , he's hatin on it


    <vdou|work> its a given that anything with 'intelli-' as a prefix for the product's name is going to be more than a little retarded
    <xilet`> normally extra chromosome

  11. #11
    Elder Arcanist
    Quineloe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    10,117
    Didn't you call the wizards that use AS pussies?

    also, why should horde mages have less agro reduction on weaker DPS than the alliance mages?

    don't play Arcanist 8/8 down because you're playing "easy" mode

  12. #12
    Elder Arcanist
    Quineloe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    10,117
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent-Jesus
    Unlikely arcanist is going to be "fixed". The more apt question is when will netherwind be fixed?
    the only fix will be adding graphics.
    Sadly, Blizzard believes in fixing itemization by adding new items instead of repairing what's broken here.

  13. #13
    Locked Account
    MSEvangelista

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    8,687
    Blog Entries
    2
    That's not true, Quineloe, they've already reworked both the Arcanist and Netherwind set bonuses and stats and effects. I think they could use maybe +10 more damage each piece that has +damage, but otherwise it's quite fine how it is imo.

  14. #14
    My Life for Aiur!

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    2,853
    The Int/Sta/Resists/Mana per tick on Arcanist are fine, the +damage needs to go up and the 8 piece set bonus needs to be un-nerfed. It should definitely be +all damage instead of +frost.

    You should probably be wearing your pants and boots btw, that +1% crit rate is really pretty neat since it scales with your spell's damage. For a Frost Mage (and who else would be wearing Arcanist Pants/Boots) +1% crit = +1% damage, so for a 800 damage Frostbolt it's equal to +8 damage, bringing the total up to +22 and on the boots +19.

    Of course then you take a look at the Rend boots and /cry =( The pants are still uber though, 20 int 20 sta, 10 FR and an effective +22 damage? I'd take that over Frozen Wrath.

    Oh and gore, if the Arcanist set gave +450 in spell damage I'd LOVE it, and the PvP armor already overs better pieces with better bonuses so wtf is the point of gimp Arcanist?

  15. #15
    Elder Arcanist
    Maledict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    10,697
    The problem is, with +1% crit adding +8 damage (it adds about +8.5 on my character, its *still* better wearing green items that add more damage.


    Thats the problem. Mages in PvE just don't seem to gain anything from higher intelligence or spirit or stamina once you raid. It does nothing as far as I can tell, because if you aren't running out of mana on Gore / Golemagg or when chain pulling, when do you run out of mana? And I'm sure when our melee get all their Gutgores / Brutality Blades etc thing will become even worse as the raids collective DPS goes even higher.


    And Gore, re. wanting to be a god amongst men - nope. I'd be incredibly happy with the set you desrcibe.

    But at the moment, for PvE raiding, Green world drop xxx of Frozen Wrath items are better than Arcanist in every slot bar one. (possibly).

    And that's just nonsense.

  16. #16
    Elder Arcanist

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    6,985
    I'm disappointed that the crafted items from recipes attained via ZG outpost faction add more to a mages damage than Netherwind Armor. Why do blue quality crafted legs from a middle progression zone have more +damage than legs I looted off Ragnaros? I was so happy with these legs, and then info from this patch started floating around and they completely took a shit all over my legs by adding in this new stuff and altering flarecore leggings (I am not upset about the quality of these items, I'm upset about the lack of quality of Netherwind).

    I'd be fine if MC gear wasn't a +damage upgrade from ZG (MC loot being stats and +damage, get your cake and eat it too). But as it stands, we're going up and stats, up and resists, and down in damage. There are a few fights in the game where resists are what allow a mage to do extra damage. But I don't want to get an extra 20k damage out of a fight because I was knocked back less. I want 20k extra damage out of a fight because my frostbolts hit for 850 instead of 750.

    Also I am having trouble understanding the +spell chance to hit.

    If progression is Dire Maul/Stralthome/Scholomance > UBRS > ZG > MC > BWL why do we see +chance for spells to hit in only the very middle of progression? Why wasn't this added to MC/BWL loot?

  17. #17
    Cuddly Fuzzy Postdoc
    Sehra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    12,348
    Quote Originally Posted by Tempnamious
    I raid because I want to be substantially more powerful than other people.
    I believe that a direct relationship between time invested and character power is needed, but can be dangerous if applied improperly. Especially in a PvP game.

    A casual 60 should not be a squishable ant compared to a raiding uber 60, with no chance of winning ever. That seems to be what you want, so I'll just respectfully disagree.

  18. #18
    Elder Arcanist

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    11,526
    Probably because all the good +damage gear doesn't have much in the way of other stats. (sta/int)

    I'm sure if people were willing to give up some int/sta you might get some more +damage on epics. But look at all the bitching that went on about the DMF necklace 'nerf'. Those mages who have a death grip on their 8 billion mana don't want any tradeoffs. They just want the 'best' gear.


    Frankly, I think a mage with 3500 hp, 6500 mana and +450 damage would be a god among men, on par with TUF idiocy.

  19. #19
    Elder Arcanist
    Maledict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    10,697
    I have 2500 hitpoints, 6000 mana, and +379 damage (no Talisman of Ephemeral Power yet), so I'm close to a god amongst men, at least for PvE... *grins*

    (Thats a joke BTW).

    Problem is, that gear is wearing 4 green items, and the rest blue items from the level 60 instances.

    Would be nice to actually wear epics once in a while...

  20. #20
    Limited Access

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    9,335
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Quineloe
    Didn't you call the wizards that use AS pussies?

    also, why should horde mages have less agro reduction on weaker DPS than the alliance mages?

    don't play Arcanist 8/8 down because you're playing "easy" mode
    They are! But its you warlocks that get all pissy when fireball or frostbolt knocks Curse of Shadows off! And AS is a greater threat reduction than BoS (60% when maxxed out vs. 15% BoS).

    Personally, I never understood what all the hub hub about BoS was. I still pull aggro fairly easily with it up.
    Ikeya: Lies. You moderate with oppressive bias.
    Rombus: man if that were only true
    Rombus: i would have banned claud 8 times over


    Ikeya|Laptop has left irc.stratics.com (Quit: DIAF, Nadiar!)
    <lowkey> haha
    <lowkey> is it just random who ikeya is hating on?
    <vdou|work> if he's lookin at something , he's hatin on it


    <vdou|work> its a given that anything with 'intelli-' as a prefix for the product's name is going to be more than a little retarded
    <xilet`> normally extra chromosome

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •