Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 60 Minutes - Rundown on Woodward's interview about Bush/Iraq

60 Minutes - Rundown on Woodward's interview about Bush/Iraq

60 Minutes tonight featured an interview with Bob Woodard, the journalist whose new book "Plan of Attack" features interviews with the President and other administration insiders about the the war with Iraq.

Some of the main points of discussion:

Cheney appears to have been a very major driving force behind Bush's determination to replace Saddam. Woodward describes Cheney as persuing the issue with great zeal, pushing Bush on the issue early in the presidency.

Woodward also describes Collin Powell as being at times completely left out of the process. In fact, he mentions that the Saudi royalty often knew more about Bush's plans than our Secretary of State. Woodward portrays Powell as the single voice of oposition to the war from the White House, who set aside his opinions in order to present a unified front for the administration. He goes on to claim that the issue has driven Cheney and Powell far apart, to such an extent that the two hardly even converse.

As for the Saudis, Woodward goes on to describe the close family ties between Bush and the Saudi prince. In fact, he claims that the prince not only supported Bush's war in Iraq, but also plans to cut oil prices prior to this year's election to help the US economy and promote another Bush victory.

Woodward also accuses the Bush administration of hiding funding for the Iraq war in appropriations bills tied to the Afghani conflict. The administration was diverting funding for war preparations long before the action was officially announced, and Congress was left in the dark.

President Bush also was quoted as describing his duty to "free the world," a duty presumably handed down by God. Bush also said that his father (Bush Sr.) was not an appropriate person to go to for advice on Iraq, and that he instead consulted a higher power. Bush also says he hopes he has pleased God with his actions.

Interesting stuff...
    Last edited by gore; April 18th, 2004 at 08:12 PM.

Lord Inquisitor Lenin
    President Bush also was quoted as describing his duty to "free the world," a duty presumably handed down by God. Bush also said that his father (Bush Sr.) was not an appropriate person to go to for advice on Iraq, and that he instead consulted a higher power. Bush also says he hopes he has pleased God with his actions.
    Whoah. That's kind of unsettling. . .

I can has title?
    How so?
    Computer Geek for the USMC
    or: staying Semper Fi with Exchange 2003

Lord Inquisitor Lenin
    A president who, rather than consult a former president on matters of national security, instead consults God, does not strike me as an individual who fully comprehends the complexity of international relations. Or if he does comprehend them, one who rather does not give these complexities too much thought and instead prefers to adopt a from-the-gut standpoint on every issue.

Formerly: Whizbang Dustyboots
    Media 1337
    I'd like to hear how this book was sourced.

The Colin Powell stuff has been "common knowledge" for a while, but it's disheartening to hear it apparently confirmed.

Elder Arcanist

I listen to the voices in my head. They tell me I need tp for my bunghole.

Elder Arcanist

Well one thing is certain Woodward has an apt audience that is more then willing to buy into any* conspiracy theory regarding Bush and Iraq. Shocking that he made a book about it!! Unbelievable that he released it now!!

All and all Woodwards "big scoop" is that we where planning on going to war with Iraq and where thus making contigency plans for that eventuality. Well holy shit! knock me over with old news Woodward.

Course it all a big vast conspiracy made up of secret shemers with plans of world domination through the sale of Coke products..or some shit.

Conspiracies are so much more sexier then reality.

How conspiracy theorist view themselves-

Realities view-

D E N I E D !
    Blog Entries
    Did you even read the fucking thread, or did you just decide, "hrm, politics, time to be angsty with the liberals?"

Edit: No, glamour queen, this is not an attempt to "start something" with you, this is more of a "what the fuck", as you seem to do this in every thread remotely politically related. You're winning us votes for November, so I can't complain too much, but some insight and original thought would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by gore
    I hope he was only trying to garner some additional votes when he said this.

Else we're all up shit creek with Vice paddling.

Elder Arcanist

I doubt he said it like that. More then likely that is spin by Woodward of something he said taken out of context or made to appear "bad" in some form. Of course though it plays better to those who will buy into anything.

The Red Wizard

A president who, rather than consult a former president on matters of national security, instead consults God, does not strike me as an individual who fully comprehends the complexity of international relations. Or if he does comprehend them, one who rather does not give these complexities too much thought and instead prefers to adopt a from-the-gut standpoint on every issue.

This merely describes Bush as being stupid.

This says he's just plain nuts.

Forum Administrator
    Yark Yark!
    Quote Originally Posted by vladius
    This merely describes Bush as being stupid.

This says he's just plain nuts.

cocaine psychosis + jesus fever = one bad mutha

Elder Arcanist

Amazing how it feeds right into the mindsets of those who are opposed/hate/etc Bush and those who have loony ideas of the why's of Iraq.

Its like it was crafted that way or something...lol

Media 1337
    Yes, because it's not like Bob Woodward has ever been right before or anything ...

In any case, I wanna see what the sourcing is on this. And I think the Colin Powell stuff, if true, is the most interesting part of all of this.

Elder Arcanist

Well he is definately right that he will sell alot of copies of his new book to a base of people who are salivating for anything that makes their fantasies seem real.

Media 1337
    Vice, it would just be a lot simpler if you'd cut-and-paste "nuh uh" in every post on these sorts of threads, since that's what your posts pretty much amount to.

Woodward still is Woodward. He didn't create Watergate out of whole cloth, and while he has been attacked for pretty much every book he's ever done, I don't know any examples where history didn't end up saying that he was fundemantally correct, although there are often arguments about specific details.

D E N I E D !
    Blog Entries
    nuh uh

Elder Arcanist

Yeah whatever..call me a sheep and get it over with if that is going to be the extent of your replies.

Thats to Whizbang not the guy trying to get attention above.

Elder Arcanist
    Pff all of this is old news, where you guys have been living.

Also don't forget the Office of Special Plans, run by Cheney and Rumsfeld, in charged to pick in intelligence agency information "proofs" to support an invasion, and forgetting anything that wasnt going the correct way.

As for Bush talking to God... he wants the 50 millions americans fundamentalists Christians to vote for him, thats all.

"What is this great evil? How did it steal into the world? From what seed, what root did it spring? Who's doing this? Who's killing us? Robbing us of light and life. Mocking us with the sight of what we might have known. " - Private Edward P. Train

D E N I E D !
    Blog Entries
    Thats to Whizbang not the guy trying to get attention above.
    *blink*