PDA

View Full Version : 60 Minutes - Rundown on Woodward's interview about Bush/Iraq

gore
April 18th, 2004, 06:55 PM
60 Minutes tonight featured an interview with Bob Woodard, the journalist whose new book "Plan of Attack" features interviews with the President and other administration insiders about the the war with Iraq.

Some of the main points of discussion:

Cheney appears to have been a very major driving force behind Bush's determination to replace Saddam. Woodward describes Cheney as persuing the issue with great zeal, pushing Bush on the issue early in the presidency.

Woodward also describes Collin Powell as being at times completely left out of the process. In fact, he mentions that the Saudi royalty often knew more about Bush's plans than our Secretary of State. Woodward portrays Powell as the single voice of oposition to the war from the White House, who set aside his opinions in order to present a unified front for the administration. He goes on to claim that the issue has driven Cheney and Powell far apart, to such an extent that the two hardly even converse.

As for the Saudis, Woodward goes on to describe the close family ties between Bush and the Saudi prince. In fact, he claims that the prince not only supported Bush's war in Iraq, but also plans to cut oil prices prior to this year's election to help the US economy and promote another Bush victory.

Woodward also accuses the Bush administration of hiding funding for the Iraq war in appropriations bills tied to the Afghani conflict. The administration was diverting funding for war preparations long before the action was officially announced, and Congress was left in the dark.

President Bush also was quoted as describing his duty to "free the world," a duty presumably handed down by God. Bush also said that his father (Bush Sr.) was not an appropriate person to go to for advice on Iraq, and that he instead consulted a higher power. Bush also says he hopes he has pleased God with his actions.

Interesting stuff...

Eamin
April 18th, 2004, 07:02 PM
President Bush also was quoted as describing his duty to "free the world," a duty presumably handed down by God. Bush also said that his father (Bush Sr.) was not an appropriate person to go to for advice on Iraq, and that he instead consulted a higher power. Bush also says he hopes he has pleased God with his actions.

Whoah. That's kind of unsettling. . .

DrSwordopolis
April 18th, 2004, 07:46 PM
How so?

Eamin
April 18th, 2004, 07:57 PM
A president who, rather than consult a former president on matters of national security, instead consults God, does not strike me as an individual who fully comprehends the complexity of international relations. Or if he does comprehend them, one who rather does not give these complexities too much thought and instead prefers to adopt a from-the-gut standpoint on every issue.

Ringo
April 18th, 2004, 08:04 PM
I'd like to hear how this book was sourced.

The Colin Powell stuff has been "common knowledge" for a while, but it's disheartening to hear it apparently confirmed.

Mitebe
April 18th, 2004, 08:07 PM
I listen to the voices in my head. They tell me I need tp for my bunghole.

Vice
April 18th, 2004, 09:31 PM
Well one thing is certain Woodward has an apt audience that is more then willing to buy into any* conspiracy theory regarding Bush and Iraq. Shocking that he made a book about it!! Unbelievable that he released it now!! :rolleyes:

All and all Woodwards "big scoop" is that we where planning on going to war with Iraq and where thus making contigency plans for that eventuality. Well holy shit! knock me over with old news Woodward.

Course it all a big vast conspiracy made up of secret shemers with plans of world domination through the sale of Coke products..or some shit.

Conspiracies are so much more sexier then reality.

How conspiracy theorist view themselves-

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/MMPH/227697.jpg

Realities view-

http://timvp.com/gomer2.jpg

ClaudShatterglass
April 18th, 2004, 09:33 PM
Did you even read the fucking thread, or did you just decide, "hrm, politics, time to be angsty with the liberals?"

Edit: No, glamour queen, this is not an attempt to "start something" with you, this is more of a "what the fuck", as you seem to do this in every thread remotely politically related. You're winning us votes for November, so I can't complain too much, but some insight and original thought would be appreciated.

RandomPasserBy
April 18th, 2004, 09:40 PM

I hope he was only trying to garner some additional votes when he said this.

Else we're all up shit creek with Vice paddling.

Vice
April 18th, 2004, 09:47 PM
I doubt he said it like that. More then likely that is spin by Woodward of something he said taken out of context or made to appear "bad" in some form. Of course though it plays better to those who will buy into anything.

Vladius
April 18th, 2004, 09:49 PM
A president who, rather than consult a former president on matters of national security, instead consults God, does not strike me as an individual who fully comprehends the complexity of international relations. Or if he does comprehend them, one who rather does not give these complexities too much thought and instead prefers to adopt a from-the-gut standpoint on every issue.

This merely describes Bush as being stupid.

This says he's just plain nuts.

camrael
April 18th, 2004, 09:51 PM
This merely describes Bush as being stupid.

This says he's just plain nuts.

cocaine psychosis + jesus fever = one bad mutha

Vice
April 18th, 2004, 10:00 PM
Amazing how it feeds right into the mindsets of those who are opposed/hate/etc Bush and those who have loony ideas of the why's of Iraq.

Its like it was crafted that way or something...lol :rolleyes:

Ringo
April 18th, 2004, 11:12 PM
Yes, because it's not like Bob Woodward has ever been right before or anything ...

In any case, I wanna see what the sourcing is on this. And I think the Colin Powell stuff, if true, is the most interesting part of all of this.

Vice
April 18th, 2004, 11:27 PM
Well he is definately right that he will sell alot of copies of his new book to a base of people who are salivating for anything that makes their fantasies seem real.

Ringo
April 18th, 2004, 11:37 PM
Vice, it would just be a lot simpler if you'd cut-and-paste "nuh uh" in every post on these sorts of threads, since that's what your posts pretty much amount to.

Woodward still is Woodward. He didn't create Watergate out of whole cloth, and while he has been attacked for pretty much every book he's ever done, I don't know any examples where history didn't end up saying that he was fundemantally correct, although there are often arguments about specific details.

ClaudShatterglass
April 18th, 2004, 11:46 PM
nuh uh

Vice
April 18th, 2004, 11:56 PM
Yeah whatever..call me a sheep and get it over with if that is going to be the extent of your replies.

Thats to Whizbang not the guy trying to get attention above.

Belarkan
April 19th, 2004, 12:04 AM
Pff all of this is old news, where you guys have been living.

Also don't forget the Office of Special Plans, run by Cheney and Rumsfeld, in charged to pick in intelligence agency information "proofs" to support an invasion, and forgetting anything that wasnt going the correct way.

As for Bush talking to God... he wants the 50 millions americans fundamentalists Christians to vote for him, thats all.

ClaudShatterglass
April 19th, 2004, 12:04 AM
*blink*

Belarkan
April 19th, 2004, 12:28 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4767275/

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2003/005/3.38.html

This is some scary stuff, but again, nothing new.
A vision of the world based on religion morality, removing any complexity to the world, with the risk to become autistic.
Even a large part of the Christians seem to disagree.

Pilsain Silverback
April 19th, 2004, 06:09 AM
It is no suprise to me that Powell was against the Iraq war.

He was the reason it wasn't finished in 1991, despite Cheney and Schwartzkoff pushing Bush Sr. to finish Saddam. Overall, I'm disappointed with Powell. Next to the CIA, the biggest snafu's since the beginning of our War on Terror has been those of the State Dept.

As far as Woodward's book, heh, I'm like Whiz, I'll wait till the sourcing comes out before I decide.

gore
April 19th, 2004, 07:49 AM
Most of this wasn't much of a surprise to me, but I was disturbed by the allegations of collusion with the Saudi government. Having a foreign power fix oil prices to help him win the election strikes me as a very serious problem...

ClaudShatterglass
April 19th, 2004, 07:53 AM
As I said in a thread a ways back the river, Money Makes The World Go Round. In an ideal world, yes, foreign powers wouldn't be able to buy influence and potentially elections, but we do not live in an ideal world and must deal with what we have.

Galamar
April 19th, 2004, 08:47 AM
Hrm, what surprises me is the amount of influence Cheney apparently has according to this book. He always seems like the red-headed stepchild in the government. No real tasks.. just sorta there if Bush kicks the bucket. He never seems to do anything.

valas
April 19th, 2004, 08:51 AM
Hrm, what surprises me is the amount of influence Cheney apparently has according to this book. He always seems like the red-headed stepchild in the government. No real tasks.. just sorta there if Bush kicks the bucket. He never seems to do anything.

I can't remember a VP that wasn't like that. Did Gore seem do do anything under Clinton? Quale was laughed at under G.H. Bush. Bush was known more for calling Reagans econonmic plan voodoo economics then he was for anything he did while VP. Mondale was invisible under Carter. I don't even remember who was VP for Ford and Ford was pretty much an unknown under Nixon. Had Kennedy not died, Johnson would be pretty much unknown as well.

Bodisatva
April 19th, 2004, 09:32 AM
YEah guys, Woodward is just another liberal hack looking for a book deal payday.

Whatever.

Any leader insinuating or otherwise suggesting that his "mission" was handed down by "God" is commonly referred to by the US as a "threat"...or at the very least wears a turban of some sort.

Vice
April 19th, 2004, 12:31 PM
Nope he wrote a book that aids you in your fantasies..Its all True!

I smell lamb.

Eamin
April 19th, 2004, 12:41 PM
Well one thing is certain Woodward has an apt audience that is more then willing to buy into any* conspiracy theory regarding Bush and Iraq. Shocking that he made a book about it!! Unbelievable that he released it now!!

All and all Woodwards "big scoop" is that we where planning on going to war with Iraq and where thus making contigency plans for that eventuality. Well holy shit! knock me over with old news Woodward.

Course it all a big vast conspiracy made up of secret shemers with plans of world domination through the sale of Coke products..or some shit.

Conspiracies are so much more sexier then reality.

I doubt he said it like that. More then likely that is spin by Woodward of something he said taken out of context or made to appear "bad" in some form. Of course though it plays better to those who will buy into anything.

Amazing how it feeds right into the mindsets of those who are opposed/hate/etc Bush and those who have loony ideas of the why's of Iraq.

Its like it was crafted that way or something...lol

Well he is definately right that he will sell alot of copies of his new book to a base of people who are salivating for anything that makes their fantasies seem real.

Yeah whatever..call me a sheep and get it over with if that is going to be the extent of your replies.

Nope he wrote a book that aids you in your fantasies..Its all True!

Blah blah blah I hate Democrats blah blah blah.

Vice
April 19th, 2004, 12:46 PM
Is that what I said?

Nope.

Nice Try.

Grindel
April 19th, 2004, 12:48 PM
Sorry Clownie, if it's good for the goose it's good for the gander. Try using the nuh uh instead though.

kaisann
April 19th, 2004, 12:49 PM
Are you denying that you hate democrats? I think your posting history speaks for itself :p

Vice
April 19th, 2004, 12:50 PM
Go ahead lie.

ClaudShatterglass
April 19th, 2004, 12:53 PM
What the fuck are you, the Ministry of Truth?

Yeah, I know the literary reference isn't going to be caught, but I figured some of you would get that. <3

Eamin
Go ahead lie.

Blah blah blah I love President Bush blah blah?
Blah I love President Bush blah blah blah!

Deranged Creature
I like cheetos with ranch dressing

Eamin
April 19th, 2004, 12:54 PM
What the fuck are you, the Ministry of Truth?

It's from Hemingway's 1936, for those of you not in the know.

ClaudShatterglass
April 19th, 2004, 12:56 PM
God, wasn't that a great book?

Vice
April 19th, 2004, 12:58 PM
Whats wrong?

Is it too much for you guys to deal with the subject I brought up that you need to either create your own or start some stupid shit flinging contest?

Oh wait this is Graffes of course thats the case.

Grindel
April 19th, 2004, 01:00 PM
If your point is that he will sell books to people who are predisposed to buying the kind of book he wrote, well that's the brainiest brainy thingie you've posted on Graffes, like, ever. What that point has to do with the cost of tea in China you have yet to describe.

ClaudShatterglass
April 19th, 2004, 01:01 PM
If your point is that he will sell books to people who are predisposed to buying the kind of book he wrote, well that's the brainiest brainy thingie you've posted on Graffes, like, ever.
Popcorn emotes? Endless and unguided rage against teh liberals?

Fuck, you're right.

What that point has to do with the cost of tea in China you have yet to describe.
I made my point, which is irrelevant to your point.

This really sucks for the Democrats.

Eamin
April 19th, 2004, 01:03 PM
God, wasn't that a great book?

Yes, yes it was. Best ending ever.

Whats wrong?

Is it too much for you guys to deal with the subject I brought up that you need to either create your own or start some stupid shit flinging contest?

Oh wait this is Graffes of course thats the case.

BLAH BLAH BLAH I HATE DEMOCRATS BLAH!

ClaudShatterglass
April 19th, 2004, 01:06 PM
See, here's your problem. You've posted so much inane, random "i hate teh liberals" garbage since you came here that no one takes you seriously when you try to start up a new subject. I personally didn't think you were trying to start a subject; rather, I thought it was more angsty "I hate teh liberals" garbage without thought or preconception.

Perhaps the problem lies in your delivery, and, surprisingly enough, not with everyone else on the board.

Vice
April 19th, 2004, 01:12 PM
Grindel-

My point is he intentionally WROTE* the book in a way to appeal to the conspiracy theorist nutbags in this nation. Or to those already holding some grudge against Bush. Since this is the case ANYTHING said within it should be taken with a huge grain of salt..but then thats not the case is it.

In this thread you already have evidence of the point I was making. Now granted most of it is from people who are already off to the loony bin side of things but then wasn't my point that this book was written by Woodward specifically to appeal to those people......HOLY SHIT it was.

Yyidth
April 19th, 2004, 01:13 PM
As for the Saudis, Woodward goes on to describe the close family ties between Bush and the Saudi prince. In fact, he claims that the prince not only supported Bush's war in Iraq, but also plans to cut oil prices prior to this year's election to help the US economy and promote another Bush victory.
I do hope that's true, it'd be nice for gas to get cheaper.

As for the rest, ya ya, Bush is evil, he's killing baby's and destroying the environment, ya ya, get a new song.

Grindel
April 19th, 2004, 01:14 PM
Claud's little edit in post #41 is a clever little tactic he's trying to use TO DISTRACT US FROM THE FACT THAT HE IS ACTUALLY VICE! It's true, just like Eamin is Torcer! This is a no-spin zone so don't try and pull that partisan politics crap here!

ClaudShatterglass
April 19th, 2004, 01:15 PM
Shut the fuck up, I finally have an account where I don't care if I get banned!

Eamin
April 19th, 2004, 01:17 PM
As for the rest, ya ya, Bush is evil, he's killing baby's and destroying the environment, ya ya, get a new song.

BLAH BLAH BLAH I hate Democrats BLAH BLAH!

Yyidth
April 19th, 2004, 01:29 PM
BLAH BLAH BLAH I hate Democrats BLAH BLAH!
Feel sad for the deluded is more accurate.

Mitebe
April 19th, 2004, 01:30 PM
self pity is a sign that you need help.

Eamin
April 19th, 2004, 01:44 PM
Well, I've had all the fun I can with that particular right-wing mantra.

Yyidth
April 19th, 2004, 01:47 PM
self pity is a sign that you need help.
hehe

Ringo
April 19th, 2004, 02:30 PM
Maybe I'm missing something, but Rush spent this morning screaming about this book, and I'm not sure why.

What, exactly, is the big deal to conservatives about Bush talking to God?

The stuff about Powell and Cheney has been hinted at from various sources (including Fox News -- whom Rush singled out this morning as a right-wing news organization, for those of you still trying to pretend it's not) for years now.

The Saudi thing has also percolated for a while, and ever since the Ayatollah released the Tehran hostages the day Jimmy Carter left office just to humiliate him a little bit more, we've known that foreign leaders will do what they do to get things to spin their ways. I doubt the Saudis are under anyone's thumb, including Bush's, but would they be inclined to do what they can to support the guy who's going to be most amenable to them? Of course -- so does every business in America with any sort of influence.

What, exactly, is the big liberal conspiracy (using first-person interviews from the White House, including two two-hour interviews with Bush himself) accomplishing here? Getting people who weren't going to vote for Bush to not vote for Bush? Say what?